Workshop Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orcamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
For those who like workshop builds, this is for you! It has been up and running for some time now but I have only recently created my website which now showcases it. Feel free to have a look at what happened via my website (there are too many photos to upload into here).

Basically we moved to our 2nd house in 2005 and my first workshop (a modern single garage) in the first house was emptied into this "old garage" at the new house. The single garage at the new house was however slightly smaller than the one at the first house and it was also very damp, so many tools got rusty in there. The idea was to demolish the old single garage and build a new double length garage/workshop with a store room on the first floor.

I havent put any photos in yet of the workshop as it stands today with the equipment/tools in, but will do so as soon as spare time permits.

Thanks for looking
cheers
Steve

http://www.orcamesh.com/Orcamesh/My_Woodwork_Albums/Pages/Workshop_Build.html#0

Wow!

How come some of the windows frames are white and some black?

Did you gain much space or was it mainly a condensing and drying effort?

Thanks for your feedback, it was a big job that's for sure, and this is why it has taken me so long to get back into woodwork.

Chems : The windows & standard doors all came from one company whilst the folding sliding doors came from another. we decided that it would be too much to have white FSDs as well as all the other upvc standard ones. So the idea was to create a break as you look at the back of the house because there are white upvc windows and doors either side of the FSDs, either on house or garage. It was our personal opinion that the dark grey/smoked black FSDs were looked better than the whites FSDs they were offering.

At some point I will add photos of the insides of the workshop so you can see how full it is now!

cheers
Steve

Sorry Chems, I forgot to answer your second question!

Having read your second question a few times I am not quite sure what you are asking, but if I understand correctly you are firstly asking if we have gained space from the original garage/house? The answer to this is yes, at least for the additional room on the house, previously there was a wooden lean-to which had a leaky roof so it was unuseable. The original garage was only single with no upper floor whereas the new one is double length, and has a double length upper floor. The ground floor is split into one quarter of the total length being a back room which is separate from the remaining three quarters, this room is for hand tools, workbench, etc. A half of the total length is the machine shop and the remaining quarter at the front of the garage is for my motorbike and other stuff. So the middle section (a single garage length) is the machine shop where I have a TS4020 table saw, basato 5-2 bandsaw, woodrat, multico morticer, pillar drill, small lathe and a HMT260 P/T. It is a squeeze still but it all just moves around and works (thus far!). Even the table saw can be rotated 90 degrees within seconds to go from crosscut to rip and vice versa. When I get the other photos up on the site it will become more evident.

As for the second part of your second question I am not sure what you mean, please elaborate, I am not a builder so might not be able to answer any technical questions about the build as such!

Thanks
Steve

Chems":1s2ao23y said:
Wow!

How come some of the windows frames are white and some black?

Did you gain much space or was it mainly a condensing and drying effort?

Blimey! No half measures for you Steve! It is a smashing looking workshop and I am sure the upper storage area will be very handy. I am most envious!

Thanks chaps! :D

It certainly is a great place to work now, much more motivating than a dark damp place. Still if you are going to knockdown a single garage to turn it into a double you might as well do it properly I say!

Thanks for the tour. You can never share too many photos of anything, in this game. :)

Was that originally a double garage when you moved in?! Looks like you've stolen one half of the house, slapped a garage door on the front and removed the staircase - it's HUGE!! :D :wink:

On a more serious note; do you think you'll replace the up and over door, in time?

No, when we moved to the new house it had a single garage, if you look at the "Workshop Build" photo album you will see the old damp and dark single garage. It really wasn't fit for even putting a car in! Even the wooden side door had rotted away at the bottom and had been repaired. The pathway next to this door just collected water like a canal and the DPC was non-existent so the base of the walls of the garage were all damp inside and out. So whatever happened someone had to rebuild this garage at some point. The house was originally a 3 bed, later made a 4 bed by the previous owners so a single garage was not really adequate for a house of this size even if no woodwork was being done here. Most 4 beds I know have double garages so it is in keeping with most houses of this size. It's just a tad taller so you can stand in the centre of the upstairs store room.

As for the up & over door, yes, this is one of the many projects I have to do ahead of me now, especially with the workshop now up to full speed in terms of usability. It is not a priority but I agree that it is pants (this has a long story behind it concerning the builders) and if you look at the old single garage you can see how the doors should be, side hinged with 6 small window panels in each door, this will be what I will base my new doors on when the time comes. Priorities priorities... ho hum!

OPJ":r78t1ibi said:
Thanks for the tour. You can never share too many photos of anything, in this game. :)

Was that originally a double garage when you moved in?! Looks like you've stolen one half of the house, slapped a garage door on the front and removed the staircase - it's HUGE!! :D :wink:

On a more serious note; do you think you'll replace the up and over door, in time?

How come you get to build all that, and I get complaints from the neighbours when I want to put up a garden shed in a place that only we can see!
](*,)

Nice looking build and no doubt it will be a comfy, productive workshop!

John :)

Great workshop! I've been following this forum for ages, but have now registered because I just had to say how lucky you are to have finished your build. We are going through almost exactly the same thing at the moment, except we've had a few hiccups. I happened to be filming one day when this happened.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSazr4d1AYo

Go on, have a laugh at our expense!!

John - well it did go to appeal, hence, it took even longer for me to get back into woodwork. This delayed the build start for several months. The land is sloping down towards my neighbour and it doesnt affect them because it is in line with their house apart from a couple of feet at the rear so it does not take away their daylight from their rear facing windows. At the front my garage is set back from the front of their house. Next door is a bungalow too which helps as there are no side or upstairs windows to consider. Many houses in the street have built on the side of their houses with garage underneath and rooms on top, and these are even bigger than my garage! So I think this is why the appeal went in my favour.

It certainly is a very comfortable place to work now, as with all workshops or buildings in general, it could always be bigger!!! But I cant complain, nor would I dare!

Former glory - as you are new to the website you have been caught by the newcomer trap which prevents newcomers from posting links or spam until a few postings have been made. Post a few more times and it will then allow you to post links.

Here is the link for others to see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSazr4d1AYo

cheers
Steve

No probs! I did like your video though, I hope your neighbours are still speaking to you!

Would be good to see the final product once it's finished. Keep us up to date with a WIP...

Former Glory":oqa694g6 said:
Doh!!! Thanks Steve, just proves how long it's been since I joined a forum.

Latest posts

Back