Wooden boat question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

I have just added another boat to my fleet :?

This one is clinker built , mahogany on oak , my question is this

Has anyone on here ever had a go at replacing damaged planks , as this boat needs 2 renewing , ??

yacht1.jpg

this is boat 4 :lol:

I've done a couple . Are they above or below the waterline ?

Well i'm no expert at this but the ones i did we used green timber , copper nails predrilled through the planks and frames with a rove on the end of the nail . You predrill much like you would a screw then bang in the nail and someone on the frame side put a rove on the end as the nail pokes through , you then use a roving tool to hold the rove tight to the frame while the plank side hit the nail home just under the plank surface . You then caulk it after all planks have been done . Thats how we did it .

Alf will probably have all the tools you wont be able to find to do this job as housewives often buy these tools as ornaments , making boatbuilding a lost art :twisted:

Errrm, was going to say:

Been there, done that.

Replace like with like, use copper rivets, and bronze screws where necessary not brass.

If the plank is to be under the waterline then don't worry about fag paper fit, caulking and the inevitable swelling once in the water will take care of it.

For goodness sake don't cut a plank to size and then take it indoors for a week. DAMHIKT.

but then I noticed your boat is clinker built, so some of the above is probably applicable, for the rest I suggest you talk to someone with appropriate experience.

:slinks away quietly:

JFC":15t601g7 said:
Alf will probably have all the tools you wont be able to find to do this job as housewives often buy these tools as ornaments , making boatbuilding a lost art :twisted:

Can't wait for the response on this one :lol: :lol:

Waka":2u9wudo8 said:
JFC":2u9wudo8 said:

Can't wait for the response on this one :lol: :lol:

Oh please God let it be soon :) :) :)

JFC":32yexrwy said:
Alf will probably have all the tools you wont be able to find to do this job as housewives often buy these tools as ornaments :twisted:

Alf has posted pics on a caulking hammer she collected My betting is she even got left handed ones too :lol: where's my coat? :lol:

What's up, chaps - post count not going quickly enough for you? Or perhaps too quickly and you want me to go away and sulk in silence...

Cheers, Alf

alf
the date and time i predicted , has come and gone
so no new hand plane for me :(

Back