Woodworking publications

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some bloak

Established Member
Reaction score
What's everybody reading out there. I subscribe to Fine Woodworking but which other publications are available. I've seen various titles disappear without trace over the last 5 years or so, but there must be others apart from FW?.

I suspect many like me gave up buying them a long while ago when they realised that there was little new in what they published - it got monotonous when you read the twentieth version of the same thing. There's so much info. on line and on YouTube why bother? I get Woodturning - but only because I got the subscription for £13 of Tesco coupons before Xmas.

I gave up on them years ago. Haven't read one in years.
Much of the difficulty people have on this forum is due to nonsense picked up from the mags and modern books.

I'd say your better off subscribing to Taunton online and get lots of old resources too

Some bloak":jobtu6q7 said:
What's everybody reading out there. I subscribe to Fine Woodworking but which other publications are available. I've seen various titles disappear without trace over the last 5 years or so, but there must be others apart from FW?.

The subscription to FW suggests a leaning towards cabinetmaking rather than (for example) home renovation, carving or woodturning. In that case, it may be worth buying a copy or two of Furniture and Cabinetmaking, which the current editor has managed to keep quite up to date with developments in the furniture world for both the amateur and the small-scale professional. There's usually a good mix of articles, but it steers well clear of the 'how to make a bird-box from a pallet' end of woodworking journalism. It also has the advantage for UK readers that the adverts are 'local' rather than North American. All in all, it's about the best of the bunch - I rate it well above FW, which tends rather too much to the 'lifestyle retiree with an aircraft hanger for a workshop' market for my taste.

Thank you for the advice. I totally agree with the opinions expressed here, they do seem to be the same old thing over and over and yes, FW does seem to have a 'boutique' woodworkers sort of feel to it.

I will see if I can get hold of some copies of Furniture and Cabinet Making a see what it has to offer, although I'm starting to think that none of them really have enough about them to justify a regular subscription.

On the other hand, books can be very good value. I buy a lot.
Even the pricy ones;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welsh-Furnitur ... 0955377315
£85 the price of 15 FW mags but about 1000* times the content - and no ads!

* haven't counted the pages but it'd take a lifetime of mags to get as much content, bearing in mind the recycling of much mag content.

Furniture & Cabinetmaking is IMO the best currently available by some distance. Personally, I still enjoy a magazine if the wrtiiting and content are good.

I gave up on FWW years ago for two reasons. First, from a furniture point of view it is completely stuck in the past - I like Arts and Crafts but you can have too much of a good thing and I hate those bloated Pennsylvania Highboys, but that is just my taste. I once posted on a US forum about FWW and US woodworkers being so backward looking and, to my surprise, got no abuse and lots of resigned agreement. More importantly, I became increrasingly disgusted with FWW's irresponsible attitude to the safety of its readers, with the routine inclusion od articles showing the use of unsafe practices in the use of machinery. I wrote to them about this and while they published my letter and said all the right noises in their published response, nothing changed in the magazine, so I did not renew my subscription. This safety issue is also a major problem with Youtube.

Jim

I have a subscription to Woodworking Crafts, I quite like the fact it covers a lot of the woodworking I don't do. Yes it has reprinted articles from its previous incarnation occassionaly but on the whole, I find it to be a good read over a cuppa and I find out the basics of crafts I have no exposure to.

Latest posts

Back