Wooden coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rjcagnew

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning

I would like to turn this pine slice of trunk into a coffee table . Basically dry then reduce , level , sand, finish and attach some metal legs to the underside .But have a few questions if anyone could advise ...

1. Bark on or off? My view would be off as once it dries out the bark would just fall off anyway surely? But then my wife sent me a picture of a similar table with bark still attached?

2. any easy way to reduce the height? I am going to build a router sled to level it off. Suppose could just keep doing this but would take a while. I did think if I took my circular saw made a series of cuts 1cm across and then chisel off. But appears still too wet for this. Would prefer to make smaller now so dries out quicker. Don’t have a chainsaw .... how about an angle grinder with a carving attachment? Any ideas would be great

many thanks

Attachments

• 70F1902F-90C5-4D69-A019-2B63C7B6AA3B.jpeg
    70F1902F-90C5-4D69-A019-2B63C7B6AA3B.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 8
I suspect it will crack into chunks as it dries and the bark fall off I’m afraid. Till it’s dry you don’t want to use anything more subtle than a chainsaw on it

you can make some things from it with big cracks in it still, it that’s your thing

Aidan

I've heard of bark and the sub-layers being reinforced with clear, hard setting synthetic resins...... but don't ask me any more than that - I don't know the details.

You may consider allowing the main chunk to dry right through, split radially as needed until you have a stable, dry chunk, then bridge the main gaps, both sides, with contrasting Dutchmen. It would reinforce the cracks and make a decorative finish to each side.

Just a thought........
Good luck,

Back