Would a chisel be the right tool for removing waste wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldste

Reaction score
First I apologise if this is the wrong section. So I‘m new to all of this and still learning about the various tools and technique. I need some advice about removing this excess wood so the other part can drop down into I think its called a half lap joint. I‘ve cut the first bit of wood out. So would a chisel be the best option thanks in advance
5D2EF50C-CF30-4F20-8361-4E630DA96882.jpeg
0FA2440A-D055-439A-AA44-C667F7C37693.jpeg
4AA6BA1D-8266-45A5-ABCE-534DF8F9759F.jpeg

Make saw cuts like a "half blind dovetail" beforehand, and a forstner bit or even 10mm holes with regular bit if you like, should the timber be dense, although you could do a few more cuts instead.

Could even use a scraper and tap it in if it were soft stuff, just dont tap your cheap (i.e disposable hardpoint) tenon saw even though it might work, it would likely damage the tool.

Fireplace or something like that, barn roof, could be a boat perhaps, a not so common approach to many things furniture wise,
One could guess this might be for a bench?

Tom

saw + chisel, also never cut joints where there are knots, even with practise joints, try and find a piece where there are no knots where the joints go together if possible.

Back