Woodrats on Ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but in my workshop, a "one-function" only jig/template/tool is hard to justify in space and cost.

Adam, I do agree. I bought the Leigh and good as it is, it's really stands out in a production environment, and I'm contemplating getting shot of it 'cos it sits their in it's box 99.999% of the time.

Adam

I don't have any argument with anyone who raves about the Rat. I think it is overpriced and am not prepared to pay what they ask - that does not imply that others should hold the same view as me or that they are wrong in their choices.
Simply that I think it is overpriced (i have received a few pms agreeing with his too)

For what it's worth, I think the Leigh is over priced too but Norm has one and so I had to get one too :lol: :lol: :lol: (it was my first major purchase)

I think the rat is a nice piece of kit.

The Leigh FMT is definitely overpriced IMO, and the Rat, to me, seems to be a good price for what you get.

But that doesn't mean that for Tony it's the right price! Can't see the need for discussion really! If Tony only wants to pay £300 for it, knowing what he does about it and how useful it will be to him, then that's his call.
He doesn't seem to be saying others shouldn't pay the full asking price.

Aragorn":e2va4soo said:
The Leigh FMT is definitely overpriced IMO, and the Rat, to me, seems to be a good price for what you get.

But that doesn't mean that for Tony it's the right price! Can't see the need for discussion really! If Tony only wants to pay £300 for it, knowing what he does about it and how useful it will be to him, then that's his call.
He doesn't seem to be saying others shouldn't pay the full asking price.

Spoil sport. We were just ramping up for a new 10 page thread there as well. :? :roll:

Very valid points. I'll crawl back under a stone now.

Adam

Tony":ahoaic8y said:
(i have received a few pms agreeing with his too)
Cowards! Stand up and be counted! :p :wink:

Tony":ahoaic8y said:
For what it's worth, I think the Leigh is over priced too but Norm has one
(My bold type)
And there, my friends, you have the single biggest handicap to 'Rat World Domination. Until Norm has one, it's not worth the money... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":19qram71 said:
Tony":19qram71 said:
(i have received a few pms agreeing with his too)
Cowards! Stand up and be counted! :p :wink:

Tony":19qram71 said:
For what it's worth, I think the Leigh is over priced too but Norm has one
(My bold type)
And there, my friends, you have the single biggest handicap to 'Rat World Domination. Until Norm has one, it's not worth the money... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

'twas tongue in cheek you know :lol:

Maybe you should email NYW and tell them about the Rat? I'm sure thye bearded one will get a freebie to try out on air :lol:

Tony":3adxsd5s said:
Maybe you should email NYW and tell them about the Rat? I'm sure thye bearded one will get a freebie to try out on air :lol:
Just when he's getting into hand cutting them? Not likely. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I'm sure the seller is one happy bunny! :lol:
Philly :D
(off to the workshop to see what tat he can sell on the 'Bay :wink: )

You really really really get some stupid people bidding on ebay :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The number of secondhand CDs I've been bidding on recently that go for more than they cost on Amazon, sometimes more than they cost in the shops.
What is it with people!?

Aragorn":1th1tjvc said:
You really really really get some stupid people bidding on ebay :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The number of secondhand CDs I've been bidding on recently that go for more than they cost on Amazon, sometimes more than they cost in the shops.
What is it with people!?

Actually, its no different to any other auction, people often pay over the odds for many things - once theirs a bit of "competition" - granted, ebay are really smooth at letting you know you've been outbid, and how many people have placed a bid etc but its no different to many auctions which are hotly contested. Just watch people bidding for a houses - or cars at an auction.

Come to think of it, even selling your house through an estate agent is effectively an auction.

Adam

Aragorn, couldn't agree more

A few years ago my wife and I visited an 'auction' and were amazed. The guy started by selling a few top quality items for silly money. Then he started to sell 'blind' lots and the complete nutters in there were bidding £500+ for a portable TV and stereo they HADN'T SEEN :shock: :shock: :shock:

I reckon the latter lots were worth £150 tops at Argos :shock:

We came out laughing at the stupidity and many people came out looking shocked. I half expected to find the police outside ready to bust what must have been a criminal racket

Some poeple just get carried away with some sort of 'auction fever' :roll:

Magazines are the best way to pick up a woodrat IMHO. Been a few in the various mags over the past few months and nowhere near those prices.

I don't get why anyone does anything else on Ebay other than bid once, at the last second, at the price you are willing to pay. If you don't win, you don't win. One of it's joys is that it is big enough that something similar will be around again, if not tomorrow then the week or month after. Even an only 8000 ever sold in the world 'rat. All you have to do is look at the auctions with many many bids to see that either (a) people don't enter their true highest bids until prompted by a higher bidder, or (b) get carried away if someone is willing to pay more than they were. So don''t give 'em a chance to change their mind and 'make the price stupidly artificial/flash their superior wad'. Snipe it. If I care about the thing, I pay a dollar or two to snipe in the last 3 seconds. If I'm a bit ambiguous and the thing isn't unique, I'll hand-snipe in the last 20/30 secs, or just bid my max in the last 30 or so minutes and walk away.

mahking51":2f4zxsxa said:
Jake
Sorry to be dumb but was does 'snipe it' mean and why does it cost 'a couple of dollars'?
Regards
Martin

An enlightening article on the subject of 'sniping'.

http://www.moyen.org/snipe

Lots of people, who lose ebay auctions at the last second, blame all of their worldly woes on dastardly snipers, instead of their own inability to understand how these auctions work.

I don't know why it 'costs a couple of dollars', unless the reference should say 'couple of dollars more than the last bid'.

batty.

It costs me a dollar or two (depending on the bid amount) because I use a paid for service that will bid 3 seconds before the auction close and is very reliable. The free options I've used have either been unreliable, or have a minimum 10-20 second interval. (I haven't tried them all, no doubt). That gives enough opportunity for an escalating manual bidder to get in another attempt at defining his max bid when he sees he's been outbid. As I say, if I'm not that bothered, I do it manually 10 or 20 secs before auction close (and that is obviously free). There is software that will do it for you as well, but then you need to sync with Ebay time and I can't be bothered.

Back