Working with an angle grinder.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc_ni

Established Member
Reaction score
When I used to butcher metal for a living I used to always use the grinder with the guard fitted.

Something I've noticed recently when watching the likes of American Chopper is that when they use the grinder it's with the guard removed.

I know from experience that at times the guard can be a PITA but I would never of considered using it with the guard removed because I would consider it to be to big of a risk.

What's the opinion of others, guard on or guard off?

I have always used one with the guard fitted. Must say I didn't know they could be removed, have just been to look at mine and realised how easy it was. Would never remove it as I can't see any reason for removing it.

On the few occasions I have nipped the end of a finger with a griderette or sanding pad it reinforces my determination to work with the guard on, after all they can be adjusted out of the way whilst still protecting the hand. I guess in all American Chopper the grinders are all so weak they don't bite or the users are all so dumb they don't notice. The steel-bashers equivalent of having no riving knife I suppose.

dc_ni":7nc69sjg said:
When I used to butcher metal for a living I used to always use the grinder with the guard fitted.

Something I've noticed recently when watching the likes of American Chopper is that when they use the grinder it's with the guard removed.

I know from experience that at times the guard can be a PITA but I would never of considered using it with the guard removed because I would consider it to be to big of a risk.

What's the opinion of others, guard on or guard off?

ALWAYS guard on. I was watching an American show last week, and the guy was grinding (with a guard I think) but no eye protection and the sparks were hitting his chest. I've set a piece of cloth on fire before now with the sparks from a 9 inch grinder. Common sense really.

Yes

I frequently set fire to my overalls using 5 inch grinders, its a compromise between my eyes and overalls - tough lock overalls :wink:

I've never had a disc shatter but the thought of the consequences ensures I use a guard on all occasions

Regards Mick

phil.p":1qm6emtn said:
The one time I had to use one with no guard I was on my back trying to cut four rusted bolts on two close coupled toilet cisterns - I couldn't get to them with the guard on. It was a brown trouser job. :shock:

At least you were in the right area to have a brown trouser moment :lol:

If at any point you think something isn't safe simply don't do it there will be a better way, if it goes wrong (and you'll think it wont on the spur of the moment) you cold regret it for the rest of your life...

Spindle":nknv0lj4 said:
Yes

I frequently set fire to my overalls using 5 inch grinders, its a compromise between my eyes and overalls - tough lock overalls :wink:

I've never had a disc shatter but the thought of the consequences ensures I use a guard on all occasions

Regards Mick
When we lived in London my neighbour across the road was using a 9" angle grinder to cut away the brickwork to enlarge his garage door opening. The disc shattered and part went up his arm scoring his overalls, nicked his neck and landed in my front garden. Not a lot frightened him but that did!

Regards Keith

ps The same guy was working on his car on a very hot summer's day. He took the petrol cap off and petrol for some reason came out under pressure all over him. I can remember him stripping all his clothes off in the front garden and dashing inside starkers to have a shower :roll:

Woodchips2":1r8qavcd said:
I can remember him stripping all his clothes off in the front garden and dashing inside starkers to have a shower :roll:

The general consensus here is that it didn't happen without photos, but in this instance I'm sure you'll be forgiven! :lol:

:lol: I had a box of Swan matches explode in my trouser pocket 2.00am one night as I got out of the car. The pockets were nylon and one melted to my leg as I whipped my trousers down in the middle of the main road. For the next 28yrs I used a Zippo.

Just to make it unanimous (I think),for me it's guard ON, every time. The guard can be rotated around its own axis on my tool (and I think all others I've seen) and this allows access in 99% of cases. For those pretty rare occasions when you can't get it in (in a manner of speaking), I use a Dremel with a cut-off disc or mounted stone, as appropriate. Dremels don't have guards and although many people regard them as just toys they're not really playthings and I'm always VERY careful with that too when using mine.

Oh yes, and +1 for safety specs (or visor) as well.

Krgds
AES

For what it's worth, here's my attitude when cutting or grinding metal with an angle grinder:-

1. leather apron - really saves my clothes. Mine slips over the head and I fasten it around my waist by using a bungee cord - quick and easy, no tying bows or getting cord knotted. It's amazing how quickly the sparks ruin clothes.

2. goggles and ear muffs. Always, goggles and ear muffs.

3. Guard on, always on. Only ever removed if I'm using a wire wheel, in which case I always use gloves.

4. On my 9" grinder I use a quick release nut with built in clutch. They cost about £14 but well worth it. I don't think I've ever had the clutch slip but it's good insurance.

5. Check for flammable items such as petrol cans which might be in the line of sparks. I had a battery on charge once and did some angle grinding nearby without thinking - pop / bang / split battery (£60 gone) and the mess of acid spilt all over the workshop floor. Another mistake that could have been serious.

One word of warning - a friend was using an angle grinder and had protective gloves on. He switched it off but the disc was still rotating when it caught his thumb, going straight through the glove and severing a tendon. He's now facing months of physio, off work and unable to drive. Treat with respect until disc has stopped.

K

About 10 years ago I was cleaning rust from the underside of my Moggy van with a 4 1/2" grinderette and a twisted wire cup brush when I hit part of the chassis and knocked the thing from my grasp. It fell down onto my bare right fore-arm between where the leather gauntlets ended and my shirt began, still spinning, although slowing down. I still have the now fading scar and the memory of trying to get out from under the van and away from the grinder. Since that time even when it is as hot as this week I have always worn welders leather sleeves if grinding in odd positions.
I also had a mate who was grinding out plate seams with a 9" grinder held vertically in front of him it kicked back, lifting the face screen he was wearing and cut most of his upper lip off. Fortunately it missed his teeth and they sewed it all back, but it was a nasty mess for awhile.

graduate_owner":3uxfnwsg said:
For what it's worth, here's my attitude when cutting or grinding metal with an angle grinder:-

1. leather apron - really saves my clothes. Mine slips over the head and I fasten it around my waist by using a bungee cord - quick and easy, no tying bows or getting cord knotted. It's amazing how quickly the sparks ruin clothes.

2. goggles and ear muffs. Always, goggles and ear muffs.

3. Guard on, always on. Only ever removed if I'm using a wire wheel, in which case I always use gloves.

4. On my 9" grinder I use a quick release nut with built in clutch. They cost about £14 but well worth it. I don't think I've ever had the clutch slip but it's good insurance.

5. Check for flammable items such as petrol cans which might be in the line of sparks. I had a battery on charge once and did some angle grinding nearby without thinking - pop / bang / split battery (£60 gone) and the mess of acid spilt all over the workshop floor. Another mistake that could have been serious.

One word of warning - a friend was using an angle grinder and had protective gloves on. He switched it off but the disc was still rotating when it caught his thumb, going straight through the glove and severing a tendon. He's now facing months of physio, off work and unable to drive. Treat with respect until disc has stopped.

K

Exchange goggles for a face visor or welding helmet (because goggles mist up) add a simple dust mask and clothes made out of natural fibres, and I'm in full agreement with the above.

Back