would you go veggie ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm never going to go veggie, and I reckon most people won't, but I think we'll have to make some changes as meat inevitably becomes scarcer and more expensive:

1) more meat-free days (just like the old days) - egg, cheese, veg meals.
2) meat used for flavouring rather than in big slabs - except for special occasions - (just like the old days); hotpots, stews, and using a proportion of cheaper meat (like putting lardons of bacon into a beef casserole).
3) all parts of the animal eaten, so more offal, sausage etc., and not chucking away male calves or older milk animals (just like the old days).

In fact, pretty much the way I eat in France, when my weight goes down and my blood glucose becomes much more easily controlled!

studders":1m2cwojf said:
Actually I'm a cooks worst nightmare, a vegetarian who's not that keen on most vegetables. :?

I am probably a worse nightmare, I am allergic to GARLIC!
I love any form of meat, and have enjoyed many offal dishes whilst living in Crete. Love seafood. Make a very good (I am told) mushroom risotto and a number of vegetarian biased soups , though Suzy's favourite is my Steak and Kidney Suet Pudding.
However my favourite is her roast fore-rib of beef, which is what I invariably buy when she sends me to the local butcher :lol:
Edit:- I forgot to mention the roast Parsnips and spuds done in goose fat, if the site crashes it is due my salivating :wink:

Daren't give up meat - I fear the butcher will put into practice the "Family Butcher" part of the operation and take his revenge on us all... Besides which a life without bacon is a life not worth living.

Cheers, Alf

Would I go veggie?

Yes.........every time I travel to Africa. Which has meant 6 month long veggieness in the past.

We in Britain eat way, way too much meat at the moment, but eat about a tenth what the average white South African, Namibian or Zambian eats!!! If you ever want to see carnivor-ism at its most outrageous, attend a "braaivleis" (BBQ) in southern Africa.

My daughters are veggie.....but will eat bambis. That is a nice half-way house, I reckon.

Mike

I cooked mussels tonight. Big, fleshy ones. I was only just thinking, how old are they? Are they just this season's or are they a few years old? I don't know. But it seems very extravagant to "grow" an animal for a couple of years and then devour it all at one meal.

I, too, think that meat is really a luxury (from a global economy point of view) that we in the rich West take too much for granted. Of course I like it, and whilst I do have a few ace veggie recipes in my repertoire, I find that after a few days of meatlessness I'm missing the structure, the texture of a good piece of animal flesh.

Having said that, I'm almost invariably disappointed when I buy a steak. Perhaps I'm just a lousy cook (but I'm not!) or perhaps I'm simply not experienced enough in cooking steak (much more the case), but it's always disappointing. Even in restaurants.

Still, it will soon be academic, as I'll have no kitchen (let alone a workshop) and I'll be living on the OOD stuff thrown away by the local Sainsbury's. Ah, the progress of life! :)

Big Issue, Big Issue!

S

Smudger":11aw0qfg said:
I'm never going to go veggie, and I reckon most people won't, but I think we'll have to make some changes as meat inevitably becomes scarcer and more expensive:

1) more meat-free days (just like the old days) - egg, cheese, veg meals.
2) meat used for flavouring rather than in big slabs - except for special occasions - (just like the old days); hotpots, stews, and using a proportion of cheaper meat (like putting lardons of bacon into a beef casserole).
3) all parts of the animal eaten, so more offal, sausage etc., and not chucking away male calves or older milk animals (just like the old days).

In fact, pretty much the way I eat in France, when my weight goes down and my blood glucose becomes much more easily controlled!

Yep - I think the years (decades) of plenty are over and it's probably going back to the way things were, when I was a child. Meat on weekends if you were lucky. Certainly not everyday or more than once each day!

We tried the veggie thing for a while a few years ago but couldn't get on with it.
Tofu... :sick: :sick:
A nice bit of roast pig with well nuked crackling, stuffing and apple sauce plus a heap of roast spuds and a helping or two of just done veg with some good rbg takes some beating - Rob

Dibs - Yes, I should have said that as a child we ate like that. Big lump of meat on Sunday, but much less through the week, lots of veg (home grown) and fresh bread. Pastry, suet and Yorkshire pudding to bulk meals out.

I wonder how much the supermarkets have to answer for here, with food so cheap, farmers struggling and the market skewed to unhealthy products. Portion sizes out of control - we often buy steak and freeze half - it's still a bigger portion than the equivalent in France.

But then, do we now expect women to stay in the kitchen and produce all meals from scratch using old-style cooking skills, making pastry and so on? For most people that isn't even an economic possibility.

woodbloke":y5sjebtb said:

Tofu can be tasty but it depends how it is cooked. I always prepare a marinade first (a mixture of honey, lemon and ginger is a good one :) ) then slice the tofu into about a dozen pieces. These go into a shallow frying pan with a little hot oil (you don't need much) and they are fried until golden brown on all sides. Then they are removed from the pan and immersed in the marinade straight away. It is important to do this while the tofu is still hot or it will not absorb the flavour of the marinade.

Let the tofu cool and either use it straight away in a stir fry or freeze it. It freezes very well and does not require defrosting. Just throw it into a hot wok and the tofu will be defrosted after a minute or so.

not a chance :lol:

my favorite has to be pheasant ( perks of being the farmer son best buddy :lol: )roast of course with all the sidings 2 weeks and i should get the first of the season
and pigeon is a close second

as i shoot, i always try and use what i kill so rabbits, pigeon, collard doves, ill happy munch down.
currently im working on a poultry and pig farm making chicken house and helping out (im 17) anyhow although i dont really like watching the saluter (we have a butcher come in and saluter the odd pig for the workers) unless im helping and am still perfectly happy to eat them.. this is getting off topic know :oops:

if im honest when i look at something i have shot or help feed i feel like i know the animal has had a good life and its end was quick and painless, if we get something from tesco i always wonder how its life was :shock:

Pork... but it's still snuffling in the orchard.... until Sunday! :twisted:

I was veggie for 10 years and only stopped because I met my wife who was a committed carnivore.

One of the best veggie restaurants I have ever been to was on our last trip back to Taiwan, though. Situated in Taipei, these are a couple of platefuls - absolutely delicious! :D

Dave

Been total veggie for about 28yrs now, used to love a bacon butty with all the other apprentices at work all them years ago but never missed it at all. It was a cruelty thing for me after something I saw on tv and it turned me completely off meat and also fish, yes I do drink milk and yes I wear leather shoes and again yes I`m an easy target for the lads at work :lol: but WTF. Never thought it right to force my kids veggie they can decide for themselves. Just my two pennuth :lol:
Regards
Steve

That's what I like to see Steve, an example but not force, so in most things. Good on yer!

Roy.

Back