Woodstar P/T problems.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a woodstar pt 85 planer thicknesser, but the infeed and outfeed tables don't seem to sit square to each other, one of them seems twisted to the other. Is there a way of adjusting the tables so they are square, before i pack it up and send it back?

Thanks.

Matt.

i am not sure how near this is to the mafell 160 but try the following.
first check that both tables are actually flat and square in themselves.

use a ruler, or a level across both way, independent of each other.
if they are actually flat and level, then do youhave an instruction
book with a dissembly drawing?? :?

onthe mafell, you have to take off the two side covers, and then there are screws under the tables which allow some adjustment. i would have thought yours would have had similar, although i am not completely sure.

hope this helps
paul :wink:

Thanks engineer one.

The tables are flat and level within themselves, it's the infeed table that dips down towards the fence side, so in effect i'd be planing a wedge.

There is an exploded diagram in the instructions, but it's small and not very clear at all.

I've had a tinker with it this afternoon, but still can't get it right. I can get it set up right, but as soon as you lower the table (depth of cut) and put it back up, it has returned to be being off square again. I did notice that when you move the table the fence side seems to judder a little while the oppostite side moves smoothly. I'm thinking that a component somewhere is too tight a fit and causing it.

Think it'll get packed up and swapped for a new one.

Matt.

matt sounds like the sliding part of the table is sticking, and frankly i agree even on a 200 quid item it is no good if you can't plane flat and square.

anyway i would think about the mafell, although more expensive, a better all round machine, more thoughtfully made and designed.

the plastic winder seems incongruous, but as they say at mafell,better to break plastic and not screw up the four metal rods that lift and fall for the
thicknesser.

paul :wink:

I think i'll try another woodstar before looking at other models, as i do like the extra capacity it offers, and to date, i have only heard good things about them.

I have seen mafell stuff before, and know it's of a high quality, so if my new woodstar is the same, then i'll take a look at that one.

Cherrs.
Matt.

Back