Angle grinder guard swap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throbscottle

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Metabo W9 115 Quick angle grinder (last year's birthday present), which is a delight to use, however wanting to take advantage of the grinder disks they have in Lidl, I'm not so delighted because they are next size up! I got some dished ones anyway since they would sit in the wider part of the guard, but found still just slightly too big. (Yes, they are adequately speed-rated!)

So anyway, does anyone know if the guard for the W9 125 (p/n D.125) is the same fit as the one I've got (p/n D.115, predictably)? It looks as though it's the same, but I don't want to go buying one only to find it isn't.

Or should I just get a generic guard - would one fit under the "tool-less" lever? - even just for long enough to wear a few mm off each disk.

Waiting with bated breath...

I've got a 115 as well, I've had the same issue buying 125mm disks in error (probably lidl too), when this grinder goes I'm going to try and get the larger size, I'd not thought to buy a new guard, I assume it is one of those things where buying a part is almost as much the cost of a new tool.

The guards are highly variable in price. Cheap generic one starts about £4 I think. Proper Metabo ones some are selling them about £7 but they go all the way up to £30 or £40 for the same thing (well, I didn't look too closely to see if they are all the tool-less guard). Crazy. But they are not cheap grinders. Cost of a new tool would be if it was a budget brand.

I have a Metabo W9 115 Quick angle grinder (last year's birthday present), which is a delight to use, however wanting to take advantage of the grinder disks they have in Lidl, I'm not so delighted because they are next size up! I got some dished ones anyway since they would sit in the wider part of the guard, but found still just slightly too big. (Yes, they are adequately speed-rated!)

So anyway, does anyone know if the guard for the W9 125 (p/n D.125) is the same fit as the one I've got (p/n D.115, predictably)? It looks as though it's the same, but I don't want to go buying one only to find it isn't.

Or should I just get a generic guard - would one fit under the "tool-less" lever? - even just for long enough to wear a few mm off each disk.

Waiting with bated breath...
A word of caution. Cars (for example) are designed to ensure that all the components match with the overall performance spec/design of the vehicle i.e. brakes, shocks, tyres, supension etc. Changing one component may put the performance, or safety, of the vehicle out of tilt. Might this not apply to the angle grinder? Don't really know, just thinking.

So anyway, does anyone know if the guard for the W9 125 (p/n D.125) is the same fit as the one I've got (p/n D.115, predictably)?

You are asking the wrong question in the sense that you are trying to fit a guard to a machine. What you actually need to do is fit a machine to a guard.

The guard fits to some part of the grinder (on my low-tech Makita, it clamps to the aluminium casting that houses the spindle).

Find exploded diagrams of the two models of grinder and see if the part number for the thing the guard fixes to is the same. If it is, it is the same part and either guard will fit either machine.

We know the guards are different. We do not need part numbers to tell us that fact. What we do not know is if the clamping surface is different.

how many did you buy and is it worth trying to find a guard , when it maybe cheaper just to buy the correct sized discs - ??? not sure on the prices now , as i have a 115mm cable grinder and seem to remember the disks are quite cheap for 10 or more - i think i purchesd a pack of 10 for about a £5 a few years ago

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...ck/111jr#product_additional_details_container
i also have a cordless 125mm and purchased a few from amazon

I think i also got some from Lidl before covid

just thinking of the cost of a guard verses 10 pack disks

And lidl dnt always have the disks - so once those have gone - then you are back to buying again

dont change the guard.......it's because of RPM's.....
I just bought a vari speed 125mm grinder from Lidil's for €29,99......
not worth the hastle...

You are asking the wrong question in the sense that you are trying to fit a guard to a machine. What you actually need to do is fit a machine to a guard.

The guard fits to some part of the grinder (on my low-tech Makita, it clamps to the aluminium casting that houses the spindle).

Find exploded diagrams of the two models of grinder and see if the part number for the thing the guard fixes to is the same. If it is, it is the same part and either guard will fit either machine.

We know the guards are different. We do not need part numbers to tell us that fact. What we do not know is if the clamping surface is different.
Very good point. Wish I'd thought of that!

The no load speed for the 115 and 125 versions of the grinder is 10500 rpm. I think (without looking) the disks are rated to 12000 rpm. So that's a non-issue. I'm seriously wondering if the only difference between them is the guard size.
The big advantage with the Lidl disks is they sell mixed packs! Which makes 1-offs and try-it-and-see relatively cheap. Also the Parkside stuff tends to be good for the price.
The grinder cost about £80 so I won't be looking for another one.
@ChaiLatte I checked the part number of the bit it fits to - part of the gear housing - yep, just the same.
I re-checked prices. About 12-13 quid including postage. More than I hoped and a lot less than I feared. Thinking about making one - if only to use for wearing off the first few mm.

@Etaf - it's circular logic. I'm going to need to buy disks no matter what. I bought 1 x 3 pack of 6mm ones, as it happens. However it's not just Lidl. I wanted a concrete cutting disk at short notice last year. B&Q was convenient as I was passing but they had sold out of 4.5" ones. A few 5". My local ironmongers had a couple that I wouldn't have chosen but at least got the job done. Thanks for the link btw - I'd been wanting some 1mm disks but put off by the cost of not-rubbish ones!

Some companies sell their grinders with 2 sizes of guards, 115 and 125.
But, grinders are like clamps..IME ( sculptor ) one can never have too many grinders...10 asst 115 and 125 ones ATM + 2 big slab , marble granite, brick and breize block ones ( I think they are 250 or 300 something ) .
Having a different disc or cleaner or tungsten rasp ( kutzall type ) , or diamond disc etc on each one saves all that faffing about changing discs or rasp discs.
I've got a cupboard full of discs , disc rasps , diamond discs and sanding pads, the Parkside ones are not bad at all in 115 or 125.
Their grinders are OK too.

@mwinfrance - wow! I don't think I'll ever have that level of usage! I have 2 drills on the go sometimes (actually I think I used 3 at once on one occasion). That's likely to be my limit.
@bourbon - That is far too sensible. I knew the size but bought them in a spirit of enquiry, as it would be nice to have the extra option.

Latest posts

Back