Wooden cross design would love some assistance please???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much for all your suggestions
IN the end I decided to make a 1/3 model to see what was possible - and it was much more straightforward than I thought. I did it in some rough scraps of walnut and it is 22 inches long
I just did a halving joint which was easy, then marked out all the mitres carefully with pencil (will use marking knife for the real thing), then using a combination of the Bosch 10.8V multitool and the Bosch 10.8V sabre saw (have hardly used either) rough cut the mitred edges, finished with a rebate plane and chisels.
The back I have left that central square piece and just done the mitres on the limbs as I think it is a bit flimsy with the mitres cut right back
7219687030_fa7990d534.jpg

Thanks again
Mark

Looks good.
Looks like real woodwork too. No faking with dominos, mdf etc :lol:

Great job gasman
We all tend to think about jobs a little bit to much and then be surprised at how simple they turn out.
Anyway well done.
ATB
Teckel

Teckel":z8c9puyn said:
Great job gasman
We all tend to think about jobs a little bit to much and then be surprised at how simple they turn out.

Sometimes it's the careful thinking that makes 'em simple...

BugBear

Thanks guys
The 'client' was delighted with the result and I am just waiting to hear what inscription they want on the cross
Best wishes
Mark

A bit late to the party, but heres how i would do it

cross1.jpg

and then this

cross2.jpg

Which i think is what Andy was saying.

That's showing off your sketch up skills! Amazing - how long did it take you to do that?
Thanks again for the input and I agree an elegant solution - but I am still inclined to go down the 2 pieces rather than 1 - as I can also bring some metalwork - i.e. stainless steel screws from the back of the cross. I will also have to find some stainless steel 20mm rods/brackets to mount the whole cross to the wall so it is 'suspended'
Regards
MArk

Aww shucks!

Theres not a lot of skill involved in sketchup to produce that, it's just a matter of using over a period of time and things just become easier. I've probably been using it for about 5 years, but pretty infrequently. I did have a couple of false starts with it, but a bit of perseverance and it gets easier. Plenty of tutorials out there. That drawing probably took less than 10 mins, it's just straight lines and a couple of components, nothing is to scale.

Latest posts

Back