workshop air filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a spare extractor fan which is pants for using on machines so I thought I'd use it as an air cleaner by making some kind of box holding a panel filter or something. Can anyone recommend a type and source of filter. Also is their anywhere to get those torit filters at a reasonable price and in the uk.
mark

Thanks Doug/Pete, that's the type of thing I'm going to do. I've just realised that the fan I was planning on using is over 1hp, I don't really want that thing running for hours on end. Those squirrel fans are only 200w I think. I might wait and see what turns up.

This is my air filter. It's not finished yet and not pretty but has only cost me £5 to make inc free fan and free wood from work.
It's a 360m3/h fan and works very well. Only 60watts and very very quiet.
It works very well.

I used a car air filter in mine. I think it was a vauxhall Astra air filter (I've got it written down somewhere)
If you do it this way, its only £5ish to replace from any motor factors as long as they still make filters for that car.

I'm pretty sure they filter down to a quite fine micron too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 374
Not sure if they would have the power to move the air through the filter. I have used one quite well in the past for extracting outside.

I would think a fan from a car might work fine. I don't think you need a very powerful fan for this lind of application.

It would be interesting to see if anyone comes along who has tried it.

regards

Brian

This is made by microclene and but SIP badged. As far as I can tell it is the microclene MC780. This means all the filters are available for it although I have yet to replace them. The unit itself is not too noisy and has definitely reduced the residual dust in my 'shop.

HTH

H.

Having a look at the spec plate on them states that they are rated at EU4 filter which means they can catch 90% of the possible dust in the air. The remaining 10% is the small stuff 0.5micron which cant be captured by this. Still good value for the money I think.

I thought EU4 caught 90% of dust above 1 micron and about 50% of dust at 0.5 micron.

Still, not the best but definitely not the worst.

I've been thinking of getting / making one of these air filters for some time - my shed is full of dust. I read the details on the SIP, and have just ordered 2 of them. That will. I hope, make a big improvement. I will have to have a good clean up when I install them so as to start with a 'clean slate'.

I'll post my findings on whether they do the job when I have given them a fair trial.

For £25 each I'm not sure it would be worth trying to make one, by the time the filter is paid for, then sourcing a suitable motor/fan etc. To me the point is it's the sort of item you know you should have, but getting round to making one is quite another thing, whereas paying out about £100 each is not so attractive either. I've seen them on other sites for even more - £318 on Parker tools and Amazon, £122 on TW Wholesale, £195 on DIY Tools.

I don't think I can go far wrong for £50 for two. I hope not anyway - hope it's not a con, although he seller does have good feedback.

K

All I can say is that it wasn't a con for me. I've been running mine for 4-5 hours/week for the last 2 months and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Best of luck with yours :D

Thanks for that Halo - personal recommendations are always better than advertising blurb. I notice they have just 3 left now, so they have sold 3 (including my 2) in the last hour.

K

Latest posts

Back