YANKEE SCREWDRIVERS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grinding one

Is it true that where the brits say that something is US meaning un-serviceable, the yanks say it is GB meaning goddam busted.

Dennis

dennis":31n5jw4h said:
Grinding one

Is it true that where the brits say that something is US meaning un-serviceable, the yanks say it is GB meaning goddam busted.

Dennis
I think another couple of quaint expressions from across the water are FUBAR or possibly SNAFU, both equally descriptive for somat wot's broke :lol: - Rob

Rob

U/s was the term we used in the RN for something that was unserviceable or useless. Here's another 'acronym' from my Navy days;

A Sanfu

A Self-Adjusting-Naval-Foul-up!
regards
John
:)

John - one does of course have to use one's imagination and substitute a more appropriate adjective (is it and adjective?...I think so) in the correct place. As my old dad was Fleet Air Arm for 25 years (hence the reason I hate it when folk refer to 'planes'... I use planes, my dad always worked on aircraft all his life) your expression was often heard when I were a lad as well :wink: :lol: As a matter of interest, Yankee screwdivers were banned in the FAA, one slip when driving a screw in the surface skin of an aeroplane and the bit went right thru' :oops: - Rob, who's just waiting for the matelots terminology for someone in the FAA :wink:

John - if we ever meet at a Bash or show you can have 'gulpers'...and I haven't heard those two RN terms for many a year now :lol: - Rob

Back