Woodrat at Ally Pally

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirky

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm just wondering if anyone who went to the Ally Pally show at the weekend, could tell me whether Woodrat actually had any machines for customers to take away with them...or were they only taking orders?

The reason I ask is that my WR has been on order for a while now. They've told me they are experincing some production problems for certain parts (I can't remember which), but they have put the delivery back a couple times.

Thanks.

I didn't see anything that looked like a pile of stock, but I was rather preoccupied with the demonstration at the time. Sorry.
Although come to think of it, there wasn't any mention at any point of "Well, there's a special show price on this model" - so I would guess that they didn't have any.

I was disappointed by the Woodrat stand. The woodrat is probably something I could be persuaded to buy. However, I walked past the stall a good 10-15 times during the day and not once was there an obvious demonstration, rather people asking specific questions. Maybe it was different on Sat and Sun.

I also did not see any stock or prices displayed, so it is probably unlikely they were not selling them onsite.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

However, bit of a sods law this one.... it has arrived today. Hooray!

No doubt I will make a mess of things. Follow my howlers on the woodrat forum.

Cheers
Kirky

WiZeR":u66gro52 said:
However, I walked past the stall a good 10-15 times during the day and not once was there an obvious demonstration, rather people asking specific questions.

You were very lucky. Martin might have designed the WR, but he has no idea how to demonstrate it.

Cheers
Neil

I too have just taken charge of a woodrat, went up to ally pally at the weekend to get me self a new 1/2" router, some woodrat cutters, plungebar and ended up getting a quick release chuck.
Ended up being an expensive day and certainly not as full as previously, you could have had a game of football down the walkways.
When i got the router home and opened up i found i had bought a 110v version, :evil: . Had to travel back up on sunday and get a swap.
I've got my machine mounted, will just have to work through the manual now.
good luck

They're not very good at closing on orders either. I left my details with them so I could get an eliminator chuck (and I have to wonder why they didn't they any on hand), and they were supposed to 'phone me today to get my card number. Not a peep. :roll:

EDIT: b_h, our posts crossed. So they did have some stock with them then. harrumph.

EDIT 2: On the plus side my scraper shave arrived today from Classic HT. On the downside my PC went all blue-screen on me last night, so I've spent most of today re-building it. Harr....

It's a funny old game.

I actually thought the chaps on the woodrat stall were very helpful. They gave me and vormulac a personal demo on the rat and very informative it was to.

During our demo they appeared to sell at least one machine.

I had asked earlier if they had any but said orders only. There was no discount but if I ordered then they would throw in the plungebars for the router.

I was impressed, and whilst I didn't order I am tempted to go on the one day course at their head office in Glastonbury. They offer a 10% discount on all items purchased on the day, which roughly means you get the course for free.

On the long drive home I got to thinking. Could I make a woodrat or something similar? :idea:

The total cost of the rat with the dewalt router is not much short of £1,000 and I fancy some of this could be saved, its not the cash it is the challenge.

I understand the principle and when you actually look at the rat it seems so simple. If you can make a router table why not a rat?

Esc.

Escudo":2fecy46d said:
I understand the principle and when you actually look at the rat it seems so simple. If you can make a router table why not a rat?

Esc.

Off you go then :evil: Make sure we have lots of WIP pictures !

Seriously, I think that we all (myself included) get slightly hung up on "customer service". We expect **instant** response to emails..or phonecalls whatever. True...we should expect this (and more) from large companies. But smaller companies....c'mon...give them a break. They aren't into huge volumes. They don't have zillions of support staff. The company is there..on the stand.. They are enthusiasts...like us.

Newbie_Neil":1bud61un said:
WiZeR":1bud61un said:
However, I walked past the stall a good 10-15 times during the day and not once was there an obvious demonstration, rather people asking specific questions.

You were very lucky. Martin might have designed the WR, but he has no idea how to demonstrate it.

Cheers
Neil

Speaking as I find, I introduced myself to Martin Godfrey and said that although I had heard all about the Rat, I had never seen one in action and didn't really understand what it could do. So he gave me a 30 min 1:1 demo and explanation, with no pressure or hard sell - all very interesting and informative. It made the day worthwhile on its own. It is certainly on my "want" list now.

Perhaps i should just buy one roger? :) , life is short and I have so many other things to do.

I am not so sure about your other comments though.

Woodrat maybe a small firm but they are still in business to make a profit. I thought their representatives on saturday were excellent, very helpful. So much so I should buy one.

However, if I was running that business I would have brought lots of stock to the show to sell. Offered some deals and cashed in. It should be one of the best days of the year for sales for a firm like that. Why turn up with nothing to sell? :? . They had enough notice to plan for the day.

This seems even more relevant to the woodrat because the product sells itself when you see it working rather than looking at pictures in a magazine and wondering what it actually does / how it works.

Shows like Ally Pally are such a good opportunity to make profits (for small firms). It doesn't make sense to me.

Esc.

Fair point, Escudo, and it does tie into others' views of the *sales and marketing* expertise of Woodrat. Been too long out of sales and marketing myself ...but on the other hand, if Martin is happy with his volume of sales.....?? I dunno...too fuzzy headed to think at the moment having had a bit sliced off my tongue and cheek as a biopsy...brandy seems to make things more ...sigh...relaxed.....

Why turn up with nothing to sell? Confused . They had enough notice to plan for the day.

This seems even more relevant to the woodrat because the product sells itself when you see it working rather than looking at pictures in a magazine and wondering what it actually does / how it works.

Shows like Ally Pally are such a good opportunity to make profits (for small firms). It doesn't make sense to me.

If you read my original post I think I said they had some production problems, which is why I hadn't received my order, and why I submitted my original post - I was worried that they had neglected my order in favour of Ally Pally potential sales, but I'm glad to say I was wrong - my woodrat arrived today. :D

I didn't say in my original post, that these production problems were to do with woodrat awaiting parts from one of their suppliers. It wasn't that they didn't have Woodrats to sell or send out, just that they were waiting for a part (which might have been a cam clamp or some such...) which was beyond their control. When I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago, they said they were hoping for an improvement in the particular part but this was causing some production problems.

I think it a little unfair to blame Woodrat for a situation which was obviously not of their own choosing.

Kirky

Woodrat generally have only a small stand at shows iirc - not much room to hold stock. As for marketing, show deals etc, it's never really been their strong suite... F'rinstance I didn't even know they're selling the Eliminator chuck now, but I'm on their email list. ](*,)

As for building one goes, someone on UK Woodworking (RIP) did just that - and ended up buying the real thing. 'Nuff said. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I should probably clarify that i didn't actually get the chuck i ordered at the show, it was put on order. The guy said the stock they were expecting didn't arrive in time to be taken to the show, i think he said they were coming from america.
I rang them this morning and it's being sent.
Been having a play this morning, have a day off from college, making finger joints. It's going to take a while to work through the manual and get confident with everything.
should be fun though

DSC00694.jpg

very nice hyper, you lucky devil.

I am just going to have to get one of those. :)

I can see that the dewalt 625 seems to be the router of choice for the rat.

Pity it is yellow, horrid colour - shows the dirt so easily.

Esc.

Back