YANKEE SCREWDRIVERS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
digitalbot":3vq0b4gk said:
When I was an apprectice in a previous life...many years ago I had the pleasure of having to dismantle and repair about 50 various types of yankees used in the shop. They are prettyeasy to do.

Hi digitalbot,

Any chance of a step-by-stem description of how you dismantle them? I have one where the slider for altering the direction of rotation needs replacing, but I've been a bit nervous of attempting the dismantling 8-[

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi,

You can get parts from Stanley Tools in the USA.
http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/

I just ordered some parts for a Stanley 80 scraper plane that I found in the skip at work and they came in under a week!

Pete

Ordered a set of adapters from Lee Valley June 24th they arrived today!
Only $32.00 US including air mail. Excellent service and nice adapters accept short magnetic and click fit bits no duty to pay ( I think because they cost less than $19) :tool:

Regards Tom

I have ordered some just waiting for delivery now, my foreman has broken his collar bone so am getting by using his pozi bit till they come.

Dennis

Paul Chapman":23mrt6iw said:
I don't have a lathe so I'm hoping Chisel will show me how to make one on his.

Paul

Sure will Paul, hoping to book a few days off work in the next week or two so will let you know and we can make a few shavings :D

Cheers, Paul :D

chisel":2eedk4yx said:
Paul Chapman":2eedk4yx said:

Paul

Sure will Paul, hoping to book a few days off work in the next week or two so will let you know and we can make a few shavings :D

\:D/ \:D/

Paul Chapman":3muxa0h3 said:
chisel":3muxa0h3 said:
Paul Chapman":3muxa0h3 said:

Paul

\:D/ \:D/

You'll be pleased to hear that my turning is a little bit better than my sawing and dovetailing :lol:

Any chance of a step-by-stem description of how you dismantle them? I have one where the slider for altering the direction of rotation needs replacing, but I've been a bit nervous of attempting the dismantling 8-[

I'll have think about it this weekend and try and post something next week.
You'll need some degreaser, a wire brush and a clean flat surface with no holes in it or underneath ( so you dont loose the little fiddly bits ) Should take about an hour in all to strip and reassemble.
Watch this space

Most of the Stanleys have the same basic mechanism, just a bit bigger or smaller depending on the model. But I suppose that Stanley have economised over the years ( an understatement I think ) and some of the internals are a bit different ( I learnt this on all pre-eighties models ) but it looks like you all have mostly older models, as I do - and i'll be going by a 135A that I have.
Work on a clean, flat surface with a lightish background ( a light coloured old sheet or large cloth over a table would do ) so you can see small bits if you drop them. And have a piece of paper and a pencil handy to make notes about what goes where and what way round it is.
First clean the extending ratchet mechanism with a wire brush and get all the muck off. If you use it for mainly woodwork it shouldn't be too bad but if it's ever encountered any metalwork and grease, they do clog up. It should pretty much shine when done.
Then remove the tiny grub screw holding the cylindrical chrome cover onto the gear housing. Set the selector to the middle lock position. To remove the housing slide it backwards whilst depressing the tiny ridged selector button. Take it slowly because the thing is sprung slightly. You may need to depress it fully into the slot with a small screwdriver or something similar. ( If you find that the selector has gone a bit limp over the years and it's not really worn or in need of replacing, use a pair of needle nose pliers and carefully bend the sides downwards slightly along the folds that are already there to give it more resistance upwards in the slot. ) There is also a flat selector cover which sits on top of the ridged selector which should come out with it.
Take note of the position of the "h" selector shims when the chrome cover is removed and what it all looks like for when you go to reassemble.
Remove the "h" shaped gear selector shims. Make a note of which one goes to the top and which goes to the bottom ( although you can usually tell by looking underneath at the worn, shiny part ) If those two are very worn you can sometimes reverse them on reassembly, ie: top to bottom and vice versa and get it to work fine.
Remove the big endcap screw from the handle and take out the big spring. The ratchett will be limp now.
On the back of the gear housing you will see three little metal spigots that have to be removed to continue dissassembly ( well the top two do..I've never removed the bottom one. But it must do something ) Carefully drift them out. Some are stiff, some just fall out. The small one goes into the center slot and holds the two brass forward and reverse gears apart and the top one prevents the ridged locking collar from being removed. Now unscrew the ridged locking collar and slide it up the ratchett being careful because underneath it are two small ball bearings. If it's badly worn they will drop out. Now slide the brass gears up the ratchett shaft and start cleaning with whatever you use.
At this point you may ask, "how do I get the ratchett to come apart from the handle". The short answer is i've never had to take it off because when I was doing this and getting paid ( ha! ) we had heavy-duty compressed air hoses and I just blew the rubbish out of the little housing with that. I noticed in this thread that Karl said he had stripped one down so I would be interested to hear how far he got and if he managed to get the thing apart totally. It certainly comes apart because Stanley sell the spares and you cannot replace a broken ratchett, or anything else, without doing so.
If this is a far as you need to disassemble then use a small toothbrush with cleaner/degreasent and maybe an old collet brush to get it clean in the gear housing ( fiddly but do-able ) and all the other bits. If you wash the degreaser out of the housing afterwards just let it all dry in a warm place overnight.
The brass forward and reverse gears may need a tidy up with a needle file to sharpen up any worn edges and remove any burrs.
When everything is clean just give it all a light oil and reassemble in the reverse order. It should feel a lot smoother now when in use. :p

Can't do that with a bloody 300 quid li-ion drill!
And they don't last 40+ years!!

Having read the thread and ordered a set of Lee Valley adapters I spotted some on the Bay so I have been waiting to see what they go for :shock:

ebay link

I reckon auction fever took over :lol: The same buyer also got the other two sizes for £5.50 and £9.00 hope they at least combine postage :p

Regards Tom

Many thanks for taking the trouble to do that description, digitalbot - I'll order the part I need and give that a go.

Paul

Dennis,

I have managed to hang onto the bits for my Yankees, as there came a time when Tennis-elbow caused me to abandon the Yankee and fit the bits into an electric drill. I think this was about ten years before the first dedicated power driver, but I doubt I'm the only one to have done this.

If you are stuck, I will check tomorrow to see if I have a spare bit, because I have two of the larger Yankees. One of them is u/s, and I am sure I didn't ever throw out the bits.

HTH

John :)

John

Thanks a lot for the offer it is much appreciated but as the adaptors are due any day now and I have use of my foremans no2 pozi bit while he has a broken collarbone I should be fine.I also have a snap-on ratchet screwdriver that I use a lot for smaller screws.

Regards

Dennis

Well the lee valley adaptors arrived today,they look good quality,I see that it says made in taiwan on the boxes.I should have no trouble if I break any bits now.

Dennis

Yes John I agree, its just a pity that we dont see made in great britain on as many things now.

Dennis

Agree Dennis; in fact I begin to wonder what is Great about Britain any more. Listening to conversations on the bus this last month or so, makes me realise why there are so many glum faces in the streets!

All the best and I hope the adapters prove to be the answer. At least, after a day's work, you don't have to plug in a Yankee-Driver!

Regards
John :)

Latest posts

Back