would you go veggie ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend who is a total veggie and has been for many years, due to health and digestive issues, but he loves the smell of Bacon cooking :roll:

in order to eat a "balanced diet" containing long chain omega 3 (aka EPA DHA), doesn't one HAVE to eat meat in the form of oily fish?

sorry "plant based" short chain omega 3 don't count :shock:

love meat, me....

Steve

kityuser":2tvpm866 said:
in order to eat a "balanced diet" containing long chain omega 3 (aka EPA DHA), doesn't one HAVE to eat meat in the form of oily fish?

love meat, me....

Steve

I heard that on R4 this week. Apparently a lot of 'Omega 3' enriched foods (they highlighted Flora) only contain the short chain form and have no health benefits - which may include improved mental health, amongst other things.
I love meat as well, I just don't think that we'll have so much of it in the future...

Smudger":2p1mtmyh said:
kityuser":2p1mtmyh said:

love meat, me....

Steve

I heard that on R4 this week. Apparently a lot of 'Omega 3' enriched foods (they highlighted Flora) only contain the short chain form and have no health benefits - which may include improved mental health, amongst other things.
I love meat as well, I just don't think that we'll have so much of it in the future...

yup and interesting that they said that omega 6 was bad, well the ratio of 3-6 should be considered, most western diets have far too much 6 and not enough 3.
by-the-by they said omega 9 supplement are pointless as your body can synthesize it, however it can't long chain omega 3.
apparently most supermarket omega3 supplements are short chain (veg derived) and thus pointless......

Steve

I've noticed many references to vegetarians and their relationship with bacon in this thread. Some time ago I saw a programme about going vegetarian and the presenter said that fried bacon is the most common cause of vegetarians deserting their lifestyle.

Brendan

With reference to Steve Maskery's steak cooking difficulties:-
We, 'cos SWMBO loves steak too, only buy from our local butcher who has an excellent reputation. We buy ribeye steak with some marbling of fat that has been hung for the best part of a month. It is often just shown very hot olive oil for just over 2 minutes on each side ( or until it looks right) the result is pink to very pink in the centre and nicely coloured on the outside, not cremated and tough, and you do not need a "steak knife"!
If it needs a "steak knife" I don't want to eat or pay for it :wink:
Recently, herself has adopted a recipe from James Martins every day essentials book (page 24) that is very good...mmmm hope it's not fish n chips tonight!

but is it bacon per se or the smell of frying bacon that tempts veggies back to the dark side? In my experience bacon always smells better than it tastes. Come to think of it, perhaps I shouldn't eat from so many burger vans that seem to be outside every B&Q these days :roll:

Steve.

Argee":27aq3dsm said:
Why on Earth would I go vegetarian? We're carnivores, accept it - that's why our teeth are like they are, with incisors and not "grazing teeth."

Cats and dogs are carnivores too, BTW - and the inclusion of vegetables and rice in the retail brands of their food is utter nonsense too, undoubtedly based on cost and fashionable trends.

Not that I have a fixed view! :)

Ray

I believe the average lifespan of a vegetarian is seven years more than that of a non veggie.

I'm sure I heard Steve Jones, the Professor of genetics give that as the reason why he was one. Vegetarian that is, not a Professor. Perhaps someone could confirm that's what he said on Desert Island Discs.

The other reason why I don't eat a lot of meat these days is a comment made to me by a heart surgeon who only ate red meat once or possibly twice a week. More than that, he said , was not a good idea.

Cheers

Dave

Argee":3b564wh0 said:
Why on Earth would I go vegetarian? We're carnivores, accept it - that's why our teeth are like they are, with incisors and not "grazing teeth."

Cats and dogs are carnivores too, BTW - and the inclusion of vegetables and rice in the retail brands of their food is utter nonsense too, undoubtedly based on cost and fashionable trends.

Not that I have a fixed view! :)

Ray

As someone else said, we aren't carnivores, we are omnivores. Our background has always meant more vegetable than meat in our diets, until very recently or unless we were extremely rich (think Henry VIII).
Dogs are also omnivores, they can easily digest plant material.
Cats are a different matter, they are obligate carnivores, they need meat to survive. Humans and dogs don't.

That said, I have heard of 'vegetarian' cats (not by their choice, of course, but their owners'), but they need taurine and other trace substances, which is why you can't feed cats with dog food. 'Vegetarian' catfood is heavily laced with additives to take the place of meat.

RE: Vegetatians & bacon

The programme presenter made the point that most lapsed vegetarians floundered on bacon so maybe we can assume that the smell of the bacon cooking ultimately broke their resolve and they grabbed a big slab of best back and chomped down.

Brendan

Bacon is rich in umami, which means that not only is it delicious by itself (or rather it appeals very strongly to us) but it also adds depth of flavour to other foods. Hence the popularity of the bacon sarnie and the dog roll. We can't help it!

If the smell of bacon cooking is better than it tastes, methinks you need to buy better quality bacon. Indeed do your bit for the welfare of the pigs and British pig farmers and buy British. We've gone down the road of having pricier bacon, but less of it, which seems to work well. It's not like you need a lot of it for the flavour after all.

Cheers, Alf

JoinerySolutions":24tkubem said:
With reference to Steve Maskery's steak cooking difficulties:-
We, 'cos SWMBO loves steak too, only buy from our local butcher who has an excellent reputation. We buy ribeye steak with some marbling of fat that has been hung for the best part of a month. It is often just shown very hot olive oil for just over 2 minutes on each side ( or until it looks right) the result is pink to very pink in the centre and nicely coloured on the outside, not cremated and tough, and you do not need a "steak knife"!
If it needs a "steak knife" I don't want to eat or pay for it :wink:
Recently, herself has adopted a recipe from James Martins every day essentials book (page 24) that is very good...mmmm hope it's not fish n chips tonight!

I was in a relatively posh restaurant recently and i ordered a steak. Now i am very fussy about how it's cooked, i like it seared and bloody. When i ordered it the waitress said ahh 'Black and Blue then' Perfect description for the perfect steak. Not one i'd heard before.

Jack London said that the best way to cook a steak was to heat a skillet to smoking, and stand on the other side of the room and throw the steak at the skillet. Just before it lands you should turn it over and serve.

He also said that the best martini was made by filling a glass with gin and letting sunlight through a bottle of Vermouth shine on it.

Ever read about Jack London's time in Japan Smudger, or how he came to write 'Call of the Wild?'

Roy.

No I don't. Just read the books at school. The Call of the Wild especially, and short stories, which were considered formative reading back then, or at least a thoughtful good yarn. I don't know how popular he is now. I remember one story about a trapper who falls into a river and realises that he has got just a few seconds to strike a match to light a fire. The match goes out and he dies. I think that story has a lot of depth.
Tell me about Japan!

Back