Workshop lining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvestbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
I am considering lining with white melamine faced 18mm MDF can anyone see a problem using this material? There will be insulation behind sufficient to give a 0.2 wall U factor and similar on the roof. Heating will be via a variable aircon heat pump so should keep the cost down and provide cooling in the summer.

Sounds like a great workshop. Used to have plain chipboard on my old workshop walls and that was fine if a bit dusty. Melamine faced chip sounds perfect. Light, cleanable and unlikely to hold dust also at 18mm plenty of thickness to attach heavy items to.

Only possible issue I can think of would be the occasional situation where you'd get glare from the semi-gloss surface in some lighting situations.

In terms of cost, wouldn't melamine-faced chipboard be a lot cheaper?

I used 18mm OSB3. Cheap, strong, takes a screw well and can be painted. Also pretty good at sound insulation.

3 things to think about maybe.

If it gets a bash it might well chip.
It might be prone to condensation if your workshop isn't ventilated and heated evenly.
melamine can be prone to static electricity discharge so might get a little shock or two.

Back