Workshop Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norfolk75

Established Member
Reaction score
This may sound a silly question but worth a go.

I'm going to hopefully start my workshop build in the next week or two but can't afford to lay out all the materials in one hit. Anyway I've got 3/4 of studs etc and timber to build the base but things like OSB & Cladding will have to wait.

Is this a project that can be done is stages? So in other words can I build the timber base and maybe cover it with tarpaulin. All timbers including studs have been treated too.

Thanks.

I probably wouldn't myself but i suppose you can. I personally would wait for the better weather and longer daylight and try to get as much of the materials as i could stockpiled ready to go. If there is any groundwork to do, you could get that prepared.

Thank you.

Hopefully the weather will pick up in the next few weeks. @Roughcut Do you recommend the DPM as cover over tarpaulin?

I found the dpm sheet definitely tough enough to offer protection from rain and wind.
I used them at various stages of the build from initially covering the materials while outside, then as the build progressed covering the base and keeping it dry and at a later stage of the build as a roof covering over the rafters until the roof was finished.
Good value for money in my opinion.

If you think about what you are doing and make a neat job of the dpm protection you should be able to keep you work perfectly dry.

Bear in mind loose corners or anywher that wi d wil, get to could allkw the plastic to blow off.

If for example cover the roof with dpm but have a side missing, wind pressure could be a problem. Storm Doris being a timely reminder :D

You can get a roll of 1000g poly cheap enough and a bundle of roofing laths and nails used to fix it down around edges is the best way to go, so no wind can get under it. Having worked as a builder/joiner for many years on various outdoor projects, i always made sure i had a supply of the above items for inclement weather. Didn't have much choice when doing it for a living but if i were to be building a home workshop for myself, i would be inclined to wait for the warmer weather and longer days. It's definitely do-able at any time of the year though if you want to crack on.

I laid my slab in the middle of October last year, with the intention of stopping work there until the spring to avoid the same problem you are talking about, having a half built building exposed to the mercy of the winter.
Of course excitement got the better of me and I decided to push on and begin the timber framing straight away, thinking that I could do exactly as suggested and use DPM to protect things temporarily if the weather turned.
As luck would have it, we had an amazingly dry and mild Autumn/Winter and by new years I had a weatherproof structure, having only been rained off perhaps 1 weekend in all that time and I never resorted to any temporary covering of any sort.
If I had waited before building, I would still be sat looking at an empty slab whilst furiously checking the weather forecast to see when I could begin building, instead I can watch my sturdy workshop shrug off storm Doris with ease, then pop inside and have a play on the new table saw. :)

The moral of this ramble is that you might as well crack on ASAP, because you never know your luck, treated timber won't mind a spot of rain and you can always resort to temporary coverings if things get really bad. Good luck!

Cheers for the replies.

I've decided to crack on ASAP.

Just one more question if you don't mind. Unfortunately my Air gun completely gave up a while back so I'm going to have to screw it so can someone recommend me a good quality 3" screw please. I'm going to use 3 inch nails for the base frame.

I would recommend getting torx head screws if possible.
I happened to use the Wickes green phosphated decking screws just because I have a local branch and it was convenient.
I used stainless steel annular ring shank nails (purchased from ebay) for the t&g exterior cladding which although good were expensive.
In hindsight galvanised nails would likely be suitable enough.

Norfolk75":2raxjuw3 said:
Cheers for the replies.

I've decided to crack on ASAP.

Just one more question if you don't mind. Unfortunately my Air gun completely gave up a while back so I'm going to have to screw it so can someone recommend me a good quality 3" screw please. I'm going to use 3 inch nails for the base frame.

The sooner you crack on, the sooner you'll be in your new workshop turning wood to shavings :D Would you think of doing a "work in progress build" thread? Best of luck with it

@skipdiver Yes 3" is too small think I'll go to 3 1/2 or 4.

@Roughcut Thanks I was looking at the Torx heads as used them before and they go in so well.

@mayomick I'm a Dryliner by trade so you you'll probably only see the Work in progress build when Im jointing as I know what I'm doing but the timber side the real craftsmen on here would probably laugh so I'll leave that bit out:)

We won't laugh, promise. If you post pictures, you are more likely to get helpful pointers. I have just completed my third workshop build and there are still things i would do differently.

Looking forward to seeing the kitted out and tidy ready to use photos, looks a great space.

S

Back