Woodturned Duck !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn.
There has to be so many witty answers for a thread like this and I cannot think of a single one.But people here are so ingenious that I shall follow with interest.

Random Orbital Bob":1v6qfrf6 said:
Right. You cant post a link like that Vic and then not have a go. Pictures please...and lots of 'em :) Just hope you don't "fowl" it up.

(I'll get me coat...again)

=D>

Vic

How about turning a egg shape from 2 pieces of wood with a paper joint but make the thinner end a little more pointed. Split along the joint this flat will be the base. Now turn s ball and attach to the top front thicker end as a head all you need to do is make a beak.
One duck from an egg so to speak
I thought it was a CRACKING idea even though it is a bit SCRAMBLED. I think I had better DUCK the flack after all this

Dalboy":pae5n3zr said:
How about turning a egg shape from 2 pieces of wood with a paper joint but make the thinner end a little more pointed. Split along the joint this flat will be the base. Now turn s ball and attach to the top front thicker end as a head all you need to do is make a beak.
One duck from an egg so to speak
I thought it was a CRACKING idea even though it is a bit SCRAMBLED. I think I had better DUCK the flack after all this

=D> =D> =D>

Well,

To start, these might help:

duck_call_pair.jpg

More seriously, is this an approach?

WER-Ring-Turn-Example.jpg

Simon.

The visiting demonstrator (Paul Jones) turned a duck last Sunday at the Mid Wales Woodturners meeting! It was done using eccentric turning and didn't really look all that duck-like....

Meet Ma,Pa,SonyJim,and aunt Marge, she's called Marge cos she's a stork

Attachments

• phpPAsQKSPM.jpg
    phpPAsQKSPM.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,155
I am booked to do a couple of days turning with Nikos Siragas in Crete this Summer.
I enclose a link to his on-line shop which has a couple of nice ducks. Olive wood does look good in any shape.
http://www.siragas.gr/shop.html

Not sure if this is clickable or if you need to copy it.

Mike

FifeMike":2xacm2g5 said:
I am booked to do a couple of days turning with Nikos Siragas in Crete this Summer.
I enclose a link to his on-line shop which has a couple of nice ducks. Olive wood does look good in any shape.

Mike

Cheers Mike, I like Nikos take on the ducks and I agree with you about the Olive wood

Vic

I can't answer the original question, but I can say when you start something it does not always turn out the way you expect. Twice now I have produced something I wish I hadn't. The first was a little mouse I turned to peek out of a bowl that had a natural hole in it. the second was a dibber (for planting seedlings) I made for lady friend of mine. Both items had an unfortunate likeness to something I would rather not mention :)

FifeMike":in1ibv9a said:

Mike

That is how I would have made it as I described in my post except with a separate beak as they say a picture is worth a thousand words or in my case I would need a million words to describe

looks like a great job for the next ones try a contrasting piece of wood either side of the body which will look like wings (just a suggestion)

Latest posts

Back