World Cup - Fans and fanatics thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug B":mhtf4y1d said:
COME ON FRANCE... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Err - did you watch them "play" tonight :?:

My heart says come on Engerlaand - head says Spain :!:

Lons":2iudp5iv said:
Doug B":2iudp5iv said:
COME ON FRANCE... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, i`m not really a football fan, but i got France in the sweepstake........... I just want the money :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doug B":3jmbio3s said:
Lons":3jmbio3s said:
Doug B":3jmbio3s said:

No, i`m not really a football fan, but i got France in the sweepstake........... I just want the money :lol: :lol: :lol:

What team has my man Studders got in the Sweepstakes (or is he even in it), because I want half :wink: :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Probably one of the most 'open' world cups in many many years...
and difficult therefore to predict the winners ...

but if push came to shove, Brazil / Spain in the final, - with Brazil lifting the trophy.

The dutch, portugal, argentina, possibly the germans, all have sides good enough to do the job too, and could do it.

To my mind, ( and based his record of goals per appearance ) Capello should have Crouch on from the get-go, in place of Heskey. He's the 'unfashionable' type of player, possibly .. but he's regularly done the biz.
There's a potential 'banana-skin' tomorrow for England against the USA - who I'm certain will not be a pushover...

David Villa will get the Golden boot, I reckon.
and also - a 'prediction' out of the ether -- Milner is going to be the star of England's campaign... he'll come on as a subbie early in the competition, secure a starting place, and play out of his skin for the duration. --

Hopefully be a good tournament. :D

studders":1jqq7zsu said:
Mike.C":1jqq7zsu said:
What team has my man Studders got in the Sweepstakes

Cheers

Mike

Errrrr.....

it might just be better if I don't say who....

and you aint getting zilch Mr C.

:lol:

I do believe studders stands a good chance if it goes to penalties

cheers

jon

JonnyD":1wvi8v1v said:
I do believe studders stands a good chance if it goes to penalties

cheers

jon

Oooohhh.. are we(they) good at them then Mr D ?

Can you tell I'm a bit of an expert on the subject? :lol:

studders":3ct2f87v said:
Mike.C":3ct2f87v said:
What team has my man Studders got in the Sweepstakes

Cheers

Mike

Errrrr.....

it might just be better if I don't say who....

and you aint getting zilch Mr C.

:lol:

WOT? You mean you come to our abode, eat us out of house and home, disappear with my mrs for 30 seconds at a time, come back and nick the dogs dinner, disappear with the dog for another 20 seconds, who I might add came back all BOSS EYED with a smile on it's face, and worst of all you nick my stash of pine. Then you will not even give me JEGLICHE LHRER GEWINNE. :lol:

Mr S you are a swine and a blaggard, and it's pistols at dawn :twisted:

Cheers

Mike.C

If England PLAY well and don't rely on other teams results fair enough

But they will need to do a lot better than the last match

2-1 win and the other team scored all the goals :roll:

WE WILL SEE :?

Jenx":34zgpxfq said:
To my mind, ( and based his record of goals per appearance ) Capello should have Crouch on from the get-go, in place of Heskey. He's the 'unfashionable' type of player, possibly .. but he's regularly done the biz.

While Heskey isn't my first choice no.9 either, I'm no fan of Peter Crouch. :p On paper, yes, his scoring record is "phenomenal". But, if you look at this in more detail, you'll see that most of his goals have come against the "minnows" of international football (Trinidad & Tobago, as a prime example from the last Word Cup). What really p****s me off is that, on any pitch, he's the tallest player... Yet, to win an header, he still has climb on the defender's shoulders and never seems to get penalised for it!! :x

Carlton Cole's not lacking in height and he can move with the ball - why couldn't we have taken him??? Bobby Zamora's been on the form of his career, this past season. I'm gutted that Dean Ashton had to retire so young. Had he been able to maintain his fitness, I reckon he could've been just what we need upfront. :(

Talking of players without any pace, I was disappointed to see Jamie Carragher (a regular score for Man United, though he is!! :D) given a place, especially when Michael Dawson was at first overlooked. If he's been bought along as an understudy to either full back, we're in trouble. He'd lose in a race against Ronaldo or Ribery before it even started! You can see why he wanted to go, though, as it's his last shot at playing in the World Cup finals.

I won't start on the Gerrard/Lampard situation - just yet...! :D

OPJ":29spsxms said:
Jenx":29spsxms said:

While Heskey isn't my first choice no.9 either, I'm no fan of Peter Crouch. :p On paper, yes, his scoring record is "phenomenal". But, if you look at this in more detail, you'll see that most of his goals have come against the "minnows" of international football (Trinidad & Tobago, as a prime example from the last Word Cup). What really p****s me off is that, on any pitch, he's the tallest player... Yet, to win an header, he still has climb on the defender's shoulders and never seems to get penalised for it!! :x

Carlton Cole's not lacking in height and he can move with the ball - why couldn't we have taken him??? Bobby Zamora's been on the form of his career, this past season. I'm gutted that Dean Ashton had to retire so young. Had he been able to maintain his fitness, I reckon he could've been just what we need upfront. :(

Talking of players without any pace, I was disappointed to see Jamie Carragher (a regular score for Man United, though he is!! :D) given a place, especially when Michael Dawson was at first overlooked. If he's been bought along as an understudy to either full back, we're in trouble. He'd lose in a race against Ronaldo or Ribery before it even started! You can see why he wanted to go, though, as it's his last shot at playing in the World Cup finals.

I won't start on the Gerrard/Lampard situation - just yet...! :D

As a spurs fan, I've had to watch Crouch attempt to play football all of last season, it's not pretty, or very effective, however, i shall forgive him for that one goal he scored at Man City to get us into the champs league!

I wouldn't have him or or the tragically poor Heskey anywhere near the squad, and Carlton Cole for me wouldn't even get into the New Zealand squad, he can move and jump, but anything with a ball is far too taxing for him.

We have a major dirth of talent up front, so I would have personally played Rooney up front on his own, with Gerrard just behind him, that we, we wouldnt have to suffer the awful combination of Gerrard/Lampard which has not worked once in the last decade, and I can't see it magically working again - it's like groundhog day with England, you think Capello will come in and see the obvious and make right, but then as soon as the pressure is on, he reverts back to the same old rubbish that has never worked before.

Still, we should beat the awful yanks, even if its to shut Obama up for 5 minutes from slagging the brits off.

Argentina looking electric - Henize scoring a fantastic bullet header, Messi looking like the best player on the planet that he is, fantastic stuff so far, if they can keep up the pace like this, then I think everyone else will have to beware, they have so much talent up front its emberassing. Milito can't even get a start

Take your point Olly, sometimes the opposition he's scored against are a bit on the 'insignificant' side.. but then again , the fella can only score against the opposition thats in front of him... and he has done that, at least on the international stage.
I'd heard on the Tranny earlier ( and it was a few hours ago now.. ) that Wright-Phillips looks likely to start ... He's a player I like, and for my money, a heck of a lot better than the (left-at-home) Walcott .. by a country mile. - Again, an 'unfashionable' choice possibly, but I rate the guy.. & I think he may well be a lad who can turn a game for you. ( Time will tell of course !)
Joe Cole is a great wee player.. Just hope the speculation on his future after the tournemant doesn't distract him, -- it could be said he is a bit of a 'luxury' player maybe, .. and I could see why that could be levelled from some quarters, -- but bucketfulls of skill and flair with him, and it'll be great of he gets the chance to use it, and for us to see it.
If I was Capello, I'd go with the Rooney /Crouch combination.. and hope to put a marker down for the rest of the competition in the first game.
Not long to go now :) -- Unlike a few Jocks, - I wish the English all the best.. I cant see the Cup being won by them to be brutally honest, but good luck anyway... hopefully this first outing will be an entertaining spectacle, with all the nerves being 'got out the way' in the opening minutes.

All the best ! 8) :D

Not keen at all on that team.

Its be proven beyond a doubt that Gerrard/Lampard simply do not work in the midfield as a pair, bad choice.

Heskey up front is tragic, he'll spend more time on his considerable buttocks than actually doing anything productive.

Milner on the left - not his best position and will create very little, should have started with the much more talented and in-form Joe Cole.

The only thing I'm relieved about is that he is starting Lennon, he is streets ahead of Wright-Phillips and far more effective, but in the past few friendlies, england have been absolutely hopeless in getting the ball. With Lampard and Gerrard fannying about in the midfield, I can see this being a real turgid effort.

However, saying all that, I sincerely hope that I'm completely wrong, and that we totally and utterly murder the yanks, their arrogance and ignorance are very grating (the fans that it is).

Well, at least he's put a proper winger on the left-hand side, rather than putting Gerrard there, simply to accommodate him - which, surely, suggests that most England managers have rated Lampard more than Gerrard?! :D

That still leaves us without a defensive/holding midfield player and the USA have a few talented players in their attack (well, Donovan and Dempsey are two I can recall).

I don't think playing Rooney on his own (or, even, with Gerrard in support) would help our situation. That's where we need an Alan Shearer-type target man. Rooney's been played upfront alone for both club and country yet, we barely seem to create anything; he's always tracking back and having to try and do it all on his own.

Erm, I think the game must be on by now - I'd better be off... :oops:

OPJ":j83sk8yu said:
Well, at least he's put a proper winger on the left-hand side, rather than putting Gerrard there, simply to accommodate him - which, surely, suggests that most England managers have rated Lampard more than Gerrard?! :D

That still leaves us without a defensive/holding midfield player and the USA have a few talented players in their attack (well, Donovan and Dempsey are two I can recall).

I don't think playing Rooney on his own (or, even, with Gerrard in support) would help our situation. That's where we need an Alan Shearer-type target man. Rooney's been played upfront alone for both club and country yet, we barely seem to create anything; he's always tracking back and having to try and do it all on his own.

Erm, I think the game must be on by now - I'd better be off... :oops:

Rooney's best form has come with playing up front on his own supported by a decent midfield, its just when they have tried it with england we have had the same old pensioners in midfield.

I also woudn't describe Milner as a proper winger - certainly not on the left anyway, his best position by his own admission is on the right side or middle.

I'm being overly critical, but its so frustrating to see Capello go against his own statements "I will only take fit players, I will only pick players on form" - both of which are complete boulderdash as he reverts back to the same old choices that have never worked in the past.

It's KICK OFF though now.. come on Lennon!!!

ByronBlack":q04iqedh said:
I also woudn't describe Milner as a proper winger - certainly not on the left anyway, his best position by his own admission is on the right side or middle.

I'm being overly critical, but its so frustrating to see Capello go against his own statements "I will only take fit players, I will only pick players on form" - both of which are complete boulderdash as he reverts back to the same old choices that have never worked in the past.

That's a fair comment on Milner. I just meant that he's far better suited to that role than Gerrard :p - and Wright-Phillips, based on tonight's performance! :D

Of all, the managers we've had since Glenn Hoddle was sacked, Capello is the only one I've had any faith in - and I'm quite the xenophobe when it comes to managing a national side!! :p You're right; our first eleven isn't that different to the team we were fielding eight or nine years ago - yet, look at how just about every other nation has changed considerably. That's where my sceptical side kicks in, with a suspicion that the FA (no to mention the media) have more of a say in team selection for its highest "commercial value" or whatever.... :?

Tonight's game showed a lot of promise and, of the three games I've seen of this World Cup so far, it was the most entertaining, to me. Heskey didn't do too badly and the Gerrard/Lampard combination seemed to work quite well... Yet, we only managed the one goal? I don't think we can heap too much praise on Tim Howard. As much as that was an improvement over past performances, we're still clearly lacking 'something'.

Fair credit to Heskey, though. He didn't do badly at all. Despite what I said about him earlier on, I was a huge fan when he was at Leicester. Then, he moved to Anfield and it all seemed to start going wrong - he lost his centre of gravity and everything! :) I thought things may have picked up again at Birmingham or Wigan but, not really. He's a confidence player; in the sense that, when he doesn't believe in himself, he doesn't perform at all (where as, other players in the same situation can still make some contribution to a team effort). I never rated Gerard Houllier (Benitez Mk.I) as a manager so, I can't imagine he helped Heskey' self esteem. I was pleased to see him reunited with O'Neill at Villa though, I still fear it could be too late for his career (regardless of tonight's performance).

We all know, deep down, that he can do the job and we always have... That's the reason he's been back in contention (coupled with the memories of that 5-1 victory in Germany, years ago! :wink:)

I think it's safe to say we'll make it past the group stages. :)

I used see Alan Smith as another contender for the no.9 jersey but, what the heck happened to him?! He seemed to drop of the face of the Earth... ?

No, wait! He joined Newcastle, didn't he!! :D That clubs a curse for just about every player. It's like crash landing on the LOST island! James Milner is only one of only a small handful of players (Shay Given being the other) to have joined and left them without harming his career. Obafemi Martins, Geremi, Mark Viduka, Michael Owen, Stephen Carr, Celestine Babayaro... (A few of the more recent names I can remember) They were all pretty good - until they joined Newcastle! Where are they now??? :D

Back