Woodhaven2 heads up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
For any readers who also take a look at the woodhaven2. The site will be unavailable from 9 am BST Friday 5th April for essential maintenance.
A much improved version should be back on line later that day running on the latest software. Login details will remain the same as you currently use.

Oh dear. An improved version you say? My experiences with "upgrades" is they make the experience worse.

Fantastic new software improvements that decide that you are a fool and they will set out your post the way the programme thinks it should look...

I walked away from the Canadian forum for about 6 months, after one "upgrade" became impossible to work with. It took them weeks and weeks to sort the bugs.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes fine - but experience says otherwise...

Cheers, Vann.

Oh dear. An improved version you say? My experiences with "upgrades" is they make the experience worse.

Fantastic new software improvements that decide that you are a fool and they will set out your post the way the programme thinks it should look...

I walked away from the Canadian forum for about 6 months, after one "upgrade" became impossible to work with. It took them weeks and weeks to sort the bugs.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes fine - but experience says otherwise...

Cheers, Vann.
Hi Vann, I hope you wont find it a retrograde step. Yes it will be different but please take a look and raise any problems with us and we will try and help.
A lot of work has gone into the new version and has had a lot of testing by a number of current members
Bob

In this case they are moving onto the Xenforo platform, yes the same platform as the UKW which can only be a great step forward and get them out of the dark ages.

Cheers, Vann.
Hopefully it will be smoother than that experience!
There has already been a complete dry run which involved loading the forum onto a new server / upgrading the current software first and then converting to xenforo - went without a hitch... of course, no guarantees this week - but the final transfer of the domain will only take place if all is working on the new server...

In this case they are moving onto the Xenforo platform, yes the same platform as the UKW which can only be a great step forward and get them out of the dark ages.
So both the software and the opinions on that forum will be out of the dark ages... now we just wait for lots of people on UKW to achieve both as well ;)

Hopefully it will be smoother than that experience!
There has already been a complete dry run which involved loading the forum onto a new server / upgrading the current software first and then converting to xenforo - went without a hitch... of course, no guarantees this week - but the final transfer of the domain will only take place if all is working on the new server...
Are you already preparing the ads which ask for donations to keep the site running because it costs hundreds of thousands a year :ROFLMAO:

I know it needs an update but I will be sad to see the old site go, I quite like that it's a bit quirky, makes it feel authentic.

People tend to not like change, I remember when this place was updated members were threatening to leave for reasons like they didn't like the shade of blue used......2 weeks later it's all forgotten about and everything seems normal.........

I know it needs an update but I will be sad to see the old site go, I quite like that it's a bit quirky, makes it feel authentic.

People tend to not like change, I remember when this place was updated members were threatening to leave for reasons like they didn't like the shade of blue used......2 weeks later it's all forgotten about and everything seems normal.........
It is though on old software which is very vulnerable to attacks and spam - it is not responsive so is a very poor experience on mobiles - it is not good at uploading photos etc. (and what we do is quite a visual hobby) - lots of good reasons to update...

as for colour - I wonder whether it could be made to cycle through colours so like a stopped clock it is right for everyone at least once a day?! :)

I will agree that it now has kerb appeal and looks so much better and will no doubt have more functionality, the old site looked like a worn out pair of slippers in desperate need of replacing !

To OP:
I just visited the site, can't help but join soon. I am a member to many forums on different areas.

Back