Product question......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't it depend on what you want it to do? I thought it was pressure to remove bubbles in casting, vacuum for getting thermosetting resin into punky wood to stabilise it, or for a first pass to remove the majority of bubbles before hitting it with pressure to do the rest.

Vacuum looks like an interesting way of getting a lot more out of resins, though you seem to have been making some very nice stuff without it?

Most turners that do resin work use a pressure pot as it gives positive pressure, The vacuum system is an extraction method, I can't see how using vacuum produces a positive pressure forcing resin into the wood ?.

Most turners that do resin work use a pressure pot as it gives positive pressure, The vacuum system is an extraction method, I can't see how using vacuum produces a positive pressure forcing resin into the wood ?.
For single component thermosetting resins like cactus juice. You draw the air out of the wood and then atmospheric pressure forces the resin into the pores when the pressure is released. Seems very popular, especially in the US for stabilising soft pieces.

I have not got round to trying it yet, but bought a second hand vacuum chamber to give it a go. I hope it works otherwise I will have a huge armoured dustbin cluttering up the place!

See them a lot as paint pressure pot.
For resin casting though I'm not so sure, even though the claim it!
If you look at recognised casting resin pots they start at double or triple that cost. And true resin casting pots are not used for that purpose.

You see a lot of YT videos, that show these type of paint sprayer pressure being converted to resin casting, so I don't see how it can be dual purpose. As for the conversion, the sprayer outlets are blanked of.

Not saying its not right, but the advertising claims seem a bit spurious, but I may be wrong.

Here's a reddit post on conversion using vevor pot.

I have the 30 ltr Vevor paint pot and converted it to use for resin casting. I turn wood and got sick of destroying beautiful root balls with bubbled resin. It gets rid of all the bubbles with no issues, and holds pressure of 50 psi for at least 3 days.(I forgot that I had it loaded once). When I first converted it I had a leak around where the mixing handle and rod enter the chamber. I had sealed the hole with a bolt, nut and washer and pressure was slowly escaping. I built a little coffer dam around it and filled it with cheap chinese epoxy glue and the problem was solved. I saved around $350 over the California Resin Pot.
PXL_20230808_115247392.jpg
PXL_20230808_115223774.jpg
PXL_20230808_115145330.jpg

Doesn't it depend on what you want it to do? I thought it was pressure to remove bubbles in casting, vacuum for getting thermosetting resin into punky wood to stabilise it, or for a first pass to remove the majority of bubbles before hitting it with pressure to do the rest.

Vacuum looks like an interesting way of getting a lot more out of resins, though you seem to have been making some very nice stuff without it?
Thanks, i guess my reasons would be for stabilizing wood, being able to use epoxy filled bamboo which is terrible for creating bubbles and using just pure epoxy without colour.... ! cheers

Last edited:
See them a lot as paint pressure pot.
For resin casting though I'm not so sure, even though the claim it!
If you look at recognised casting resin pots they start at double or triple that cost. And true resin casting pots are not used for that purpose.

You see a lot of YT videos, that show these type of paint sprayer pressure being converted to resin casting, so I don't see how it can be dual purpose. As for the conversion, the sprayer outlets are blanked of.

Not saying its not right, but the advertising claims seem a bit spurious, but I may be wrong.

Here's a reddit post on conversion using vevor pot.

wow. many thanks

I have the 30 ltr Vevor paint pot and converted it to use for resin casting. I turn wood and got sick of destroying beautiful root balls with bubbled resin. It gets rid of all the bubbles with no issues, and holds pressure of 50 psi for at least 3 days.(I forgot that I had it loaded once). When I first converted it I had a leak around where the mixing handle and rod enter the chamber. I had sealed the hole with a bolt, nut and washer and pressure was slowly escaping. I built a little coffer dam around it and filled it with cheap chinese epoxy glue and the problem was solved. I saved around $350 over the California Resin Pot.View attachment 164154View attachment 164155View attachment 164156
Superb info, thanks

Thanks, i guess my reasons would be for stabilizing wood, being able to use epoxy filled bamboo which is terrible for creating bubbles and using just pure epoxy without colour.... ! cheers
For the stabilising this country seems quite expensive. All the Americans use cactus juice which is a fortune over here. I bought some stuff which is apparently the same and a bit cheaper from Poland, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Żywica ImpResin90 1kg

If it doesn't need strengthening and just causes loads of bubbles, have you tried doing it in 2 stages? Thin coat to seal, then bigger pour to fill?

From what I have read, the use of a pressure pot for casting is preferred as the required pressure can be achieved fairly quickly, which is important if your cure time is short, whereas it takes longer to achieve a vacuum and some resins will go off before it all bubbles are released. If using cactus juice the vacuum release helps to impregnate the fibres before then curing the piece in an oven. If the same piece were pressurised then the air bubbles would expand on release negating the benefit of resin impregnation. That is my understanding of the differences.

From what I have read, the use of a pressure pot for casting is preferred as the required pressure can be achieved fairly quickly, which is important if your cure time is short, whereas it takes longer to achieve a vacuum and some resins will go off before it all bubbles are released. If using cactus juice the vacuum release helps to impregnate the fibres before then curing the piece in an oven. If the same piece were pressurised then the air bubbles would expand on release negating the benefit of resin impregnation. That is my understanding of the differences.
Good info, thanks

Back