Workshop Air Filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Please reccomend a workshop Air filter.

Small workshop (just the sawing room basically) (8m (l) x 3m (w) x 3m (h))

Table saw cutting hardboard mostly, occasional MDF. Crown guard and main dust extraction to industrial collector (bag over bag variety).

Many thanks

Jet AFS-500 about £160ish remote controlled and replacement filters not expensive. Had mine for nearly a year. Lots of people here have them.

ive got the next one up - this one http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Jet- ... -21187.htm bought it for 115 notes second hand from andy corleone on here and thus far i'm well impressed with its performance

one note though is that its a heavy old thing to hang on your own - I wound up balancing it on top of the bandsaw while i stood with one foot on a step ladder and one on the lathe (great H&S practice :whistle: ) and put it up on fairly long chains then moved them up one link at a time

Woodchip,

Where is the main extractor located? If it is co-located and the bag - over type, it may be that replacing the bag with a fine filter will be required (perhaps higher priority / impact) than the air filter???

Not sure, too many if n buts to be perscriptive but worth considering.

Simon

Woodchip,

Make your own!

These things are a fan in a box, with a filter. A low powered bathroom extractor and a replaceable filter element from Axminster are all you need to buy......build a box from scrap.....and put the £100 you saved towards buying some wood. Its an easy weekend project.

Mike

Mike Garnham":p6ouf8hf said:
Woodchip,

Make your own!

These things are a fan in a box, with a filter. A low powered bathroom extractor and a replaceable filter element from Axminster are all you need to buy......build a box from scrap.....and put the £100 you saved towards buying some wood. Its an easy weekend project.

Mike

I second that, unless buying secondhand. They really are just a fan in a box with a filter or two. New, I reckon they are a nice example of ripoff Britain.

If you use a bathroom fan then when you turn it off it will continue to run for a short while after you have left the workshop then turn itself off.

Don't know what the maximum length of time they can be set to though.

Mick

Home made workshop air filter using bathroom fan, after-market air filters and a wooden box. Hmm, that sounds like just what I need.
Anyone got any examples, size of box, construction methods etc ?

Mark

Thanks for the replies so far.

My new business is picture framing (actually I'm buying a long established picture framing business), I'm not sure where a hand plane would fit in? :oops:

Building one sounds good, so I echo Krysstel's reply.

Ta again

Sorry, forgot to mention the dust extractor (bag over bag) is a couple of feet from the saw.

Inspired by DaveL's dust filter I went one step further and my wife run up filters on her sewing M/C using pollen filter sheets from Lidl's, the fan was from an old microwave and the box made up from some old 3mm wardrobe backs.
Cost a couple of quid.

Jeff.

Hey ! This thread really is a ''breath of fresh air" in our time of hardship and squabbling politicians . Mike Garhnam ! your country needs you , and more like you . Cheers !!!

I have several approx 300m x 300m filters that I could let folks have - I bought a box of 12 when I made my filter but to be honest, with hobby use I have only ever had to blow the dust off outside once in 18 mths or so so can't really see me needing all 12 - plus it is a big box in a small workshop!!!

£5 ea ??

Simon

If you have not already found it, here is the thread were I made an air filter, not very pretty but very functional. 8)
I have it connected via a remote control socket, so it can be turned on without having to cross the shop, same as my cyclone dust collector. :D

I'd second the Jet AFS 500 - had one for a few years now and even took it on site when I was cutting a load of MDF. Mine doesn't have a remote control but WTF - it just stays on all day, and at the end of the day you can vacuum all the dust of the front of the filter and contemplate that this is a better system than using your respiratory system to filter air.

Latest posts

Back