World Cup - Fans and fanatics thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brittleheart":3vzdoot9 said:
ByronBlack":3vzdoot9 said:
I think we'll get a result.

The one thing of which we can be absolutely certain is that we will get a result. The question is, will it be the result we want. :roll:

Good point, its hard to tell at the moment. I think there is a clear division and animosity in the squad, excerbated by Terry's latest stunt, who knows how they will react, the talent and ability is there, but whether the focus and desire is another thing.

I don't hate football and just because I live in France I don't do anything but love the country that I and my forefathers were born in, but I do hate the situation where you have a bunch rather than a team claiming to represent any country.

As for if they are paid for this tournament? They, with their meagre pay packet can afford to take a couple of weeks off to show the glory for their country can't they?

My neighbours will soon know if England do well in their next game because they will hear me!

Mike.C":2jcjnb0n said:
Jonzjob":2jcjnb0n said:
More like good bye to the French footballers. Can't call them a team and our French neighbours agree with me. BUT, if that wonderful bunch of foot brained, over paid persons who call themselves the England team then they will be on the next aircraft after the French me thinks!

Footballers!? There have been better school teams than these!

I just wonder if they will hesitate to collect their money?

I see that these members who hate either football, England or both cannot keep away from the topic :lol:

Cheers

Mike

I dont hate either football or england, I like the beuatiful game and i love my country,

but the narcisitic bunch of no hopers and blankers who currently constitute our national team, and if press reports are to be beileved are more concerned about who said what about whom, and who got caught shagging who's girlfreind than they are about representing our nation are a different matter

Imo they arent fit to represent us annd should be thoroughly ashamed of their performance both on and off the pitch.

I know they are "only" paid for playing their club, but they are paid extremly well for that, and national call up is part of that job (in a normal job it would be described as "any other duties as might be reasonably expected") Further more representing their country should be an honour not a chore and "lack" of payment for it is not an excuse for turning in a performance that would shame a sunday 5 a side team

I dont know why money has come into the discussion, it has nothing to do with playing national football.

Its also not part of their job either, you can represent your country without even being employed by a club.

Representing your nation in a sporting tournament should be an honour and the pinnacle of your career, I feel that a lot of these players, in both english and french teams take it for granted, and treat it with disrespect. Part of that is the management and the football association's fault (It is in the FA's interest to have their most hyped players in the squad to help with their commercial activities) for continually picking these players irrespective of their past performance or off field activities.

When you compare past england squads with this one, I have never disliked or disrespected so many individuals as the current squad.

We need to pick players on merit, and that should be based on both their footballing ability, and their off field stature. I.e no chavs, cheats, thugs or scum bags that fill the current squad.

ByronBlack":1f4uo6up said:
no chavs, cheats, thugs or scum bags that fill the current squadS.

I was thinking that the other night when I was watching some game whilst having my nosebag, there really was nothing else to watch, honest. :lol:

The cheating, the diving, the shirt pulling, the feigning injury to get someone sent off...... where the hell did all that come from? It didn't happen when I were a lad as far as I can remember.
Also, in the crowd was that Thug Zidane. There was recently some TV prog to 'Honour him' ? Honour? after what he did, and I don't care what provocation he had.
He should still be hiding his mug in total shame, not parading about like some hero.
It's about time something meaningful was done to make the Game the sporting event it once was, instead of the money circus it now is.

studders":3ja17m4z said:
It's about time something meaningful was done to make the Game the sporting event it once was, instead of the money circus it now is.

In the unlikely event that that ever happens I may start to take an interest in it again. I am not holding my breath.

ByronBlack":2vsjrwh4 said:
They don't get paid to play for their national team. Only their clubs.

Actually they do get paid for playing an international, but no England player takes this money instead it is donated to the "team England charity"

Doctor":2wiy9r35 said:
ByronBlack":2wiy9r35 said:
They don't get paid to play for their national team. Only their clubs.

Actually they do get paid for playing an international, but no England player takes this money instead it is donated to the "team England charity"

That is correct, their match fee's have always been given to charity, it can't be seen as a wage, as you correctly point out that the players don't (and can't) collect it.

studders":3u4nab6m said:

Sadly, I believe that's precisely why nothing every gets done to improve this or any other situation (assistance for referees, salary caps, limits on the number of foreign players/quotas for home-grown talent, etc.). These are the kind of topics and events that get people talking about the game; everyone becomes a football fan. Without so many foreign players, our Premier League becomes less of a commercial asset... You won't attract the world's biggest stars unless you're prepared to offer them ridiculous sums of money. :p

But, what can we do? :iduno:

I never fully understood the logic behind stripping John Terry of the captain's armband... Okay, so it may affect morale within the camp (then again, how many other players have done something similar - remember Rooney and the Granny-gate stories?! :sick:). But, if that's the case then, surely he should be sat at home with Michael Owen; nowhere near the rest of the squad?

Another sign of Capello/the FA's weakness in the face of the media, perhaps. :p

Though, I still rate John Terry as the best centre-back England have had in recent years. I've never been a huge fan of Ferdinand. If he is dropped though, I hope Michael Dawson gets his chance and shows Capello why he should've been in the final twenty-three initially, far ahead of Carragher and Ledley King.

I agree that the question over a lack of salary is irrelevant at international level though, I do believe bonuses are put in place for victory in the final... Club managers though, are always furious when key players come back injured from a summer tournament and, for several years now, they've been demanding compensation from FIFA. That's no excuse either but, I feel it would have slightly more relevance.

big soft moose":2f2233qe said:
Mike.C":2f2233qe said:
Jonzjob":2f2233qe said:
More like good bye to the French footballers. Can't call them a team and our French neighbours agree with me. BUT, if that wonderful bunch of foot brained, over paid persons who call themselves the England team then they will be on the next aircraft after the French me thinks!

Footballers!? There have been better school teams than these!

I just wonder if they will hesitate to collect their money?

I see that these members who hate either football, England or both cannot keep away from the topic :lol:

Cheers

Mike

I don't hate either football or england, I like the beautiful game and i love my country,

but the narcisitic bunch of no hopers and blankers who currently constitute our national team, and if press reports are to be believed are more concerned about who said what about whom, and who got caught shagging who's girlfriend than they are about representing our nation are a different matter

Imo they aren't fit to represent us and should be thoroughly ashamed of their performance both on and off the pitch.

I know they are "only" paid for playing their club, but they are paid extremely well for that, and national call up is part of that job (in a normal job it would be described as "any other duties as might be reasonably expected") Further more representing their country should be an honour not a chore and "lack" of payment for it is not an excuse for turning in a performance that would shame a sunday 5 a side team

Who mentioned you Pete, I certainly never even though of you, let alone mention you?

I am just fed up of jonzjob and barkwindjammer (especially barkwindjammer) double posting on here and the other football thread about the bleeding OXO Laughing Stock joke (within 5 posts on page 9 this has been told twice), the what he calls cheesy Neil Morrissey song (at least twice) and other rubbish.

To tell you the truth it probably is just the troll barkwindjammer who is winding me up and not jonzjob, so I really should not have quoted his post.

Cheers

Mike

News Headlines at 6pm from Sky News England 3 v 1 Slovenia, USA 1 v 0 Algeria :lol: I can dream can't I :lol:

COME ON ENGLAND

Defoe and Rooney up front it's about time.

Cheers

Mike

Get in there!!!

This is much more like the group of players we have out there!

Still a bit sloppy at times but a million times better than we have seen.

Also, what the hell was Glen Johnson doing in that tackle when he got himself booked??? Early game nerves is the only explanation for making that tackle when the player is 30 yards from his own goal on the side line!

Anyway, COME ON ENGLAND!!!

TrimTheKing":31yqs7z6 said:
Get in there!!!

This is much more like the group of players we have out there!

Still a bit sloppy at times but a million times better than we have seen.

Also, what the hell was Glen Johnson doing in that tackle when he got himself booked??? Early game nerves is the only explanation for making that tackle when the player is 30 yards from his own goal on the side line!

Anyway, COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Nice one England AND WELL DONE DEFOE

They were brilliant for 80 of the 93 minutes

BryonBlack wrote;

I guess barkwind can go choke on his oxo cube.

Yeah mate the troll! :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Back