Woodwork podcasts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting link. Any thoughts on how to get these to play on a Sony MP3/4 player. Apparently you need to convert them.

Well I've had a look at 6 or 7 and the presenters are a bit lacking in consumate skill. I suppose anyone can make a podcast nowadays but it would be nice to see some real experts. Maybe I'll find them when I dig further.

Well over the last few months I have been immersing myself in Woodwork podcasts, awaiting the better weather.

Through iTunes, I'm afraid, I have so far watched:

FineWoodworking.com - Quicktime Movie & MPEG-4
Hand Tools & Techniques (The Logan Cabinet Shoppe) - MPEG-4
The iWoodwork podcast - MPEG-4
Matt's basement workshop - MPEG-4
Popular Woodworking videos - MPEG-4
The Renaissance Woodworker - MPEG-4
Stu's Shed - MPEG-4
The Wood Whisperer - MPEG-4
Wood Workers Resource - MPEG-4
Woodworking Online - MPEG-4
Woodworking with Thomas J. MacDonald & Friends - MPEG-4

Modernist":2s4zqoeq said:
Well I've had a look at 6 or 7 and the presenters are a bit lacking in consumate skill. I suppose anyone can make a podcast nowadays but it would be nice to see some real experts. Maybe I'll find them when I dig further.

I agree. Which is why I've not gone down that road. I do have an idea for a brilliant, original video podcast. But the logistics are preventing me from doing atm.

Even Matt's Basement Workshop which is massively popular with a stellar list of sponsors, is far from polished. I don't have any confidence in his woodworking advice and tuition. Sometimes I think I just watch it to spot the blunders ;)

iWoodworking hasn't impressed me thus far. TBH the only good one is TheWoodwhisperer. FWW & PW can be good also.

I'm surprised more professional woodworkers haven't taken up on it. If Marc Spagnuolo can blog full time as his profession, I'm sure others can easily supplement their income doing it.

I wouldn't knock FWW - there is some great stuff on there, it's some of the amateurs who seem to have very little experience of what they are doing.

Take the renaissance woodworker for example; basic measurement errors, no knowledge how to perform, a ploughed groove (backwards from the far end I mean :roll: ) Nice LN 48 though. Production is similar, you don't have to Steven Spielberg to know to turn the camera off while moving it around.

Plenty of toolyism for Jacob to get his teeth into. Even I would baulk at a second LN tongue and groove plane to handle 1/2" boards and a Blue Spruce paring chisel to clean off the fraze :roll: :roll: :roll:

Modernist":w36ju0h5 said:
... Take the renaissance woodworker for example; basic measurement errors, no knowledge how to perform ...

Nice dog though. :)

I enjoyed watching his series on the Roubo workbench.

Modernist":3hdj5ti9 said:
Take the renaissance woodworker for example

He seemed to be making very heavy work of using that LN tongue and groove plane. If he'd taken lighter cuts he would have found using it far easier and probably quicker. I tried one out at West Dean last year - they work really well. And if he'd put some extra rows of dog holes in his fancy work bench, he could have supported the board at each side and stopped it wobbling about, like this

Competition19.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2bsxqj4l said:
He seemed to be making very heavy work of using that LN tongue and groove plane. If he'd taken lighter cuts he would have found using it far easier and probably quicker. I tried one out at West Dean last year - they work really well. And if he'd put some extra rows of dog holes in his fancy work bench, he could have supported the board at each side and stopped it wobbling about, like this

Paul

They must be cringing in Maine :lol: . The plane seemed to be locating on the work really well and it should have been a really easy and satisfying operation. He could have better held boards of that size in the vice if only it had been capable of gripping. That was also a problem whilst trying to rip the thicker boards down. I don't think a bowsaw would be everyone's first choice of tool for that job.

I don't mean to be condescending, all woodwork is good, but if these are promoted as instructional then there are going to be a lot of disappointed and badly trained woodworkers.

I recently highlighted a article in a book where the writer was suggesting that you could offer small pieces of timber up to a biscuit jointer, held in the vice, to create grooves. I trust his fingers are no longer capable of writing any more of such dangerous and misleading rubbish.

Hmm, the ease of producing video footage and uploading it to the net is a worry in a way as there is no vetting system for bad advice. As a novice 15 years ago the internet was far less developed and consequently most of the advice I got was from books, which have at least had some sort of sanity check before they get into print.

The ability of anyone to espouse their unchecked views online is both the greatest benefit and the greatest weakness of the net.

Ed

I think the ability to upload videos is fantastic. It's another matter if you're promoting it as 'the' way to do things but so long as you only say it is one way to achieve the result (and allow discussion on why/why not) then it's good imo.

wizer":2adlzm2k said:
I agree. Which is why I've not gone down that road. I do have an idea for a brilliant, original video podcast. But the logistics are preventing me from doing atm.

...Oh, you must mean things like using a table saw with the crown guard and riving knife in place!! :D

wizer":2adlzm2k said:
I'm surprised more professional woodworkers haven't taken up on it. If Marc Spagnuolo can blog full time as his profession, I'm sure others can easily supplement their income doing it.

Seriously, how does Marc make a living like this?!

From what I can tell, he gets money through advertisements/sponsorships/endorsements (Rocker, Eagle Woodworking, etc.), merchandise and anyone who joins his Guild.

He still seems to teach from time to time and I can't imagine he's not still making furniture for clients 'on the side' - otherwise, how can he be surviving?

Woodworking is huge in America where as, over here, we have a much smaller following. If any British woodworker was to make any success of this, they'd have to attract the US audience some how. There's already an awful lot of established competition and the Yanks will always have access to (sometimes bigger and better) tools that will never see the light of day over here.

Modernist":2vorjzql said:
... I don't mean to be condescending, all woodwork is good, but if these are promoted as instructional then there are going to be a lot of disappointed and badly trained woodworkers...

Ah well there you have it.

I found his, and other, podcasts through iTunes, looked up woodwork video and there he was, amongst others.

Whereas it wasn't until I specifically Googled for a UK Woodwork Forum that I stumbled across this place.

Most of these videos are by indiviuals, some amateur, some professional (making money).

Here we have a cross-section of people with considerably more combined experience where, if people have a question, we can have a two way discussion rather than watching one person doing it their way.

Podcasts are good but ... it's better to be able to talk to other real (I assume) people.

Olly you'll be surprised. I certainly don't think he's done any teaching in the past couple of years. He tends to blog, FB or Twitter pretty much everything he does and there's been no mention of that. I know he has done some jobs like restoring some chairs, but I doubt this is the lions share of his income. More like pocket money. AFAIK the advertising and sponsorship is his income. Nicole works, so obviously it's not their only household income. But they have two mortgages and don't seem to be struggling. Clearly America is a much bigger market. These types of full time bloggers exist all over the US in all sorts of genres. You could not earn a proper income on it over here. But you sure could supplement an income, if your were a pro woodworker.

How many members are on this forum? How many magazine subscribers are there in the UK? How many of those people would watch or read interesting, well made internet content?

Maybe we should make some really good ones, attract sponsorship and drink the proceeds on an annual UKW party :D :D

Trouble is, knowing how long it takes just to document your work with photographs and then write about it, I can only imagine that producing a half-decent videos consumes even more of your time - you spend all-day filming, shooting the same scenes several times, and then you'll lose your evenings sat at the computer editing what you have recorded. This is why we're fortunate in that Steve Maskery has been able to produce a series of DVDs, because he knows he'll never make any money from it.

If we could do something collectively or as a forum, I think that's a great idea. But, we're bordering on the 'UKW Magazine' idea again, where it may be better just to get behind Nick and BW instead of competing against him.

It is something I would love to have a go at personally; I'm just not set up for it at the moment and I find that maintaining a simple blog eats up enough of my time as it is... :?

I suppose I can claim to have some knowledge of what's involved...!

It is, indeed, very time consuming if you do it the way I do, i.e. with lots of scene changes and closeups etc. If you are just filming a lecture, which is very well-suited to the way David Charlesworth works, for example, the editing is much simplified, as the scenes are much longer.

But if someone is going to do this for a living, they must attract HUGE sponsorship to pay for it. When I started, Festool, Woodford and JSP all supported me with stuff for the workshop. But I couldn't find anyone who would actually sponsor me financially. The costs, even on a shoestring like mine, are not trivial. In 4 years my sales have covered roughly half what I have actually spent and a quarter of that has been in the last three months, since launching WE 4 & 5.

I know the US is a bigger market but I bet it's not easy even there. Marc Spag seems to be succeeding, and very good luck to him. If I make another, it will not cost very much, as I already have the kit, but the first two were a different matter. I do it because I enjoy it and have the time to do it properly and if I thought I could make a living at it, I probably would. But anyone considering starting to podcast needs to be prepared to fund it for a very long time, I reckon, and be prepared never to get their money back, let alone make a profit.

Sorry to sound so negative, but that's the way I see it.

S

Don't worry, Steve, that's pretty much the way I assumed it is/would be anyway. :)

If we were to start doing podcasts as a forum (or for BW), I only imagine it might help to have one person making and filming who could then send the files on to another member who's 'savvy' in the world of video editing... There's still the issue of financial support but I think there's some mileage in having several people working co-operatively. You could even have a variety of 'presenters'.

I don't think it would actually be that hard to break in to the US market - you've just got to have the right content. I imagine word would travel fast with all the other established podcasters and their thousands of followers. Axminster and one other UK tool retailer I know of (is it Toolstop?) have their own tool review/product demonstration videos on YouTube. If you're looking for a certain tool or machine, they might get some attention but, not from across the pond. People really want to see the how-tos of making fine furniture.

nanscombe":2m1r46dz said:
Well over the last few months I have been immersing myself in Woodwork podcasts, awaiting the better weather.

Through iTunes, I'm afraid, I have so far watched:

FineWoodworking.com - Quicktime Movie & MPEG-4
Hand Tools & Techniques (The Logan Cabinet Shoppe) - MPEG-4
The iWoodwork podcast - MPEG-4
Matt's basement workshop - MPEG-4
Popular Woodworking videos - MPEG-4
The Renaissance Woodworker - MPEG-4
Stu's Shed - MPEG-4
The Wood Whisperer - MPEG-4
Wood Workers Resource - MPEG-4
Woodworking Online - MPEG-4
Woodworking with Thomas J. MacDonald & Friends - MPEG-4

That 207 guy (Thomas Macdonald) is funny to watch :)

Latest posts

Back