Woodworking In America - A Report

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Woodworking In America Conference, 2008

HI Folks
I had the honour of being invited to the above conference in Berea, Kentucky. It was a “hand tools only” event which featured the top toolmakers from around the world (plus myself). It also featured training sessions on various skills (sharpening, planing, etc) as well as Q+A sessions with tool manufacturers on different aspects of tool design and use. This was the first of this kind of event held in the US, and it sold out almost immediately to 300 lucky attendees.
The list of woodworking celebrities was long – here’s a quick attempt and in no particular order (apologies to any I’ve missed)
• Mike Dunbar
• Rob Lee
• Roy Underhill
• Tom Lie-Nielsen
• Frank Klaus
• Michel Auriou
• Larry Clark and Don McConnell
• Jim Leamy
• Dave Jeske
• Kevin Drake
• Mike Wenzloff
• Konrad Sauer
• Chris Schwarz
• John Economaki
• Adam Cherubini
• Ron Hock
• Gary Blum
• Ron Brese
• Bob
• Chris Vesper
• Joel Moskovich
• Clarence Blanchard
• Don Weber
There was a real buzz in the air on the first day as the eager attendees turned up early to get started. The second day we actually came to open up early as so many people turned up early to get in – a decision that hung-over exhibitors were overjoyed about ;) But it was an extremely enjoyable event – I never saw anyone who wasn’t wearing a silly grin throughout the whole three days of the event.
New Tools – Lee Valley had an interesting new dovetail saw on display featuring a very modern design. It feels very comfortable to use and I have one with me to play with – review ASAP. I also had a sneak preview of an exciting new plane from Veritas. I have been sworn to secrecy but can tell you this – it is breathtakingly pretty and I want one!!!!
Lie-Nielsen were also showing some new products – tongue and groove planes, a panel saw, hammers, corner chisels. I could never get close enough to take a picture but these lines should be available before Xmas.
So – some photo’s to give you a taste. I could of sworn I took 10 times as many photo’s as I did…….
don.jpg

Don Weber, bodger and fellow Welshman was there doing his thing. A real character, as well as talented craftsman and teacher.
cw1.jpg

The Clark and Williams stall. Larry and Don were the highlight of the show for me - they were gracious enough to spend ages answering my questions and I was relieved they didn't give me a good kicking for making planes with brass soles :wink:
holt.jpg

Rob Lee's personal Holtey #982. He has had brass washers fitted to his so the novel attachment method becomes visible to the eye. There was a small selection of Holtey planes on display brought along by a keen customer!
ellis.jpg

Ellis Wallentine, owner of Woodcentral Forum
ron%20and%20bob.jpg

Ron Brese (planemaker) and Bob Zajicek (Czeck Edge Tools) were there displaying there wares, as well as looking out for me. Their generous spirit was overwhelming.
kon.jpg

Konrad Sauer was there (on the bench next to mine, again!) displaying his wonderful infill planes.
mike,%20rob%20and%20ed.jpg

Mike Wenzloff, Robin Lee and Ed Paik (new sawmaker Medallion Tools) chat about saw stuff.
deneb.jpg

Deneb Puchalski, Lie-Nielsen demonstrator caught in a weak moment lusting (possibly :wink: ) over a Philly Planes Skew Miter.
gary.jpg

Gary Blum with his innovative wooden planes.
wally.jpg

Wally Wilson of Veritas - he was eating a doughnut and drinking coffee until a millisecond before I took this photo. He, as well as the rest of the Veritas crew, was extremely helpful and friendly. These guys really know their stuff, and love what they do!
beading.jpg

New Beading tool from Veritas.
dovetail%20saw.jpg

Innovative new dovetail saw from Veritas - I have one to put through its paces, so expect a review soon.
michel%20and%20mike.jpg

Michel Auriou and Mike Wenzloff - two guys who need no introductions!
jim.jpg

Jim Leamy and a selection of his amazing plow planes.
spruce1.jpg

Blue Spruce were showing some new, improved bench chisels. They were very droolworthy, and much heavier duty then the existing ones.
dave%20j.jpg

And the man himself, Dave Jeske.
john%20and%20louis.jpg

John Hoffman (of Lost Arts Press) and Louis Bois, who does the beautiful illustrations for Pop wood and Woodworking magazines. These guys were a blast! 'Til the next one!
work1.jpg

work2.jpg

The College has its own workshops where they produce their own furniture items. This was used as the locations for the hands on training classes, and featured some tasty machinery, as well as some great heating!
boone1.jpg

Boone Tavern, an historic building opposite the main hall where a reception was held each night.

snow.jpg

Snow! All week the weather reports promised snow - and as we left the hotel down it came!
chris%20and%20steve.jpg

Chris Schwarz and Stephen Shaunnesy at the final evenings meet. The speech given by Roy Underhill was hilarious and was the icing on the cake :lol:

One of the highlights of the show for me was the openness of all the exhibitors to talk and share - I spent way too much time chatting with Lee Valley crew (these guys know they have the best job in the world and it really shows!), Ron Brese, Bob K, Ron Hock, Adam Cherubini, Jim Leamy and, for me the highlight, Larry Williams and Don McConnell of Clark and Williams fame. As a wooden planemaker, to spend hours talking to these two extremely knowledgable, skilled and passionate men was worth the cost of making the trip – I was in plane heaven!
Chris Schwarz was seen hovering over the proceedings and was working incredibly hard to ensure the show was a success. I heard him say he had only 12 hours sleep over the three days, and I can believe it. Thanks for all your hard work Chris – it certainly was worth it and you should be proud.
John Hoffman of Lost Arts Press was often close by to ensure I had a beer in my hand and knew where the nearest Mexican restaurant was located – cheers John, look forward to the next time!
I also met a fair few of the Woodworking bloggers throughout the show like Matt (Matts Basement), Kari (Village Carpenter) and Mitch (furnitude). I fear there may be a few embarrassing photo’s hitting the web soon………
Finally, I would like to thank the Popular Woodworking crew for putting on such an excellent event and to all the staff and attendees for their warm, enthusiastic welcome – it was truly a pleasure.
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly - looks like you had a really memorable trip. Did Kari give you any grief?... :-k I wonder who put her up to that :lol: :lol: ? The idea of this sort of event in the UK is very appealing, we had something like it at West Dean earlier in the year but I reckon the idea could be expanded to something along the lines of the event in the US - Rob

Rob - It was amazing! My head is still spinning, and I keep remembering people I met and haven't mentioned. But yes, awesome.
Kari was a lot of fun - in fact, all the Bloggers were great and we had a whale of a time. Kari took some comedy video footage - I hope she will go gently on me :lol:
Mike Hancock tells me the West Dean event next year will be even bigger and better. He is also arranging another major hand tool event at another location - Stay tuned for more news!
Cheers

Looks incredible Phil. I am green with envy!

Lets hope this inspires the already excellent UK events onto greater heights.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks for the report and photos Phil. Glad you had a great time.

How were YOUR planes received by the other delegates? Hopefully, there was a lot of interest. Did attending the conference help you to make inroads into the US market?

By the way, the latest additions to your range look fantastic!

Les

it's taken me nearly and hour to read that because I am baby sitting and have a 1yr old climbing all over me. It really drew out the pain of seeing all those pictures ONE BY ONE. :shock:

I do like those new BS Chisels!

I'm so glad you had a good time and extremely jealous. I can't wait for West Dean.

+1 on the envy :) And it's good that you were there representing British galootdom (I haven't seen any other mention of Brit attendance).

It certainly looks like an amazing event. And how fantastic for us all that so many handtool makers - and events - are available to us now. If only there were more hours in the day!

Looks like you had a great time, certainly looks great from the photo's. The first one does look like Dick Van Dyke though :)

Gents
My planes were very well received - the response was very positive and I had a whole lot of feedback to help me as slowly move down the planemaking path. Sold a bunch of planes while I was there and had orders waiting in my inbox on the return. So, yes, it was worth my while. And I DID have a fantastic time :lol:
I was the only Brit on display (although Mike Hancock was there promoting Auriou Tools) which was nice. They didn't hold it against me - although Roy Underhill made some hilarious "jokes" about the English in his speech at the closing evening. I was stood against the wall of the main hall as the place was packed, and every time he made a jibe a dozen people would look round at me, smile to make sure I wasn't too insulted then look away - very funny :lol:

Again, for me the greatest pleasure was meeting and chatting to people. There were so many woodworkers I have "seen" on forums or know from emails, and so many "stars" that you see in woodworking magazines and dvd's, all of whom were happy and eager to talk. Wonderful stuff :D
Cheers

Ditto to all the previous comments and it's great to see a Brit doing so well, keep up the good work Phil :wink:

Philly - A great report on what was clearly a fabulous event, yes I am even more envious now than before, I doubt I'll ever get to cross the pond but reading about all these well known names is fascinating for me, and most important is that it gave you a well deserved bit of publicity and a few more orders. One day (soon I hope) my skill level will be up to ordering something from you too.

Very intrigued by your reference to Don Weber as 'fellow Welshman' does that imply some Welsh heritige in the Philly familly :?:

Well done, Philly. Looks like you pulled off a worthwhile sales trip there. That's apart from having a blast as well.
Excellent stuff!

SF

Back