Makita thicknesser setup issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim2024

Reaction score
Hi all,

Happy Easter!

New woodworker here, and also new owner of a Makita 2012nb thicknesser.

I've just been unpacking and setting it up but have noticed that the infeed and outfeed tables sit 3mm or so below the height of the main table. My understanding is that these trays should each sit level with the main planing table where they meet, rising slightly towards the outer edges.

There are 4 screws that can be adjusted with the supplied allen wrench, but these only adjust the tilt of the trays, not the height relative to the planing table - as far as I can see there's no way to raise the sub-tables relative to the main table as they are bolted into the main chassis.

Here are some photos showing the issue:

PXL-20240331-140524628.jpg

PXL-20240331-141712210.jpg

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas on how the adjustments can be made? Or should I just return it as faulty?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

I don't have one so took a look at the manuals. Parts manual shows the Philips screw (may be the Japanese version, they are slightly different) left in the picture doesn't do anything more than hold the table. You could try and loosen one a touch and see if the table can be moved up a touch. I think it won't have an effect on the thicknessing as is and is likely within the manufacturing tolerances. You could always call/message their tech support and ask. If they think it is out they will give you a fix or replace it.

Pete

I don't have one so took a look at the manuals. Parts manual shows the Philips screw (may be the Japanese version, they are slightly different) left in the picture doesn't do anything more than hold the table. You could try and loosen one a touch and see if the table can be moved up a touch. I think it won't have an effect on the thicknessing as is and is likely within the manufacturing tolerances. You could always call/message their tech support and ask. If they think it is out they will give you a fix or replace it.

Pete
There's an illustration in the adjustment section of the manual that *may* show the sub-tables sitting slightly below the main platform (the diagram is ambiguous, in my opinion at least) so maybe that's the way it's designed. Just seemed a bit odd to me that the surfaces wouldn't be level.

Good suggestion regarding contacting support though, I'll give that a go and see what they say.

Thanks Pete!

I have this model - If I remember correctly the manual will tell you to use a playing card or two to adjust the tables ( in and out ) using a straight edge. I just followed this and off i went . It didn’t take more than a couple of minutes. The planer gives good results but I made a couple of roller tables for it to assist with longer / heavier timbers ..

Thanks Bingy. If the consensus is that nothing looks obviously out of place then I'll crack on with the adjustments and give it a whirl.

I'll report back in a few days 👍

Thanks Bingy. If the consensus is that nothing looks obviously out of place then I'll crack on with the adjustments and give it a whirl.

I have the same thicknesser. I also thought the plates should be flat and level throughout. Once I ran it the snipe was very much evident where it hadn’t been before.
Carried out the adjustments as per the instructions to get it back where it started out and there was hardly any snipe.
Lesson learned and think it’s a great bit of kit. Saves me loads of many buying rough cut cut stock and milling it myself.

Yes it’s not like the big cast iron machines, I initially thought the same but just went with the manual and I was planing in no time , I’ve sent some large pieces of timber through mine and it does a good job - it’s time consuming but only take of a minimum amount and you should be fine - it’s definitely a good bit of kit . It’s worth checking the blades as well..

Thanks both for your input, it's definitely reassuring to hear! And yep, will give the blades the once over before first use. Am I just checking the securing nuts are tight or should I be on the lookout for anything else?

Thanks both for your input, it's definitely reassuring to hear! And yep, will give the blades the once over before first use. Am I just checking the securing nuts are tight or should I be on the lookout for anything else?
Tight , no major nicks and sharp. All these can and will affect the finish you get . It all comes down to how much it’s been used and what has previously gone through the planer new timber or reclaimed. Even knots can make a mess of the blades so If in doubt replace.

Latest posts

Back