Work surfaces finished with polyx hard wax oil

Help Support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


New member
18 Feb 2020
Reaction score

I'm looking for some advice concerning my freshly refinished worksurfaces.

The story until now:

I sanded my countertops down to the bare wood this weekend. With a max grit of 180. Following this I applied osmo polyx hard wax oil (recommended by Matt Estlea on YouTube) using a nonabrasive white pad. I was careful to use very thin layers as recommended by the manufacturer and Matt's video. I waited at least eight hours between layers (I did three). After each coat was applied I rubbed it down with my nonabrasive pad to ensure even distribution throughout the countertops.

After the final coat was applied, I waited a further 18 hours before putting all kitchen appliances into the surface. In the morning (27 hours after the last application) I put a plate onto the surface. This left a ring on the surface. Additionally, there were small specs of water left on the surface.

I called osmo directly to check that I've not done anything wrong, they advised me that the product takes 14 days to cure and that I've probably not added enough to the surface. So, I rubbed the surface over the ring and the water spots which removed them. Then added one more layer and rubbed the surface down as instructed.

The surface looks great, not too shiny, smooth and feels like it's got a good protective layer on it.

I think that's the process covered in full.... This was my first time finishing a worksurface and my first time using osmo polyx hard wax oil, it has given me the finish I want, but I'm unsure of the "usual" reactions in this 14 day curing period.

Now, has anyone used the product on their work surfaces? Is this normal behaviour of the product a day after application?

Thank you in advance.
Looks ok, but my only comment is your “rubbing” of the surface. A very light wipe is all it should take between coats to de-nib. Just wandered if you have taken too much off, but it could just be terminology.
My way of doing it is to flood the surface with Osmo, then wipe off the surplus after 15 minutes. I don’t rub down as I find that the surface is smooth with no raised grain. Then recoat once.

Yes a wet cup will leave a ring but this disappears after a few minutes.
I've had a somewhat similar experience. I followed the same Matt Estlea video and applied 2 coats to 4 birch ply desk tops. A few months later they all seem to have water damage where the grain feels a bit raised and the surface is rough. Is that normal for Polyx? I have another birch ply desk finished with water based varnish that although not as smooth to begin with, is holding it's finish much better - no noticeable damage/wear to it. Got a new desk to do and can't decide if I should have another go at Polyx or not.
I had similar issues when applying the finish using a pad. I think just not enough finish is put down and leaves the wood not entirely protected. I finished some inside surfaces before I glued up a unit. Then when I wiped the glue off with a damp cloth to clean the glue all the surfaces it touched raised the grain. Not enough oil had soaked into the wood and the wax top is barely there.

My process is now to use a foam roller and apply the Osmo with that. Generally two coats is enough but keep it thin. I generally apply my oil in the house now. My workshop just doesn't have the warmth and air flow so the surfaces are always tacky the day after. If I do it in the house touch dry the day after.

I have two coffee tables which always have water glasses/tea mugs placed on them. No rings what so ever.

I have a foam roller kept in a jar 1/4 filled with white spirit. I squeeze it out when needed and put back once I am done and give it a good shake. On the same roller for a over a year now!