Worktop jig problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpolish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Is the back edge of the 2 pieces flush? and also did you turn the jig upside down for the male cut?

Danny

Did you use the pins for the male cut too?
I always cut the female side first, then lay the male end on top or underheath depending on which way I will cut the worktop.
Then mark where the join needs to be and place my jig 9mm further back.
I've never had any problems doing it his way.
Also it sorts out any problems with the walls not being square.

Are both pieces 700 wide?? Or did your jig move while cutting - a common problem.

No only the male it shouldnt matter about the female.

I cut the female first then measured back 228 mm as in instructions. I also posted on screwfix somebody on there mentioned that you should use the same end of the jig for both cuts I am not sure i did would that make this happen if I flipped jig over?
Cheers Phil.

When cutting the male joint on a left-hand corner, the top must be face down and the router must take material from all along the cut. Your pictures look as though the male cut has only clipped the corner, suggesting that the jig was incorrectly placed during the male cut.

When cutting the female part, pins are used for the appropriate depth of worktop (e.g. 700mm), whereas when cutting the male joint, the "Male" pin holes are used, irrespective of worktop depth. Have a look at a page I did here if not clear. The jig should be flipped for the male joint, BTW. HTH. :)

Ray.

What make jig is it ?

Is it a cheap rubbish one that might explain it ?

The Trend ones are adjustable to variable width they don't use set pegs for width setting ie 600 , 700 etc

It looks like the worktop is narrower than you think maybe or the jig setting is wrong.

Also check you have the right cutter and bush. Usually 12.7 mm cutter and 30mm bush.

Mcluma":1abz5kxv said:
Argee":1abz5kxv said:
Have a look at a page I did here if not clear. Ray.

That is a very nice tutorial you made, helpful and very instructive

Thanks for that Argee
I agree thanks Argee - have saved this one just in case

Cheers :D
Tony

chippy1970":2s32ese9 said:
What make jig is it ?

Is it a cheap rubbish one that might explain it ?

The Trend ones are adjustable to variable width they don't use set pegs for width setting ie 600 , 700 etc

It looks like the worktop is narrower than you think maybe or the jig setting is wrong.

Also check you have the right cutter and bush. Usually 12.7 mm cutter and 30mm bush.

Yes it is a cheap one it is 3 mm out on the 700 female pegs so I have had to pack them out 3mm. Also the wall is 12mm out of square I have done the joint it is not perfect but acceptable.
If I had to do them all the time I would invest in a trend one.
Thanks everbody for your help.
Phil.

Back