Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Wooden clock gears.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

HAKAMA

Reaction score
Hello, I am going to try to do something that I have never done before and that is to make a wooden gear clock, I have the plans which calls for the gears to be made from 3/8 inch birch plywood which I cannot get where I live but I may be able to get 9mm plywood. Will that do. I am used to metalworking but not so good with wood. I do have the use of a Clarks bandsaw and lathe also a Delta scroll saw and would be most grateful for any advice on the cutting of the gears, I live on an island and sourcing material can be difficult, Thank you.

paulrbarnard

Established Member
Reaction score
I would expect 9mm to be fine. Sounds like a great project!

The scroll saw should be great but it might be an excuse for a CNC laser cutter 😜

Terrytpot

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know what sort of accuracy you're aiming for but maybe this can provide food for thought

Yojevol

Clocking on
Reaction score
I've just completed my 2nd clock (hopefully I'll post a video tomorrow). All the gears are made in 6mm ply. My first attempt used 6 and 12mm ply but if I were making it again I'd use 6mm. 9mm will be fine.
If you search for clock under my username you'll find what I have posted so far.
Brian

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said already about 9mm being OK. Converted to Imperial it is 0.354 whereas 3/8" is 0.375 or 9.525mm so just a little 'shy'. You may well have to adjust some other dimensions if there are more than 2 gears on one spindle but as long as you take that into account you shouldn't have a problem.

Cutting the teeth needs some care but the good thing is that you don't need to be too concerned about the fit being 'loose'. In fact some clearance can be a benefit since gears in a Clock always move in the same direction so 'backlash' isn't an issue.

Since you are used to metalworking you may be familiar with 'Involute' form gear teeth but I would strongly recommend that you avoid this form opting instead for 'Cyclodal' form or at least straight sides.

I use CorelDRAW! to create my gear drawings but if you have bought plans you may have full size templates.

You may find my W.I.P. in the [Projects] section interesting, though it is an on-going thread - mostly concerned with using a CNC approach to making a clock.