WorkBench top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am thinking of renewing my workbench top at the same time I will add some drawers and an extra vice ( a wagon vice probably).

Now my present top is one layer of 18mm chipboard and 1 of 18mm mdf with a sheet of hardboard on top. This is ok for rough work but the lack of flatness is a real pain.

So I am thinking either support the top with more crosspieces and then three sheets of mdf or possibly buy a 4mtr x600mm beech worktop - cut it in two and join it to make a 2mtr x 1200mm top and somehow add the wagon vice to this.

Has anyone had experience of using manufactured hardwood tops and anyone know a nice cheap supplier?

I have seen one for approx £160.

or i could make an oak top myself for approx same money but i havnt got a jointer plane to flatten it afterwards !

thanks

Mike

Hi,
Great minds think alike :). I'm also in the planning stages of a new workbench and was considering getting a 3.0m x 0.62m x 40mm beech worktop. Then cut it in two and laminate to get a nice thick and hopefully flat beech benchtop. The cheapest I'd found so far was these guys:
http://www.chippyshop.co.uk/Wooden_Worktops/Beech_Worktops.html
I have no other info on them. I'm also interested in anyone else using this sort of material for a bench. I don't have thicknessing facilities or a looooong plane, so this seems another option to a built up beech top.

Boz

Paul Chapman has used a three layer mdf bench top for the last 10 years or so. I've seen it in the 'flesh' and it's very good. All he does (if memory serves) is wax it occasionally - Rob

woodbloke":6fzag32c said:
Paul Chapman has used a three layer mdf bench top for the last 10 years or so. I've seen it in the 'flesh' and it's very good. All he does (if memory serves) is wax it occasionally - Rob
I'll be doing the same. Three layers of 18mm MDF varnished or waxed for some liquid/moisture protection.

Paul's MDF bench top: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=373482#373482

Vikash":le1pzfea said:
woodbloke":le1pzfea said:
I'll be doing the same. Three layers of 18mm MDF varnished or waxed for some liquid/moisture protection.

Paul's MDF bench top: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=373482#373482
I think I might add over the top of the mdf a bit of sacrificial hardboard that could be replaced every few years. Not really essential, but it would give the mdf a bit of protection from dings and dents - Rob

Boz62":1j3nggvd said:
Hi,
Great minds think alike :). I'm also in the planning stages of a new workbench and was considering getting a 3.0m x 0.62m x 40mm beech worktop. Then cut it in two and laminate to get a nice thick and hopefully flat beech benchtop. The cheapest I'd found so far was these guys:
http://www.chippyshop.co.uk/Wooden_Worktops/Beech_Worktops.html
I have no other info on them. I'm also interested in anyone else using this sort of material for a bench. I don't have thicknessing facilities or a looooong plane, so this seems another option to a built up beech top.

Boz
What about Ikea :shock: :D
This is £117 for 38mm http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10123675
and this £54 for 28mm http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60057753
Both beech.

I'm considering exactly the same solution; either 2 layers of MDF with a beech edging or beech worktop, 1 layer of 38mm.

Mark

Chippys workshop is cheap at £145 :D :D

Ikea is dearer as the lengths are only 1.25mtrs

I might use i sheet of mdf then the beech on top - I know it would be ok to use all mdf but im hoping a nice looking workbench will inspire me to keep it clean :? :oops: :D

Mike

Birch ply is another option. I have 2 layers screwed to the Bench frame. When the top of one gets too bad I'll just flip it over - that gives me 4 surfaces. Prior to the Birch I used MDF, lasted me around 12 years. I'm pretty sure the birch will outlive me.

Hi Mike,

I considered doing this, but in the end I laminated lots of strips of beech together. It was a lot more work for sure, but doubt that it does the job any differently. I also used a wagon vice, which is contained within several thicker strips of wood fixed to the front of the main top. It slides between a backer strip and the face strip in some slots. You loose a bit of potential holding length compared to some other vices, but there is certainly no twisting as the dogs are aligned with the vice screw.

Cheers,

Dod

mikepooley":1u7y5an8 said:
I might use i sheet of mdf then the beech on top - I know it would be ok to use all mdf but im hoping a nice looking workbench will inspire me to keep it clean :? :oops: :D

Mike
Wouldn't this be like a piece of MDF with an extremely thick veneer? In which case wouldn't it be prone to cupping as the beech moves with humidity changes?

Dave

Dave S":1pmr7867 said:
mikepooley":1pmr7867 said:

Mike
Wouldn't this be like a piece of MDF with an extremely thick veneer? In which case wouldn't it be prone to cupping as the beech moves with humidity changes?

Dave

Mmh I dunno really :oops: would it?

what if it wasnt glued?

I have found a place on ebay slightly cheaper - inc delivery its £150 which is £2.50 cheaper than the chippy shop :shock:

mikepooley":2ga6k95n said:
Chippys workshop is cheap at £145 :D :D

Ikea is dearer as the lengths are only 1.25mtrs

Mike

Use the pull-down in the Ikea menu. The £117 i quoted is for 2.46 meter long.

Latest posts

Back