Workshop question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard

You can definitly replace the A-Frames with a different type that will increase head room. The cross-beam is fitted further up the two angled beams - there is a name for this, but it's escaped me at the moment.

Personally, If I were you, I would seriously consider making/buying a small shed to store the tools, and re-building you could have an amazing workshop on that plot and do things right from the get-go.

From the pictures its just maintenance work getting it watertight and diverting any water coming down the hill away the floor cracks are very fine it all will need drying out no major reconstruction.
The A frames were designed to minimise the use of wood and stop the walls spreading under the weight of the roof but new extra frames designed for head clearance placed in between the bents tied into the walls and mods to original A frames all designed by a engineer to minimise timber costs is the way forward.
You should have a shop for reasonable money that can then be insulated etc to your requirements.

OLD":2ittobx1 said:
From the pictures its just maintenance work getting it watertight and diverting any water coming down the hill away the floor cracks are very fine it all will need drying out no major reconstruction.

That's good to hear (and I think I agree!)

The A frames were designed to minimise the use of wood and stop the walls spreading under the weight of the roof but new extra frames designed for head clearance placed in between the bents tied into the walls and mods to original A frames all designed by a engineer to minimise timber costs is the way forward.

Not sure exactly what you mean - what is a "bent" in this context? And what sort of engineer should I be looking for?

You should have a shop for reasonable money that can then be insulated etc to your requirements.

Great! Thanks for all the suggestions

From the roof line i think you have three A frames the space between i call a bent and is where extra frames could be required.A structural engineer or maybe the person that draws up construction plans for approval could design and do calculations for you or you could copy another buildings details if you can find one.

Hello there.

You mentioned about your tools and machinery going rusty, there is a product that you can buy from axminster.co.uk it is called Liberon Lubricating Wax, clean all the rust off your tools put some of the Lubricating Wax on a rag and apply a thin layer to the tool and leave to dry, I've used it for a few years know on my wood lathe cast iron bed and it has been rust free ever since.

Latest posts

Back