Help re. Router bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedman

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a template that I have cut from 12mm ply. I need to use this to cut out some 40mm oak worktop, but need to know which type and make of router bit will give the best finish. All help or advice readily received. Many thanks in advance.

i had to do the same thing on a toilet plinth - last year 45mm thick material
I had a lot of help on other DIY forums for a top bearing bit - mainly from one very experienced member , jobandknock also a member on this forum
and spoke to wealdon who were excellent and it did the job perfect

i have a dewalt 625 1/2" router

I also made a template - of 6mm ply and used a glue gun to tack to the material and then router using that

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Trimmers_7.html
this is the bit i purchased
https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Down_Shear_Trim_23.html

What are you trying to do with the worktop, join it to another or insert a sink or something, I assume you know what a Masons Mitre is.

I recently had to cut and fit around 11m of oak worktop in my kitchen and utility . This included 3 corners (butt jointed with 3off dog bones and biscuits for alignment), a gas hob and 2 sinks, I went through 3off trend c153 1/2" cutters for all of this, the disposable ones that cost under a tenner each.
I used a fresh cutter per worktop butt joint to ensure the cut edge was perfect. Then used the worn cutter for the respective cut out (hob, sink etc). I used the most worn cutters for subsequent dog bone joints.

It worked for me. If I was doing it for a living I am sure there are professional grade cutters that last longer etc, but I hopefully won't be fitting a kitchen for a while now!

What you want will very much depend upon your template and what you are trying to cut
I you want to cut say a sink opening I would suggest rough cutting it out first with a jigsaw or use a guide bush and a straight bit. with your template Then use a top guided router cutter to trim up to the template. If you made your template allowing for the offset of a cutter with the guide bush you can do it without the second stage

What are you trying to do with the worktop, join it to another or insert a sink or something, I assume you know what a Masons Mitre is.
The piece I’m using happens to be worktop, but it’s to make a base for a high end vinyl turntable. Its about the same size as a small sink cut out,

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve spoken to Wealden who look to have the ideal cutter for this. Might make a bit of a hole in any non existent profit, but I’m sure I can use it in the future!!

I would suggest a 1/4 inch spiral bit with a bottom bearing, They are solid carbide and smoother on laminate worktops. The template would be mounted under the workpiece of course.

Back