New Woodworking Job (Career Change) Advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brdy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wont explain the boring bits of why etc ill just get stuck into it.

I have been offered a job (for which I applied) for a Production Operative within a woodworking workshop, making coffins.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience working within a woodworking production line business. There are 11 stations in total which everyone rotates.

It will be my first job within woodworking, for anyone who has had a similar role, is it monotonous work or is it bearable? Will it set me up for future non production line woodworking jobs and get my 'foot in the door' (i.e. furniture making) or is this considered more of a production line kind of role so will only be considered for similar roles in the future.

I am struggling to explain the exact process/job so if you need to know more info then please ask away.

Thanks.

To me it sounds like a narrow field of work as you are only making one type of product, but it is a step on the ladder so must be worth a go.

Colin

Can't say that I'm up to speed on coffin manufacture - aren't they all made from sheet materials these days? It should provide a good glimpse into the discipline and tedium of industrial production though. And there's tedium even in making one-offs. But there in a way the environment will provide the discipline, whereas if you thought of going solo then you'd have to impose it on yourself. And when you have overheads, especially if they're loaded onto your time alone, you must be able to work quickly within the remit of the type of work you do. There is a certain business discipline too apart from that of making, that also comes to bear. Dreams don't pay the rent.

I'd say plunge in with the coffins, and give it what you've got to give. It'll be a learner of some kind, and provide an income at the same time. Go for it!

Could be a dead end job
Seriously I think it will be very monotonous with very little skill development
We had similar sort of jobs fitting out modular housing but skill development was very limited
What sort of work do you do now?
I was once advised by a friend who made a career out of his hobby that you can end up losing the enjoyment

Us it to learn as much as you can, ask questions in your breaks and show initiative to expand your role. Always more stuff to learn in many business than just the role you are doing.

Can't say that I'm up to speed on coffin manufacture - aren't they all made from sheet materials these days? It should provide a good glimpse into the discipline and tedium of industrial production though. And there's tedium even in making one-offs. But there in a way the environment will provide the discipline, whereas if you thought of going solo then you'd have to impose it on yourself. And when you have overheads, especially if they're loaded onto your time alone, you must be able to work quickly within the remit of the type of work you do. There is a certain business discipline too apart from that of making, that also comes to bear. Dreams don't pay the rent.

I'd say plunge in with the coffins, and give it what you've got to give. It'll be a learner of some kind, and provide an income at the same time. Go for it!
I believe they are made from veneered chipboard, although they also offer Elm and Oak, i doubt the make too many of those.

Its more of a career change due to no longer enjoying my current job, I have always gone for the first job available or the highest paying as apposed to doing something I would genuinely enjoy, which I'm hoping to step into with this role.

What are the risks; do you need to quit an existing job to give it a go?

martin
Unfortunately not, I would be going from a 50 hour week to a 40 hour week, which is a much nicer work life balance. There is a big pay cut involved, but still survivable providing cost of living doesn't sky rocket again.

Thank you both.

Could be a dead end job
Seriously I think it will be very monotonous with very little skill development
We had similar sort of jobs fitting out modular housing but skill development was very limited
What sort of work do you do now?
I was once advised by a friend who made a career out of his hobby that you can end up losing the enjoyment
Haha.

I can completely understand that, I will definitely bare it in mind.

Currently I work for a ground working company.

Us it to learn as much as you can, ask questions in your breaks and show initiative to expand your role. Always more stuff to learn in many business than just the role you are doing.
I have always been one to ask and learn as much as I can, I would definitely do the same here.

I sympathise with your position as it isn't a million miles away from mine. I also asked on this forum for a little advice.
I wasn't clear if you were needing to quit a job or not? It sounds like you are and if that's the case then it's more complex but if you can survive then my advice is go for it. I am currently living above my means so a slightly riskier situation but if you can take a cut and give things a go I think you should.
Be prepared to try something else if that doesn't work out so you don't get stuck in a rut (easy to do)

Marti

I sympathise with your position as it isn't a million miles away from mine. I also asked on this forum for a little advice.
I wasn't clear if you were needing to quit a job or not? It sounds like you are and if that's the case then it's more complex but if you can survive then my advice is go for it. I am currently living above my means so a slightly riskier situation but if you can take a cut and give things a go I think you should.
Be prepared to try something else if that doesn't work out so you don't get stuck in a rut (easy to do)

Marti
I appreciate that advice, you are the kind of person I was searching for advice from this thread.

May I ask have you changed jobs or in the process of?

Yes I have changed jobs recently. Sort of :)
Might be easier to read my post if you want the details: Link
I wouldn't take any advice from me though, I'm still figuring things out, life is allover the place at the moment and I'm waiting for that moment of clarity.
Martin

Last edited:
If your keen, I think getting in with a smallish woodworking firm is the way to go...

I can think of several up here in Yorkshire here who take on those who really want to learn.

I can't say I've worked in a woodwork manufacture environment but you should know if it's for you or not, is it really worth the paycut? you are in a very privileged position to be able to choose like this.

After youve read this post, do the following: look up local joinery shops and carpentry firms, ring around and ask if there are any jobs going. Be proactive

Now, you'll have to be quick because you have a job offer..... you might end up wanting to take that, but if you are reasonably switched on, you'll probably be bored within a couple of weeks, its going to be repetitive work, which is why they switch stations.

You probably wont learn a lot.
If you got a job in joinery or site carpentry, you'll learn tons more.
Where i am, theres no end of work ( at the moment ) for carpenters

My advice would be to take a year to learn the job. There will be knowledge to gain in sizing timber, jointing techniques, wood finishing and fixtures and fittings. If, after a year, you feel that you need to move on you will have acquired transferable skills.

My first job after leaving school was in a place that made wooden fish boxes. It was also a sawmill. Logs in one door and boxes out the other end. It was never boring as there were so many steps to the process and I quite liked it. On the nailing machines it was like a competition with all us young blokes trying to out do each other. My parents saw it as a career limiting direction however so persuaded me back into education. Perhaps that was for my own good as nearly all the sawyers in there were missing a few fingers.
As to advice I would say if you would like to give it a go then jump in. Better to be doing something you like than putting up with something you don't like. Done both over the years and life is too short to do much of the latter.
Regards
John

I’ve recently changed jobs (same industry though) but it’s a much better job and has done wonders for my mental health, sleep, available free time.

Go for it - you can quit any time if you don’t like it!

Back