Woodworking on hold for a while: Don't open before a meal.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Bray

Established Member
Reaction score
Arrived home yesterday after having a total knee replacement on Thursday Morning. Have to work up to full movement again so no woodworking for a while. Might try to arrange some hand-tool dovetail time in the dining room during this period.

A selfie with a difference! :shock:

So not keyhole surgery then........

Best of luck with the recovery and a quick return to getting back to the workshop.

Good luck with that mate, seriously looks sore.
Why can't I see any stitches or staples ?

Ouch! My best friend's wife had that done last year. She was one massive bruise from top to bottom. One year on and she is skipping about like a youngster again....well almost as she is booked in this year for the other one. she can even get on the back of his bike again now and has been enjoying the summer with us both. :wink:

All the best with that mr bray, my mate had it done, took quite a while, but is fit as a fiddle now.
Neither his dog, nor I, can keep up with him!
Regards Rodders

Thanks all for the sentiments.

No staples involved, just dissolvable stitches which should be gone after 12 days.

My problem is that, I had it done under one NHS Trust, but live under another so the passing of information hasn't been as smooth as it could be.

Today was the first day at home and the pain level has increased significantly, the meds they gave me for pain relief to take home were not the same as those that I was having in hospital, fortunately I have just had delivery of the missing meds which were now prescribed by my own Doctor so should soon feel more pain relief.

I also need the other knee done too, unfortunately many years of super obesity (topped out at 30st 7lbs) has completely shot my cartilages, as I am now under 18st they have finally agreed to get them done. I was lucky that I met the NICE guidelines as they don't like doing them on the NHS for people under 65 unless they really have to. As I had tried everything else including 5 years of cortisone injections into the knees and even they were only providing a few days relief afterwards they had no other option really.

So a bit of a bad/good story, I have to say the care I received from the Torbay & South Devon Trust was outstanding and am very pleased I went East instead of West to have it done. The reputation of the Cornwall NHS Trust is not so rosy.

Been there done that with both knees although at different times, fun isnt it. :)

I was going to say good luck with the recovery but it is down to hard work to get the knee working again so do the exercises even when you dont want to because the knee hurts.

I will say it anyway good luck.

john

I wish you a speedy recovery Ed, get well soon.

If it's not too late, and if it does apply in UK, you may find the following re hospital paperwork useful:

Back in 2002 I had a back op. Last year I had another, and naturally enough, the surgeon for the 2014 op wanted the paperwork from the 2002 op before starting out on me this time. Even though it was the same hospital in each case, we found out that all my 2002 paperwork had gone missing (probably destroyed, being more than 10 years old).

So this time, and very much on a just in case basis, I insisted on getting a copy of EVERY piece of paper in my own hands. Here (Switzerland) it is your right as you are the patient (I guess it's the same in UK?), but even so, and probably because they're Swiss medics, they often came over a bit stuffy when I asked often said stuff like "Don't worry, we'll send the stuff to your Dr/your GP/the Rehab place/whatever". I even had to push more than once in a couple of cases. Never mind, I very tactfully and politely insisted that I get a copy of everything myself (as above, it's my right) and now I'm coming to the end of the whole process I now have a complete folder with copies of everything, stored in a safe place.

The medics also pointed out that, unlike my 2002 op where everything was hard copies, these days it's all stored electronically, so "It'll all still be here in 100 years time". To which I, still politely, replied "Or accidentally deleted in about 2 nanoseconds".

Seriously, I find the medical profession everywhere does tend to treat all patients as if they're mental defectives (OK, probably with more than a little justification in my case!), so if it's not to late, and if you have the energy and mobility, it could be well worth your while chasing up all your papers and making up your own file.

FWIW and HTH.

Krgds
AES

Back