Workshop in garden shed and noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, new member here, so don't know if this type of question has been raised or not, I am starting to work from home after leaving my job, and want to use my garden shed (workshop) to make wedding ring and jewelry, using a lathe and drills and other machinery. I am worried about the noise and neighbors complaining. Is there any law about this, or can I just carry on, I won't be out there all day, prob only working with machines about 2/3 hours starting around 11am. Thanks on advance for any help or advice.
Grant
My neighbour is in his garage about 20ft away and driving me crazy with his saws, lathes, planes or whatever. It is the constant droning, whirring, squealing of his various bits of equipment, not necessarily the loudness. I haven't said anything as I want to be a nice neighbour but he recently said he's planning to do more! I will then have to say something as I am at my limit. I work from home so hear this every day. Your neighbours, and those of others who have responded, may well be putting up with the annoyance like me.

my neighbour regularly wakes me up with super loud door slamming, almost 7 days a week, it's right next to my window and it drives me crazy, there is nothing I can do about it except possibly soundproof the room which would cost a fortune to do it the proper way, I was thinking of making soundproof window shutters and also improving isolation of the walls. I don't think you making noise with power tools would be anywhere near as loud or annoying, just keep it sensible and only do it during working hours and you can't go wrong really, I sometimes do late night woodworking but it's not loud at all as it's hand tools only and nobody has ever complained or said anything.

Noise and ‘use of premises’ are two separate areas of legislation in Council terms. Environmental Health departments deal with noise and it falls to the Planning Department to deal with material changes of use of premises/land. Whether a change of use is ‘material’ is a matter of fact and degree, and will include consideration of noise level emitted. I have not kept up to date on relevant town planning legislation since I retired (was Snr. Planning Officer), but I doubt whether the fundamentals have changed much.

Back