Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If wanting for handtool woodworking neither really gave enough mass for hand planing

If your a good skip rat like me, can cost you next to nothing all timber in mine came from skips joists door frames and studding

Attachments

• 20210815_202639.jpg
    20210815_202639.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
6x2 x4.8 m X3 @ £25 = 75
4x4 x4.8m £50

I think he brought top priced timber tbh.
I would hope so at that price.

My last bench was built from scaffold boards, planed and glued up. It was okay and served a purpose. Included retractable castors so I could move it when I needed to but was weighty enough to not move when wheels were retracted. Removal men managed to damage it. Scaffold boards are now 50% dearer than pre-covid price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154624873684
Anyone familiar with the above bench? would the similar looking Axminster one at nearly twice the price be that much better?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354057706656
TIA
I have to admit I looked at that sip bench and couldn't believe it for the money. I bought the Axminster in the end and I love it, but then I'm a hand tool newbie and my opinion means very little. I was just happy to have one less thing to research and build 🤪
I still fancy building a roubo one day but I first need to earn my stripes and justify the need

My bench does skid a little on my smooth laminate floor if planning hard woods sometimes but you can always brace it against the wall with a simple block of wood at the feet
Martin

No, it doesn't. No disrespect to the others who have kindly taken the time to reply, yours is the most relevant / pertinent for me.
Buying that bench was honestly the best decision for me and my woodwork 'journey'... I was in danger of spiralling into an ever increasingly complex web of bench research and design iterations - constantly spinning ideas in my head for the ultimate workbench (which doesn't exist) and going round in circles and never actually achieving anything other than reading more books and coming up with more (compromised) designs. Hint... They are all compromised.

Since getting the bench I don't have one single regret, other than perhaps wasting 3 months thinking about it instead of just buying one that works perfectly well 😅

Martin

Those benches are too short for something your going to spend money on IMO,
if they were longer, then that would make sense as you could brace the top against something,
and get away with the flimsy base, without smacking into the wall (should you not have another bench or whatever in-between.
I use nearly every inch of length on my 7' bench, which is about as much as I want,
i.e planing door stiles for example, the work is fully supported.

Have you looked for something like a school bench or similar, likely can be bought for very little.
Another possible shortcut might be a smooth rigid fire door,
Then you could look out for an even cheaper bench, if only to plonk the door on top, or whatever.

Tom

Functionally there is not much between the two. I cant see the Axminster being any better than the SIP to be honest as both have pretty flimsy leg arrangements. They both look like they will wrack too much for handplane work as they are. One easy way to stiffen them up would be to box in the back and ends with plywood. As others have said building a sturdy bench is a good thing but I realize we all need to start someplace as well.
Regards
John

A while back I built my bench out of American Maple from a local yard, I shamelessly copied it from pictures I saw of a one time poster here (Lord Kitchener??) so didn't really have firm plans and just went for it!
I can't remember the cost of materials but probably less than £500 and is rock solid and works well for most woodworking tasks
/Ed

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 0
As above, these (shown in the OP) aren't really substantial enough. If you want one on a budget, then the Lumberjack versions are similar but cheaper. I bought one and added some ply under the thin Beachwood top to thicken it up (drilling the dog holes through) and stiffened it by screwing a ply back to it. All for less than the cost of either of the above. It's done me proud for a fair few years. Vice is rubbish but this can be replaced.

The one built by imageel above is spot on, lovely bit of work. Personally, I like to leave a lip all round the worktop which helps when clamping work.

I know it is nice to stand back and admire a workbench that is a thing of beauty and work of art, look at the ones made by Dennis from HOW, Mike K and such but at the end of the day it is a workbench that is there as another tool and it is what is made on the bench that should be more important. I take the functional approach, make it deliver for you and use things like 4 inch fence post if you want a solid bench but at the same time nothing wrong in laminating ply to make the legs so long as it functions, what I am saying is there is not one bench for all taste and working methods.

A while back I built my bench out of American Maple from a local yard, I shamelessly copied it from pictures I saw of a one time poster here (Lord Kitchener??) so didn't really have firm plans and just went for it!
I can't remember the cost of materials but probably less than £500 and is rock solid and works well for most woodworking tasks
/Ed
Nowhere near as posh but that's similar to the one I made from glued-up scaffold boards. That had pull-out, cantilevered tables that held tablesaw and an oscillating belt and bobbin sander. I then made a scaled-down version for a thicknesser with a through support table to better support the workpiece and reduce snipe. I was really pleased with how that came out but then had very little use for the thicknesser which was purchased primarily to plane scaffold boards to make benches from!

I know it is nice to stand back and admire a workbench that is a thing of beauty and work of art, look at the ones made by Dennis from HOW, Mike K and such but at the end of the day it is a workbench that is there as another tool and it is what is made on the bench that should be more important. I take the functional approach, make it deliver for you and use things like 4 inch fence post if you want a solid bench but at the same time nothing wrong in laminating ply to make the legs so long as it functions, what I am saying is there is not one bench for all taste and working methods.
Spot on. When I set about setting up my first workshop, I found I was spending more time making things for the workshop or modifying purchased items to make them even remotely usable. Case in point was a 'heavy duty workbench' bought off the internet. It comprised of thin folded steel sections for the frame and MDF worktop, shelves and pegboard, complete with pegs that came out of the holes far too easily. Was so badly machined lining up the bolt holes to assemble the frame was much harder than it should have been. Once assembled, one of the 'heavy duty' legs folded as I tried to manoeuvre the bench into position prior to adding the MDF parts. I knocked that back into shape and stiffened it up squar(ish) timber from B&Q and did the same for the other three legs. Replaced the 12mm MDF worktop with 18mm ply, used the 12mm MF in place of the 6mm MDF shelf which in turn was used to create routing templates. Subsequently boxed in the ends with more 18mm ply, used two more pieces to divide the rea between worktop and lower shelf into thirds, adding drawers to these which added to bench's bulk and stability and probably tripling or quadrupling its cost. Didn't bother with the backboard but created a grid from 12mm battens and attached the pegboard to that, cutting some plugs, drilled and glued onto the pegs which were then fed through the back before fitting the whole lot to the wall where it was still hanging when I sold up two years ago.

This time, I fancied something nicer without so much fuss although I had already decided to bulk it up with ply panels that would also form storage cabinet/drawers. With vices as I seem to have lost all mine somewhere along the way.

I have to admit I looked at that sip bench and couldn't believe it for the money. I bought the Axminster in the end and I love it, but then I'm a hand tool newbie and my opinion means very little. I was just happy to have one less thing to research and build 🤪
I still fancy building a roubo one day but I first need to earn my stripes and justify the need

My bench does skid a little on my smooth laminate floor if planning hard woods sometimes but you can always brace it against the wall with a simple block of wood at the feet
Martin

Bolt your bench top to a wall.

This is like adding a turbocharger to a motor.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bolt your bench top to a wall.

This is like adding a turbocharger to a motor.

Regards from Perth

Derek
That would be fine in a large workshop or one with little else in it but within he limitations of a typical UK sized single-car garage, whether I like to or not, I am constantly shifting things around to either use them or get access to something else that they're in the way of!

Back