Yankee adaptors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":1y1zg34s said:
Yankees are very expensive new but I find that these days you can pick up second-hand ones in excellent condition for about a tenner because so few people seem to use them now. All of mine except the one I bought in 1971 are second-hand.

"They saw you coming". Going rate round here is a fiver in excellent nick, a quid if you're lucky.

Mind you, some of them have clearly seen hard and extended use, in itself an advert for their effectiveness.

BugBear (who wouldn't use one on a straight slot screw)

It's years since I used a yankee. I had to think why I didn't like using them then I remembered Phillips screws were invented and I couldn't get a phillips bit to fit the yankee. Then I remembered how many times the yankee had slipped from the screws and became a good imitation of a chisel gun wrecking the wood with bloody great gouges. Then I remembered how often the yankee siezed up and needed a drop of oil to make it work, then I remembered if you touched the oiled spiral you got covered in black dirty oil and no matter how careful I was this dirty oil ended up on the wood or walls that had just been painted.

So three cheers to evolution \:D/ and my
gsr108+bag.jpg

I've found a small Yankee the best thing for very small screws. A time ago I had to install dozens of hinges to a very thin-walled kitchen cabinets with 1,8 x 12 mm screws and it was damn hard with a screwdriver, not to even speak a heavy cordless. With a yankee they went in pop pop pop and not a single slot was damaged. After that I grew to appreciate the yankees and have found plenty of use for them.

I would say that they are at their best with straight slotted screws. Although they may jump as well, they do it far less than a cordless. It has to do something with the extra push; the tighter the screw, the more you push and the better the grip in the slot.

For phillips screws they still are OK, but for modern self-tapping wood screws I wouldn't think about it but wuold head straight to my cordless. for renovation jobs I prefer to use large screws instead of large nails and a 6x120 mm screw sinks in with a squeak when using a good cordless. Wouldn't even try with a Yankee. But maybe I should try after all...

Pekka

Was that the one with the long thin battery that slid up into the handle?

Yes Prom it was, I was still an apprentice then when I bought that there was a 7.2v one before that.

I never liked using Yankees as if you slipped then you quiet often stabbed yourself or damaged the work. Yeah yeah yeah I know what your gonna say any tool is dangerous if your not careful but I just think you are more likely to have an accident with a Yankee.

I am sure I can get more torque from my Makita impact driver than I could ever get with a Yankee.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been after one of them for a while.

I like my mini yankee. With a proper pilot hole it's effortless, speedy and fuss free. I also like my manual toothbrush.

Why do I like my Yankee screwdriver?

Like all tools, there is a knack to using it and once you have that knack it works really well to do its job. And I don't need to worry whether the battery will last the job.

The knack is to make sure that you don't pop the blade out of the screwhead - there are two parts in this. First, as the handle goes back, you have to keep forward pressure at the bit end. That's why there is the knurled piece just behind the bit. The other part of the knack is that the forward push needs to increase the pressure until the handle starts moving forward - not timidly but , to use sailors' parlance, "handsomely". It is like balancing accellerator and clutch when taking off in a manual car heading up a steep hill - if you are too fierce with either you will stall or kangaroo hop the car.

Cheers

Jeremy

Yeah cheers Bugbear

I do have a brace the stanley one with the white collars the best one of the Stanley ones back then, don't get much use of that either I only used that with an expanding bit for Yale locks etc. How much torque do you think you can get with one ?

Oh and jmk89,

I am sure I have got the knack of using a Yankee by now, i've been a Carpenter & Joiner for over 20 years. The Yankee I have is the longest one I think it must be 18" long and I don't care how careful you are there will come a time when you slip with it.

With a combination of a proper pilot hole and a bit of advanced screwdriver holding technique you should be sorted for fuss free insertion of screws in most places.

Me wonders if perhaps your pilot holes aren't properly matched to the screw guage - that'd mean you'd be needing to apply extra effort which would likely lead to more slippages.

I have to confess to being a total klutz with Yankees. My father swore by them and had several, but I always managed to lose the slot and end up scratching whatever I was working on. I've developed a sort of aversion to them as a result. But from what you are all saying, perhaps I should persevere?

So, I've been out and bought one. Time to overcome irrational fears and memories of childhood failures.

It's a Millers Falls 610A - any good? Shortage of bits, but apparently they 'come in all the time, just haven't got any at the minute'. Weighs a ton, spring like a mule's kick.

Tips for use/maintenance?

Smudger":v4f6q2kd said:
perhaps I should persevere?

Yes :) And remember, you don't have to use the pump action all the time - you can use them just like a normal screwdriver. And if you get yourself an adaptor, you can have bits that will suit every type of screw :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

chipp71970":3t7rbo8x said:
Oh and jmk89,

I am sure I have got the knack of using a Yankee by now, i've been a Carpenter & Joiner for over 20 years. The Yankee I have is the longest one I think it must be 18" long and I don't care how careful you are there will come a time when you slip with it.

chipp71970

I was not trying to be critical of anyone, but just to answer the question that was asked about why those of us who like using a yankee screwdriver do so. I used to make it jump out everytime I used it and chewed up screwheads and fingers - so I didn't like them. But then I thought about it, worked on my technique and I found them really useful and that I don't damage as many screwheads as with a power driver! Probably I should work on my technique with power tools!

This has been a timely thread as I discovered my old one lurking in the back of a cabinet recently and then acquired another when clearing out my old mans garage for him, but not having much of a selction of bits was going to get rid of them via ebay or a secondhand shop.

Seeing this thread though I think I'll hang on to them and get a couple of the adaptors. Like the potential for extra torque and reach if nothing else....

Cheers, Paul. :D

I came across a yankee style wire brush in my FIls garage the other day. I could not work out if its was a local bodge or an actual bone fide tool.
I'll try and remember to take a picture next time I'm there.

Andy

Back