workshop air filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 1 left now - I bought one after reading this thread this morning!
As other have said, I know I needed one but haven't had the time to fabricate one, nor the appetite for paying big money for one
Thanks Halo :)

/Ed

And then there were none (hammer) Lets see if they restock eh?

Yep, they've all gone now. But I'd like to thank you, Halo, for putting me on to this. You've saved me a packet, and saved my lungs as well.

Cheers mate.

K

Glad to be of service but I cannot take the credit because it was a forum member that spotted this several months ago and I took the leap back then. Cannot find the original link just now.

Thanks guys, some great designs.

I was thinking of using a car radiator fan, probably used. I have a source for both but it will depend on which my son comes up with.

Obviously being 12V DC it would need some type of voltage correction unit, but as these sometimes come in a housing/cowl it would be very handy.

I have searched Ebay for filters and find various types in sheet or preformed types or available.
The cost is minimal and if I can secure a fan, the wooden frame will be on the bench next week.
Prividing I don't spend up at Harrogate in the morning.

Having just bought one of the SIP filters from that auction site, and reading some of the comments regarding its similarity to the Microclene 780 I stumbled across the manufacturer's website, http://www.acrolltd.co.uk/?page_id=16, they make reference to the Coanda effect.

From their website:
The Coanda Effect
The range of Microclene ambient air filters that we provide take full advantage of the COANDA effect. This is essentially where all of the clean filtered air coming from the top of the Microclene unit will flow along the surface of the ceiling (or wall) and set up a doughnut shaped air pattern in the room, this will take over all the air in the room and this will cause all of the air to flow back through the filter while the clean air is being pumped back out into the room. This design is much more efficient than the more common race track principal who relies on random thermals or air currents at the work place level to move the air vertically.

The diagram on their site suggests the optimum mounting would be near the ceiling and centre of the space to be filtered to set up a good circulation pattern (notwithstanding the chaos and drafts in my garage that will serve to disrupt any airflow pattern!). I suspect I'll probably put mine near the ceiling between bandsaw and bench, i.e. where I spend most of my time and make most of my dust, has anybody experimented?

Back