World Cup - Fans and fanatics thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TrimTheKing":2h9md2pr said:
Also, what the hell was Glen Johnson doing in that tackle when he got himself booked??? Early game nerves is the only explanation for making that tackle when the player is 30 yards from his own goal on the side line!

He didn't get booked for that reckless challenge in the first half and got away with another one mid-way through the second half - I think there was a penalty shout against him, as well? Or, was that Upson?

Johnson did get booked for a "dive"... Basically, he did what I call the "Gerrard Tactic" (he did the same thing in 2006, at the death of the defeat to Portugal). Knock the ball past the defender but deliberately run in to him, fall to the fall and scream at the referee! :p Gerrard's looked even more pathetic as he actually changed direction to run in to the centre-back (might have been Carvalho?).

Barry and Ashley Cole also got away lightly when they should clearly have been booked in the first-half. Why was the ref so lenient towards England? The Slovenian left-back was booked immediately in the second-half for an identical challenge to the one Johnson got away with... We can't afford to lose him because, erm, we don't seem to have any alternative solutions on the bench or in the Premiership!! :D

We really should've killed the game off soon after Defoe hit the back of the net (you could also argue that the 'keeper should've saved that! :p). Although we generally played quite well, I still think we were fortunate, from then on, that Slovenia's midfielders didn't have much hope of finding a forward player with their passing! :wink:

Great to see Defoe given his chance but I was disappointed to see Rooney keep his place in the team, mainly because of his post-match comments the other night. But also, because he clearly isn't fit and is trying to fight off some kind of injury... Eriksson had a knack for doing this - fielding players who were clearly injured (Rooney, Owen and Beckham spring to mind) and only making things a lot worse. We've already lost Ledley King; let's hope history doesn't repeat itself! :?

Then again, when you look at the options on the bench (Crouch and Heskey), I guess there isn't another easy answer - unless, he decides to go with a four-man midfield, with Gerrard or Joe Cole in support of the lone striker. Problem then is that Defoe can't hold the ball up on his own.

Looks like it could be Germany next, and on BBC as well!! 8) Though, I still wish Adrain Chiles had dragged Mark Lawrenson along with him, when he went to ITV.... :D

OPJ":lcn1hb0n said:
TrimTheKing":lcn1hb0n said:
Also, what the hell was Glen Johnson doing in that tackle when he got himself booked??? Early game nerves is the only explanation for making that tackle when the player is 30 yards from his own goal on the side line!

He didn't get booked for that reckless challenge in the first half and got away with another one mid-way through the second half - I think there was a penalty shout against him, as well? Or, was that Upson?

Johnson did get booked for a "dive"...

You are of course, correct :oops:

OPJ":lcn1hb0n said:
I still wish Adrain Chiles had dragged Mark Lawrenson along with him, when he went to ITV.... :D

Tell me about it! I was screaming at the TV for him to stop trying to make stupid f&^king wisecracks that were absolutely dire!

The pick of the bunch:

Commentator (Can't remember his name): How did he think he could get away with that right under the referee's nose?
Lawro: It's a big nose.

WTF?

Commentator: I'm with you. (agreeing on something).
Lawro: I know you are.
Commentator: I wish I wasn't!

Don't we effing all! Shut the pineapple up and get on with talking about football. You're not funny so stop trying to be, you silly billy!

Grrrrrr :D

Is it only me, or did Upson play like a statue that was given just a couple of 'Pinocchio' moments?

Nothing against West Ham, but maybe we know why they are where they are?

Rooney needed to hit that effort with the outside of his right foot. Goalie wouldn't have stood a hope. But Rooney curled it the wrong way!

John :wink:

Breaking news:

The England team visited an orphanage in South Africa this morning. 'It feels good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope, constantly struggling and facing the impossible' said Jamal Umboto aged 7.

Noel":smcl8v6b said:
Breaking news:

The England team visited an orphanage in South Africa this morning. 'It feels good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope, constantly struggling and facing the impossible' said Jamal Umboto aged 7.

Brilliant :D

Well top banana's to Germany - they were great. We were pants. At best.

The goal that wasn't might have made a difference, but I doubt it. In defence we were shocking.

Still, at least I have Argentina in the sweep stake.

Cheers

Karl

Cowboy _Builder":a868psu1 said:
Oxo can now bring out a new stock flavour named after the England team ...."Laughing Stock "

I don't know why people do not read the thread. The above has been posted time and time again.

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Back