Workshop flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hjc

Reaction score
We're getting some building work done that will involve (for various reasons) installing a raised floor in the space where I have my Myford ML8 setup.

Right now the floor is concrete. I'm concerned that vibration will be an issue on a raised floor, and am considering getting a section of poured concrete where the lathe will go. The downsides are I wouldn't be able to move it and might be a stuck if I get the sizing wrong and want to upgrade to something different in the future. Plus I'll have to pay for it.

Does anyone of any better/cheaper suggestions? Or am I worrying unduly and the raised floor will be fine?

It will depend on how the raised floor is constructed. You can make a raised floor that is stable for machinery but it’s not usual in a domestic setting.

There’s been a lot of issues with raised block and beam floors being used in new houses where the washing machine has ended up at resonance point and the whole house shakes when it’s on. The builders had to dig the floor up and place an additional support under the utility area. So you could install additional supports to reduce the span where you’re lathe is going?

I think you are worrying unduly, this photo is getting well used, twice in two days on here ha ha
The white section and the motor box are just sat on the supports, I.e. not fastened down at all Ian
E0A5C79B-083D-4DF1-9367-D1A1C50253CF.jpeg

Thanks, a reduce span sounds like a sensible option. I did suggest it to the architect earlier, but he didn't seem keen for some reason. Guess I'll pressure him on that one.

My current lathe bench isn't much more secure than Cabinetman's (basically just a bunch of scrap timber I had hanging around, badly screwed together and weighted down with stones). Works ok, but any vibration is transferred to something solid (the concrete floor). Looks like all the struts on Cabinetman's setup are pushing against an external wall?

Yes it’s a brick building with an internal frame of two by fours with insulation. the supports for the lathe are screwed into the two by fours. I agree it looks rickety but it works. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed any vibration.

I think it depends whether you do any out of balance large bowls and things like that? For spindle turning, or bowls made from round-ish blanks to start with, I am not sure you would have issues. Many people use sandbags or similar to weigh down the lathe bench, this absorbs the vibration almost at source, and prevents it being disappated into the floor/rest of the building. So you could confirm with the builder what maximum weight they have planned for and perhaps adjust the design accordingly? I did hear about a library at a university which is slowly sinking into the ground, as they didn't correctly predict how heavy all the books would be ...

I’ve got 2” kingspan foam insulation topped with 3/4” T&G ply on top of my concrete floor. Warm amd comfortable + feels very “workshopy” . Lathe just stood onto but is quite heavy in itself (vicmarc vl300 shortbed).

I have 50mm kingspan with 22mm P5 chipboard floating floor. I have a Jet 3520 lathe on it. The lathe weighs 350kg with the stand and wood stored on the integral shelf. No movement or vibration at all when in use.

In my last workshop which had a suspended wood floor on joists I had to pour a 1.5 tonne pad for it to stand on as it would vibrate if anything was put on it out of balance.

Back