Yankee adaptors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the magnetic ones, my local Builders merchant still has some CK ones.

Jason

Facom used to have them in their range, as did SAM (both are engineering tool suppliers, but both make spiral screwdrivers). Yopu should have asked earlier :lol: I have a couple of sizes from Belzer (German)

Scrit

Russell":1ryumdra said:
Trend have been doing the quick chuck in the Snappy range for ages only in one size to fit a Yankee screw driver

Yes, but it's very large in diameter and only takes bits with longer, grooved shanks unless you use another adaptor with it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Kierstead":4ou7dvbq said:
dchenard":4ou7dvbq said:
I'm visiting my LV store tomorrow =D> \:D/ :D

DC

I think you'll be disappointed. That new "check store availability" feature is great!

It is indeed, thanks for pointing it out!

I can wait another week, it's not a life or death situation :wink:

DC

dchenard":qyvn3g33 said:
It is indeed, thanks for pointing it out!

I can wait another week, it's not a life or death situation :wink:

On the upside, earlier today it was unavailable by mail-order, but now it is. So is is percolating out pretty quick.

I like my Yankee, but I'll admit the rechargable drill is one of the tools I like. And that Festool one really really appealed to me.

I have had the magnetic adapters that Boker make (if I can find them in Sydney, they must be available over there) - they are great and have rejuvenated the Yankee screwdrivers I inherited (which had one mangled Phillips head and nothig to use on all the new-fangled heads).

I would be lost without my Yankee!

Alf":1wsua7h8 said:
That recurring topic of getting holders for hex bits to fit Yankee screwdrivers may now have to die
When what she obviously meant was "this gives us another opportunity to cover the same ground"... :roll: :lol:

Denis, d'you have to rub in the "visiting my LV store" thing quite so thoroughly? ](*,) Started reading the LV catalogue with a pen and paper to hand last night, which is a very worrying development... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":dzishy9r said:
Denis, d'you have to rub in the "visiting my LV store" thing quite so thoroughly? ](*,) Started reading the LV catalogue with a pen and paper to hand last night, which is a very worrying development... :shock:

You're right Alf, I shouldn't rub it in like that [-X :mrgreen:

But you know, there's a downside to having a store nearby, it's all too easy to jump in the car and go on an impulse buying spree... Not that it has ever happened to me O:) :^o :lol:

Living away from a store saves money!

DC

I have not used my Yankee for ages think I stopped using it when I got my first cordless drill, a Makita 9.6v the ones that came in the old metal cases, about 20 years ago.

What do you guys find so special about the old Yankee screwdrivers ?

chipp71970":cvky0emt said:

I've had one of mine for 36 years and haven't had to change the battery yet :lol:

Paul

chipp71970":w8fqi957 said:
. . .I stopped using it when I got my first cordless drill, a Makita 9.6v the ones that came in the old metal cases, about 20 years ago.. . .

Was that the one with the long thin battery that slid up into the handle?

Like you I lost interest in my Yankee when I got a cordless - especially as on a couple of occasions I seem to remember catching the web of skin between thumb and forefinger in the mechanism :evil:

Steve (who won't be rushing out to buy an adaptor)

Paul Chapman":stkqmmim said:
chipp71970":stkqmmim said:

I've had one of mine for 36 years and haven't had to change the battery yet :lol:

Thinking about this a bit more seriously, for most screwdriving jobs, I find the Yankee one of the best designed screwdrivers ever. I have about five of them and use them all the time. Most people seem to have gone over to cordless drill/drivers these days but I've never seen the need to buy one (plus I hate anything which is battery dependent and the good ones are very expensive). Yankees are very expensive new but I find that these days you can pick up second-hand ones in excellent condition for about a tenner because so few people seem to use them now. All of mine except the one I bought in 1971 are second-hand.

Paul

Apart from the battery issue, one of the things I like about Yankees is their length. Lock out the bigg'un at full stretch and you can get some pretty good torque (someone will now tell me it's either a) not torque, or b) I'm doing untold harm to my Yankees by such use, or c) both - go on, I can take it). Heck, you can stand a couple of feet away from the screw and still reach it, and that's proved very handy once or twice. And what's not to like about the elegant simplicity of the spiral action? That ziiiip-pop as you unlock it (springed versions only, natch). 'Course there's also the ding-in-the-work issue with the spring type sometimes, so you need at least two of each size - one with spring and one without. My kinda tool. :D

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back