Workbench Top Finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickthorn

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm finishing off a workbench..the top is 3 x 8" boards of sycamore, and I'm wondering what would be good to finish it with. I think an oil finish might be good, as varnish may chip. I tend to favour boiled linseed oil (I don't mind the extra drying times, etc; it's cheap and I've got some), but will this be hard wearing enough? Other finishes I've seen, but never used are hard wax oil and Polyurethane oil here

One thought - IIRC David Charleworth recommends not applying any finish.

The thought being that the unfinished timber will 'grip' items placed on it for sanding / light plane work etc where as a finsihed bench will cause them to skid around meaning everything has to be clamped in place.

I am following this advice on my new bench and all is well so far!

Simon.

It depends whether you want it to stay looking reasonable. No doubt DC is right but most of us have to use our benches for very grubby non-woodworking things now and then and dirt loves bare wood. I have used Danish oil on mine and it's OK and easy to renew.

Jim

JanneKi":2tv7u2zj said:
One vote for Shellac - easy to apply, dries quickly, easy to fix.

What product do you use? Flakes and meths, or do you use a pre-mixed product?

Cheers!

Flakes + meth, flakes can be stored for a very long time without problems. Pre-mixed will only last 6-12 months.

JanneKi":1ma39232 said:
Flakes + meth, flakes can be stored for a very long time without problems. Pre-mixed will only last 6-12 months.

Thanks JanneKi - what cut do you use? Ive just dont some reading an Ive found that french polishing uses around an oz to a quarter pint of meths, but for a workbench I would guess you use a thicker solution and brush it on?

Also, do you wipe off, like an oil finish?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Back