Woodturning Blanks suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatlander

Established Member
Reaction score
Returning to the forum after a long absence with a question.

I've not done any woodturning for quite a while now, but do have a couple of projects lined up. Hence this question.

Back when I was turning, I used to get my blanks from Craft Supplies in Derbyshire. Being unable to find their website any more, I'm under the impression that they have ceased trading.

Who would be the "go to" companies for exotic blanks and burrs that are willing to export to an EU country? Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

TIA

Yes craft supplies was taken over by turner's retreat there is Snainton Wood working supplies at Snainton near to Scarborough which do mail order but a vist is worth the travel

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll be contacting the ones mentioned, and let you know how things go.

In the meantime, as soon as I can work out how to post photos, I'll put some of my furniture/garden structure projects in the appropriate section.

Unless I want something special I now only harvest my own much cheaper and great fun as well OK I have to wait for it to dry but that is no hardship

Depending on where you are G&S Timber just outside Penrith has a good basic stock. Lots of dowelling in different timber / diameters too.

Website at www.toolsandtimber.co.uk

Echoing what Dalboy says, harvesting your own is very very much less expensive than buying prepared blanks from anywhere. I couldn't believe the price of Ash blanks last time I was in Axy.....blimey....£20 for a 10" bowl blank of about inch and a half!!

Surprised no one has mentioned Yandles who always have a very wide selection of blanks - although if Flatlander = East Anglia it is a long way to Somerset. They do however do packs and will send.

Seasoning and then cutting raw timber is the cheapest way of sourcing blanks - if you have the time to wait! Second option is to buy a seasoned plank and cut the blanks from it - particularly if you meed a number of similar turnings. Already cut is inevitably the most expensive - the supplier has to do the cutting and bears all the costs of storage and wastage.

I do agree as regards harvesting and cutting my own blanks. When it is possible, I do so. However, the two pieces that I am planning to make are rather special, so eurpoean woods will not be at all suitable.

Having said that, I do live outside of the UK, and getting exotic blanks here is virtually impossible. Hence saying "willing to export to another EU country" in my original post.

It does sadden me to say that despite mailing all of the companies mentioned so far, none have deemed to reply. Very poor service!

Flatlander":oxide16j said:
It does sadden me to say that despite mailing all of the companies mentioned so far, none have deemed to reply. Very poor service!

I tend to find that many companies read there e mails first thing in the morning and as mentioned above being a Friday when you first posted then many may not reply untill Monday as any weekend staff they have in are only shop staff and don't work in the office.

I'm hoping it is the case that they need more time. If and when they answer, I'll post and inform everyone. It might just be worth knowing.

First reply received. "We can sell you the wood, but dont have time to help"

What kind of people are these? At least I know that company is not worth dealing with!

Flatlander":58glvyjs said:
First reply received. "We can sell you the wood, but don't have time to help"
What kind of people are these? At least I know that company is not worth dealing with!
I would suggest that every one of the companies sited are 'worth dealing with' - - -

I suspect that you have only given a precis of the answer you got and, more important, you don't tell us the question(s) you asked.

Back