woodwork on the telly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Might be off topic but...

Are there any woodwork programs on the telly at the mo? I'm round at my mum's and she's just got NTL digital. I've had a quick look through the discovery channels but not seen anything. Is Norm still about?

Any pointers would help bore the rest of the family to bits for the evening.

Cheers,

Dave

Theres nowt on the free to air channels Beeb 1, 2 itv, ch4 ch5, them's all I have access to, can't speak for any others.
Mike

Just gone back to NTL myself after a gap of a couple of years. Found Norm on one of the Discovery channels at 5.30am & 6.30am weekdays!!!

don't know if you can get Discovery Real Time Extra on NTL but every Tuesday they show repeats of NYW from 10am till 3pm then repeat the repeats again at 6pm till 11 pm

Nigel

Of course he's over-rated, Senior!

He's got no great personality, his designs are uninspired, he would rather spend an hour (which of course, we don't see) installing dado cutters on his table saw than picking up a tenon saw for a simple cut, and he insists on dousing everything in gloss polyuerethene varnish!

However, it was watching Norm that inspired me to get back into hands-on cabinetmaking after 20 years and to equip a workshop just like his; and for that I love him!

One of the things that makes NYW a success, I believe, is the way that the program is filmed. The camera is held steady, any zooming is slow and direct and the camera is aimed at the actual work not the presenter's face. You can actually see what is going on without silly music.

This Old House is filmed in a similar professional manner.

Compare that with most of the British made woodwork and DIY programs. The camera man has usually got ants in his pants, jumping up and down, zooming in and out quickly and panning all over the place. It makes you dizzy trying to watch some of the stuff they show. They also play load music while doing this, all of which is totally unnecessary. When the camera does stand still for more than a few seconds the presenter will often be discussing what he is doing and instead of showing us the project in hand we are left looking at the presenter's face.

In my opinion Norm is far from over rated, he and his program are an inspiration to thousands. You only have to read forums like this one to realise how many people he has influenced.

Three cheers for Norm and his New Yankee Workshop

Anyway that's my opinion

Brian

Big Dunk":iqxocfoa said:
...spend an hour (which of course, we don't see) installing dado cutters on his table saw ...

Nonsense! It usually takes me less than two minutes for widths I am accustomed to and the longest it has ever taken me is about twenty minutes to tweak a specified width (when I first bought my d--- set.) Ok, d--- rant over.

Brad

Norm has provided inspiration to thousands. Yes he mainly uses machinery for his projects but he has declared that this is the very purpose of the show. I admire all craftsman of hand tools, of which I am not one, but I'm sure that all the historic furniture makers used those tools that they could obtain, and if they were still around would use some of the modern day technology as well.

Hey I have to agree, I am a Norm fan. If it wasn't for power tools and machinery I wouldn't be woodworking at all. I am too lazy and too impatient to use hand tools. He does have his faults of course but has started many a woodworker on the slippery slope. :)

my only problem with norm is his work methods are very very repetitive. he never alters his metods....ever. but sometimes his program is absolutely perfect. for instance the plant stand is great for the way he cuts the rounded ends using a jig. the router table episodes are superb.

Sorry Brad,

I know how protective you colonials can get over your dado cutters! :wink:

I was of course exaggerating, but I think the point remains valid.

Dunk

Big Dunk":3q2zi3fg said:
Sorry Brad,

I know how protective you colonials can get over your dado cutters! :wink:

I was of course exaggerating, but I think the point remains valid.

Dunk

Not so much protective. But I keep hearing the anti-points over and over from folks who don't use them and they just don't stack up to the reality of how they are used in real life. :roll:

Brad

I use dado cutters all the time - couldn't be without them.

However, I use them in an old, unbraked Wadkin RAS set to a constant 20mm which I use for pretty well everything including tenons

And before anyone asks... My insurance company and HSE are happy with the set-up.

brianhabby.

Well said; the camera work on the UK shows is appalling, usually means that the show has no director and the operator/director/DoP are one and the same with delusions of artiness!
I see it a lot on pop promos and cheap commercials; does my head in when I have to keep playing it back all day and then trying to edit it!

The NYW stuff is, as you say, well scripted and well shot; conveying the content well and clearly. I believe the budget is around $100k per episode which is reasonable, perhaps even very slightly generous.

I enjoy it a lot and it has certainly cost me money... :lol:
Regards
martin

Back