Workbench finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabs

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Could I just get some guidance on workbench finishes? I have osmo polyx which I could use, would this provide reasonable enough protection? Is there value in adding hard wax on top after the polyx it has cured?

It's mostly doug fir

What do people generally use for workbench finishing? Main priority I suppose is durability

Polyx sounds like a disease.

Many thanks.

Polyx is hardwax oil, so I don't quite get your meaning. A coat or two of hardwax, polyurethane, BLO or whatever is enough - you don't want to make it shiny, just to be able to get glue spills etc. off. I use BLO - it's cheapest, but it's usually what comes to hand at the time.

thanks Phil I have some rustoleum hard paste wax I was meaning, I think I was getting confused by polyx being referred to as a kind of polyurethane, thanks for clarifying

My workbench top is 18mm MDF (on top of 18mm ply) - designed to be replaceable if/when needed.
I've only ever applied regular beeswax every now and then, any glue spills etc come off easy...
Only a hobbyist sawdust maker and other than a few drill holes/saw cuts the top is still in pretty good condition after 6+ years...

I’ve wiped mine over with osmo, as it cures hard pretty quickly it doesn’t transfer to what I’m working on.
Is also easy to top up every now and again.
I wouldn’t bother with adding wax on top

The only finish on my bench is the occasional drip from over enthusiastic application of shellac or blo. No finish for the workbench itself.

BLO is all you need and has been the traditional finish for as long as there have been benches around. Avoid shiney slippery surfaces as it makes holding the workpiece in place harder. On a previous bench I used a 2 pac floor coating as I thought thats hard and will last. It was beautiful, shone like the sun but a real pain in the caboose to do woodwork on. I ended up giving it a going over with 80 grit to prevent things sliding around.
Regards
John

The best thing I have on my (ply) benches are the rubber non slip mats from the pound shop!
Given the price of 18mm ply these days my next bench will be the tarmac floor!

Avoid shiney slippery surfaces as it makes holding the workpiece in place harder.
I've never encountered this problem having a shiny bench, what's easy to clean.
I don't do "on the fly" stuff much though, i.e no site work,
and generally be doing the same operation multiple times,
and will trap the wood if I need do something where force is applied across the timber
i.e sawing, shoulder plane etc

If I do need to do this, I have plenty of f clamps for that.

Work bench doesn't need a finish but a smear of linseed oil helps make it easier to remove glue blobs and keep clean.

I think well find that traditional finished was the bare wood. Its a bench to work on, not a piece of fine furniture to show off to friends and family.

I will ask(I've been on the Rum, I always get a bit soppy on the rum) what happens when the summer comes around and the workshop is hot ? That oil finish might start to bleed out and into the timber component sitting on it.

I think well find that traditional finished was the bare wood. Its a bench to work on, not a piece of fine furniture to show off to friends and family.

I will ask(I've been on the Rum, I always get a bit soppy on the rum) what happens when the summer comes around and the workshop is hot ? That oil finish might start to bleed out and into the timber component sitting on it.
Dont mind a wee nip of Appleton estate or Mount Gay myself after a day in the shed. My shed can reach temps in excess of 50 C at times and there has been no problem with the blo bleeding. Bench is about 10 years old now so likely has had a couple of touch up coats on top of the initial 2. Like any oil applied to wood the excess is wiped off. Its not slather and forget as that will cause a sticky mess.
Regards
John

Just a mad rambling thought...

Still on the Rum. With Bundaberg ginger beer.

TBH I was never sure myself. Joiners benches always had a bit of a sheen and clearly had a thin varnish finish, but others were untreated.

Finished mine with a box store varnish because that was cheapest. Holds up fine and glue from glue up wipes clean off or comes off straight away with a scraper with no hassle. Have an unfinished bench too, while nice in a way it's a pita to keep clean and any glue spill is harder to clear up

Back