World Cup - Fans and fanatics thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going against all common sense and the lackluster rubbish they have played so far, I really do hope that we can turn things around, and even if they do not win the cup England make us proud.

Unlikely?, maybe, but I have just watched the 1966 final again, and I remember the pride we felt by England (for 4 years anyway) being the best in the world. Alright I was a young kid (and even though we let some plonker nick the bleeding cup, and it took Pickles the dog to find it) I remember that like almost every other school boy I was Geoff Hurst when I was kicking the ball about. What Englishman could not be proud of players like Hurst. And what about Ken Wolstenholme famous words

"Here comes Hurst, theres some people on the pitch, they think it's all over (then as Hurst scores his thrid and Englands forth) it is now"

Believe it or not, one of my most vived memories was going over the park after the game, and kicking the ball which hit the crossbar, bounced down, hit the line and came back out again, just like the disputed goal an hour or so earlier :lol:
But if you think about the team they have now, what school boy would dream about being any of them? On the other hand put the same players back in the premier league, and many a boy would want to be Rooney. What does this tell you, are they world class players, first class league players, or has the coach's tactics stopped them playing as good as can play.

I for one hope that we can pick ourselves up and show the world we can play a world class game, even if it means we go out in the next round, just as long we go out in style.

Cheers

Mike

I know its an obvious point, but consider Rooney for example...
He's on what, £150,000 a week at Old Trafford on first-team wages ... or on 'National Pride' in S.Africa.

Would he 'give his all' and risk a long term injury for National Pride ?
Possibly not.

Same is true for all players, not to single Wayne Rooney out as an exception.

Its the legacy of what everyone knew 30+ years ago.
"Money will ruin the game."
And its not just football. -- Sport is business now, and more to the point, BIG business.

Perhaps thats a little bit why its a fairly poor tournament so far, with quite a few lacklustre displays both on an individual and indeed team levels.. and its not confined to England.. much as ( as a Jock ), I'd like to poke tongue-in-cheek fun ... Its as much a French / German / Dutch problem in reality.
The South Americans seem to be the sides with the most national pride, and moreover, the most 'grit and determination' - particularly Paraguay, Mexico and Uruguay..

However, if you think back to the last three or four World Cups.. once the knockout stages are entered, the games do tend to take a significant upturn when it comes to being a worthwhile spectacle - they're no longer playing a game of 'working the statistics' as in the Group Stages.. its a 'kill or be killed' format, and this has traditionally meant more quality football being played.

We'll see. :wink: :D

Jenx":1sridn04 said:
I know its an obvious point, but consider Rooney for example...
He's on what, £150,000 a week at Old Trafford on first-team wages ... or on 'National Pride' in S.Africa.

Would he 'give his all' and risk a long term injury for National Pride ?
Possibly not.

Same is true for all players, not to single Wayne Rooney out as an exception.

Its the legacy of what everyone knew 30+ years ago.
"Money will ruin the game."
And its not just football. -- Sport is business now, and more to the point, BIG business.

Perhaps thats a little bit why its a fairly poor tournament so far, with quite a few lacklustre displays both on an individual and indeed team levels.. and its not confined to England.. much as ( as a Jock ), I'd like to poke tongue-in-cheek fun ... Its as much a French / German / Dutch problem in reality.
The South Americans seem to be the sides with the most national pride, and moreover, the most 'grit and determination' - particularly Paraguay, Mexico and Uruguay..

However, if you think back to the last three or four World Cups.. once the knockout stages are entered, the games do tend to take a significant upturn when it comes to being a worthwhile spectacle - they're no longer playing a game of 'working the statistics' as in the Group Stages.. its a 'kill or be killed' format, and this has traditionally meant more quality football being played.

We'll see. :wink: :D

I agree with most of what you say, but IMHO any player who does not give his all for his country has no place in the national team.

Cheers

Mike

Jenx":uel64991 said:
They certainly 'should' do .
But money's ruined it.

You would have thought 'representing your country' would be the pinnacle, wouldn't you ?

You saw it in that N.Korean guy, to whom it was 'everything'.

I agree completely, Mike. :D

You would have thought so wouldn't you, but as you say I think that money has ruined the game.

Yes I saw the North Korean guys. :lol: One of them said that in his mind he could still play, but his body was telling him a different story. In their days it was prue guts and determination that often made the difference between winning and losing.

EDIT ITALY 1 NEWZEALAND 1. :shock: LIKE ENGLAND THEY HAVE DRAWN THEIR FIRST TWO GAMES AGAINST TEAMS YOU WOULD EXPECT THEM TO SLAUGHTER. I AM NOW BEGINING TO THINK THAT THERE MUST BE SOMETHING IN THE WATER AND MAYBE ENGLAND HAS NOT DONE ANY DIFFERENT FROM MOST TEAMS. IN OTHER WORDS PLAY rubbish.Cheers

Mike

TrimTheKing":yp7r7605 said:
Obviously until Rooney kicks in and makes it his tournament... ;)

:) Thanks for that Mark, I needed cheering up ;)

I still think Germany will be there in the end, and as an outside bet, I'd tip the Chile team, they have been more impressive than brazil so far.

keeping a sense of humour is whats important at a time like this (IMHO)

Was in Tesco looking for OXO cubes, I saw beef, chicken, lamb, vegetable and England, so I said to the shop assistant, "what is the England?" and he replied, "its new out, its the laughing stock!! "

barkwindjammer":2ao6ws33 said:
keeping a sense of humour is whats important at a time like this (IMHO)

Was in Tesco looking for OXO cubes, I saw beef, chicken, lamb, vegetable and England, so I said to the shop assistant, "what is the England?" and he replied, "its new out, its the laughing stock!! "

Well, it might be worth keeping the jokes on hand until after wednesday, they might just scrape through and go into the second round, although more likely crash out in a limp performance.. but you know what, it could be worse, they could be scottish ;)

The North Koreans looking good against portugal, as did New Zealand against Italy, it goes to show that hardwork and desire are equally important as ability and skill - shame the england can't look at these teams and emulate their work ethic.

I haven't followed this thread and not read all of the way through, so I hope that this hasn't been posted before but I see that the Great British institution, Oxo, is getting in on the footballing bandwagon.

They've announced today that they're launching a new cube in honour of England's efforts in the World Cup. The stylish red and silver wrapper is being replaced by a white one with a bold red Cross of St George, and it's going to be marketed as the Laughing Stock.

I caught the second-half of that Portugal game - Ronaldo almost scored the goal of the tournament, if only it hadn't hit the bar! I didn't think the North Koreans were up to much though, it sounded as though Portugal weren't at their best in the first-half, either. Really looking forward to the game against Brazil now! 8)

Spain looked good as well though, they should've killed the game off... Would be great to see David Villa in the Premiership but, it seems as though he's destined for the Nou Camp?

Did you see the Chile game? Some of their play acting was disgraceful.

A bit of confusion coming from the England camp... Yesterday, John Terry announced that the squad would be holding a "crisis talk" to "clear the air" with Capello... Today, Frank Lampard comes out and says it was nothing like that; they sat and watched the game while Capello (the only one who spoke, apparently) told them where they went wrong? I'm sure Lampard also said there were nine players involved, and they sat around having a beer???

Something funny's going on. :?

OPJ":9o2pb8e3 said:
I

A bit of confusion coming from the England camp... Yesterday, John Terry announced that the squad would be holding a "crisis talk" to "clear the air" with Capello... Today, Frank Lampard comes out and says it was nothing like that; they sat and watched the game while Capello (the only one who spoke, apparently) told them where they went wrong? I'm sure Lampard also said there were nine players involved, and they sat around having a beer???

Something funny's going on. :?

according to the press (and ever reliable source of info i know ;)) john terry has it in for cappelo due to him having his captaincy taken away following his affair with Vanessa Perroncel, and that much of the tension in the england camp results from terry's bad attitude

steve gerrard and terry also reportedly have issues after terry named gerard as being one of those who has "plotted" against cappello

all in all a sorry state of affairs for our national team - perhaps they should all grow up and act like proffesionals instead of spoiled children

More like good bye to the French footballers. Can't call them a team and our French neighbours agree with me. BUT, if that wonderful bunch of foot brained, over paid persons who call themselves the England team then they will be on the next aircraft after the French me thinks!

Footballers!? There have been better school teams than these!

I just wonder if they will hesitate to collect their money?

Jonzjob":3cag8r2r said:
More like good bye to the French footballers. Can't call them a team and our French neighbours agree with me. BUT, if that wonderful bunch of foot brained, over paid persons who call themselves the England team then they will be on the next aircraft after the French me thinks!

They don't get paid to play for their national team. Only their clubs. Lets wait and see what happens tomorrow, I think we'll get a result.

Jonzjob":2tbaz1rs said:

I see that these members who hate either football, England or both cannot keep away from the topic :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Back