Workshop Design - well it's a build really.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dibs-h":215rqb0r said:
Well, popped down to Rotherham and collected a drywall lift. Lifts a panel 16 feet which should do even the highest boards. Got it into car ok, bloody difficult at the home end. Ended up taking all the bits out of the box in the drive. It's all sat in the house until I get it into the shed tomorrow. Had to dash off after dropping it off, only day I could make it to Harrogate. Few hundred quid lighter. :oops:

Hopefully get a good day in the shed tomorrow.

Dibs

good choice

Didn't even go into the shed on Sunday. Just had one of those - "easy" days.

Went down to the shed yesterday evening - took 3 trips to get all the bits down there for the lift, and about 10 mins assembling it.

Fitted the remaining strap on the back wall -

strap_3.jpg

stapled the VB back and measured up for the board, Put it on the cradle, and raised the cradle.

much_easier_2.jpg

Bit of shoving and pushing the lift to get the board where I wanted it. Another little turn of the wheel and tight up against the rafters. I also noticed that the sprung hooks had dis-engaged at the end. Might pay more attention to that as it would get a little interesting if I wanted to get it down for some reason.

Lift_1.jpg

5 mins later and all screwed and lift down. Certainly is one of the better lots of £120 I've spent and damn sight less stressful on the back and less cursing in general.

done.jpg

Hopefully back in tonight for the front 2 rows of boards. Would be nice to get at least one row done. :oops:

Dibs

Dibs-h":d9p8hiau said:
5 mins later and all screwed and lift down. Certainly is one of the better lots of £120 I've spent and damn sight less stressful on the back and less cursing in general.
Dibs

Everything's easy with the right tool.:)

Kirk

Hi Dibs,
It might be expensive, but McLuma's suggestion was obviously a good one, if yet more expense; it's only money :shock: but your back is more important.
It costs me a lot of money going to the chiropractor every three months. I tried aping Superman whilst riding a motorcycle - not recommended.

The build is looking good now, and not so far to go to the end of the first half of the project. I take it that you will have some recouperation before starting the next section?

Regards...Dick.

Cegidfa":1qj81qth said:
Hi Dibs,
It might be expensive, but McLuma's suggestion was obviously a good one, if yet more expense; it's only money :shock: but your back is more important.
It costs me a lot of money going to the chiropractor every three months. I tried aping Superman whilst riding a motorcycle - not recommended.

The build is looking good now, and not so far to go to the end of the first half of the project. I take it that you will have some recouperation before starting the next section?

Regards...Dick.

£120 - it's quite cheap in the grand scheme of things and when I finish with it and sell it - I'm likely to get most of my money back I suspect (say at least half). TBH the thing thad made me discount it originally was not knowing they dismantle and 2nd'ly they are that cheap on the Bay.

I used to go to a chiropractor ages back - it's not cheap.

Recuperation - now there's a word I'd like to get familiar with. Can't see it happening tho. That's usually the several hours in bed on a Sunday. :lol:

Dibs

Last post on Nov 26 - Lord that's a long bout of CantBeArsedItis! :oops:

There has been progress - almost all the ply has been fitted. Just been wondering whether I should ply the end gable wall studding as well. But then I would have to go and get another 5-6 sheets for when half the current garage gets demolished and I need to close the end off. Probably see how I feel tomorrow!

This morning 32 sheets of 12.5mm Fireline plasterboard turned up in the front garden courtesy of a Hi-ab. Each weighing 32Kg and all of them needing taking down the drive, over the "obstacle" course (which is the garden) and into the workshop. Paid help (was going to pay after the job) and favours both didn't materialise :roll: - so after a few errands, i.e. couldn't escape them any longer, I took them down.

Took almost 2 hours - with zero damaged boards. My arms must be at least 12" longer - it's probably the only time I've been grateful that the nerves in the left hand aren't quite 100% - otherwise I'd have paggered out half way or something.

Will hopefully post up some piccies over the weekend of the progress. Got to collect Wifey & kids tomorrow. Oh and move the newly acquired Spindle Moulder (Cheers Paul!!!) out of the hallway and hide it somewhere until it can go down to the 'shop.

I wonder if I strip it down a bit and throw a sheet over it - would it past muster as a tall side table or something? Maybe put a lamp on it.... :wink: Or just hide it behind the sofa with the rest of my stuff. :lol:

Dibs

Its a miracle that she hasn't complaint yet about the money you have sunk into that workshop, so do worry about that spindle moulder :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy New Year, be safe, healthy and happy..

Mcluma":28sxw3rh said:
Its a miracle that she hasn't complaint yet about the money you have sunk into that workshop, so do worry about that spindle moulder :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy New Year, be safe, healthy and happy..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dibs

p.s. found a temporary home for the spindle moulder! :lol:

Update: I have been busy - honest.

Finished fitting the last lot of ply sheets to the roof, but thankfully just realising I hadn't fitted the last wall strap - been a bit interesting trying to fit it afterwards!

last_strap.jpg

Then fitted the vapour barrier across the front and cut out for the windows and doors -

vapour_barrier_front.jpg

Started fitting out the ply on the front,

front_ply_1.jpg

Slight noggin adjustment - as the stud walls weren't perfectly inline, I'd previously run a string line across and cut strips of 2" wide timber to bring things level - obviously forgotten to do the same for a few noggins - but quick cut and some timber. The one in the picture is probably one of the worst out of line ones.

noggin_adjuistment.jpg

Carrying on with the ply on the front,

more_front_ply.jpg

I'd left the last piece of the roof ply off - so fitted that,

last_roof_ply.jpg

then carrying on with the front,

front_ply_2.jpg

Then 1 morning the plasterboard turned up - and as said before neither favours nor money were going to get me out of shifting this,

fireline_plasterboard.jpg

No work in progress pictures unfortunately on this one! Here it is nicely stacked - might not be perfect on end, but it's out of the way, sort of.

Fireline_Stacked.jpg

Then vapour barrier'd the gable wall - could have done with an extra few hands, but such is life!

gable_vb.jpg

Now this is where stuff slowed right down. The intention was to fit 1" Kingspan on the roof - it was agreed with Building Regs. Now I had a large pile of 4" thick board, so after a mess about with some guitar strings and power supplies of varying ampages, and some lengths of bandsaw blade - I called it a day and accepted I'd have to spend some cash. :-$

1" boards aren't cheap (but then neither are ones of other thicknesses) - I spotted a local'ish chap on the Bay advertising them at £10 each. Now they sell for around £14-£16, so £10 was a bargain. Me being me - I asked him how many he had and would he do a discount for qty?

So £300 later - I had 36 boards! (plus 20 delivery). So not only is it going on the roof, yes you've guessed it - everywhere but the floor!

roof_kingspan_1.jpg

roof_kingspan_2.jpg

roof_kingspan_4.jpg

Back Wall,

back_wall_kingspan_1.jpg

Gable Wall

gable_kingspan_2.jpg

I haven't done the front yet - but will be doing that at the end.

Started the plasterboard on the back wall,

plasterboard_1.jpg

Back wall completed. There is a gap of 4-5" at the bottom and then fitting the skirting at a later point in time. In moving those boards - I couldn't believe I had moved them from the front , down the drive, down the garden steps and into the workshop, without killing myself or ruining a number of boards! :mrgreen:

plasterboard_back_wall.jpg

Then started on the roof.

plasterboard_roof_1.jpg

Now it's difficult to fit them long ways as the distance between the trusses or wall & truss is < 7' and the boards need to "tuck in" slightly over the truss, so went with the "cut 'em in half" approach. Yes the "joint" in the wall does carry thru into the roof, but as everything has a skin of ply, I can't see it being an issue.

I didn't bother taping the Kingspan joints with Aluminium tape as I felt that vapour barrier, 1/2" ply and the Kingspan (friction fit) didn't leave any opportunity for much!

That's all for now - but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Did a slight sweep up of the floor at the before starting the boarding - 3 bin liners! :oops:

Might see what the costs are for plastering - or you know what!

Dibs

Blimey Dibs, your workshop is better than my house! You're going to be so warm and cosy in there you'll never want to come out. Another couple of big pushes like that and you'll be moving in. I was just wondering what you are planning on doing about the electrics as I didn't see you fitting any duct work or anything. Presumably you're going to surface mount? I think I'd probably get the place professionally plastered even though labour will probably account for 90% of the bill - I think it'll really finish the place.

wobblycogs":9np15r4j said:
Blimey Dibs, your workshop is better than my house! You're going to be so warm and cosy in there you'll never want to come out. Another couple of big pushes like that and you'll be moving in. I was just wondering what you are planning on doing about the electrics as I didn't see you fitting any duct work or anything. Presumably you're going to surface mount? I think I'd probably get the place professionally plastered even though labour will probably account for 90% of the bill - I think it'll really finish the place.

Going to surface mount the electrics - gives me flexibility (aka change my mind up to the last minute :lol:)

Plastering - what are you saying, that mine's going to be rubbish?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I know what you mean - I'll get some quotes and try to suppress my normal urge of bursting out with "How pineappling much?"

Dibs

p.s. It probably better than the house - I just hope wifey and kids don't swap and move in, leaving me the house! :lol:

Dibs-h":2hj9kk97 said:
Going to surface mount the electrics - gives me flexibility (aka change my mind up to the last minute :lol:)
Dibs

Surface mounting is great. Just make sure to mark where the studs are in the wall so you can find them when attaching everything. Done right (1), it can be pretty fast, too.
electric1.jpg

Kirk
(1)"Done right" for me was using an electrician, because my wife said "I don't want you burning the house down."

:) sorry, I'm sure your plastering is great. I was merely thinking of my own attempts which are not too bad for an amateur (IMVHO) but not a patch on what a pro can achieve. It's one of the few jobs I think it's worth saving up and paying for.

It really is looking fantastic Dib's, have you any thoughts about layout now? I think with all that insulation, you won't need a woodburner. But they are great for a tidy workshop, not so good if your looking for a scrap of timber though.

mtr1":gxrnfch4 said:
It really is looking fantastic Dib's, have you any thoughts about layout now? I think with all that insulation, you won't need a woodburner. But they are great for a tidy workshop, not so good if your looking for a scrap of timber though.

Cheers Mark. I don't as of yet to be honest. That's probably something to be decided by the collective wisdom of folk here! :lol:

The only thing that springs to mind is to have put the RAS on the back wall, perhaps in the middle'ish. - the back wall is approx 7.3M long, so should easily be able deal with most timbers if the RAS is in the middle. I also have a largish old school woodworking bench which needs to go in the shop. Also a 8x4 assembly table which I'd knocked up when making the door\windows, but that's on castors, so can easily be pushed to one side.

The main kit is Lorem P\T, Kity 419 and an EB 315 B\S - these I'm thinking of putting on castors so they can be moved around as need be. Almost forgot the new Fox Spindle Moulder (but I'm thinking there is no reason why that can't go against a wall).

The one thing I do want is a small desk, etc in a corner for a pc\laptop and general tinkering.

I am thinking of bringing water into the workshop, to a small corner basin (perhaps with one of those tiny electric water heaters) - that way I'm not traipsing to the house for water.

Biggest headache for some of this year is that as soon as the shop is plastered, the garage needs emptying out into it as does my stuff round the house! Then crack on with the adjoining new garage and its basement (which will have an interconnecting doorway into the shop). All being well, the middle bay should stay empty so at least I'll have somewhere to make sawdust.

Speaking of sawdust - I put an ad in Gumtree for a domestic wheelie bin full of sawdust - that's about how much I'd generated. No responses for ages and then like a London bus, all at once. Had a chap come from Rochdale - £20. Considering I was going to burn it - no complaints! :mrgreen:

Dibs

Hi Dibs,
Blimey guv'nor, you've put me to shame. Your bout of CBA wasn't really CBA, more like recuperation, after flogging yourself to death - on your own.
Especially as you have to work as well.........respect, as they say these days.

Best wishes from a fellow Shedi Knight.

Dick.

Some more progress - none last night. Had to drive over to Manchester to collect a laptop that I'd bought, but here's the progress from a couple of hours on Tuesday evening.

Plasterboard_2.jpg

Half the back roof (lower row) has now been boarded. The plan is to get a row done tonight and another tomorrow, leaving a bit of a push on Sat to get the front, gable and lower row on the front roof done. Knowing my luck probably Sunday by the time I'm finished. I am so looking forward to it all being boarded - it'll look a lot less constructional and more like "almost finished".

Probably get some quotes on the plastering as well - just to see if the cost is palatable\justifiable. I'll have to go find my trowels\hawk as a backup plan - paddle mixer's already been located, so one less thing to scratch my head and ar5e and wonder where the heck it went.

Hopefully some more tonight.

Dibs

Friday - managed to get a couple of hours in the 'shop. Spent a fair bit of time moving stuff anout and clearing the floor - it was starting to resemble a tip. That didn't leave a great deal of time for boarding, but managed to get some on -

friday.jpg

Sat - spent all day faffing about with this laptop. Turned out to be issues with the VirginMedia connection I was using (a mates), but the downside was having to install a LAMP VM so I had local access to some Dev servers, when round at my mates. Enough of the boring stuff..

Sunday - got a got day in. Got the upper 2 rows of the roof boarded (back which I'd started on Friday and all of the front upper row).

almost_there-1.jpg

Then a bot more moving stuff round and using all the offcuts of Kingspan to clad the front -

jigsaw.jpg

It looks an absolute jigsaw - but virtually nothing wasted! One or 2 little pieces left - but it was getting late & I was somewhat shattered!

So now just the plasterboards on the front and then the last row (lower) on the front roof and of course the far gable end. Bit of luck might be somewhat there over the course of this week. Oh yeah - then the plastering!

Dibs

Latest posts

Back