Workshop Tour and Layout Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JungleJim

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,
I thought i would post a few pics of my workshop as it is. I've had it like this for a while now and before I put a proper dust management solution in I wanted to see what you guys think.

So what I have so far is a 6m x 4m space. I have a bandsaw, P/T, Table Saw (not used yet, recent ebay purchase). I'd ideally like the table saw centre of the workshop incorporated into workbench that you can see, with an extension to the right of the TS with the router table incorporated into it so they can share a fence.

This is standing at the door, to the right of the door is my band saw, directly above that is where my Jet air filter usually is (I'ts been loaned to a friend)

Loads of storage with the kitchen units all my tools will be on the wall using french cleats

Timber storage is something I need to address. on the list of projects is some sort of cart, Ideally I would get the timber out of the workshop and stored somewhere else, I do have a bit of space around the back of the workshop where I could possibly do something.
I'd like to put my miter saw where the router table is and use the worktop to the left as the support with maybe a fold up one to the right.

Here is the new (to me) table saw, it didn't have a riving knife or blade guard when I bought it, but have just had them delivered from Altsaws.

My band saw and PT it's great having these pushed to the sides as It gives me so much more space but I will need to roll the PT out whenever I use it.

All my power tools are under the bench

So the freezer is here to stay. It doesn't matter where it goes in the workshop, but it has never moved from this spot, under the dust sheet is an industrial sewing machine that we got for free as someone was giving it away. My wife is the seamstress in the house and I can't complain as she is reupholstering my car seats as a project over the winter. :)

So my dust extraction consists of a Festool CTL midi that I got with my TS55 last year and I love it, works well with all the smaller tools, The Jet air filter is great but I need something that can handle the table saw, band saw, P/T and miter saw. I was looking at these earlier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JR3NQAC/ fit it to an old 25litre wine making drum that I found and using good old henry as the vacuum, I just wasn't sure if this would be powerful enough, I need to do a bit more research.

I also use this dust mask http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Workwea ... ers/p80177

So there we have it, my workshop so far, I would be really interested to hear any opinions on tool placement and anything that you would do differently.

Cheers
James

Looks like an awesome space - thanks for the tour!

A Henry vac and a 55mm port dust commander just isn't enough to handle the tablesaw / planer thicknesser I'm afraid. You'll need a decent sized HVLP 100mm+ chip extractor (2hp minimum) to handle all of those machines you mention

Excellent. My thoughts (based on my own mistakes) : the open bins to the right of your workbench will be a dust magnet; you need more and better lighting as the set up now will cast a shadow when you are standing over your workbench; anti fatigue matting is a useful thing; would be worth improving the timber storage; put more sockets in.

Thanks guys
AJB, More sockets!!! I've got 11 doubles in there. I really do neet to sort out the timber it takes up a huge amount of room.

Matt, you're right I do need a more powerful dust collector, I need to weigh up all the options.

Cheers

I had a double garage sized workshop where I used to live that had twenty five double sockets, and two thirds of them were either used or unreachable for one reason or another at any given time. I did have a TV, hifi and beer fridge, mind. :D

Back