Wooden boat repairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the timber in the boat except the thole pins is spruce. The same timber as Brits call Norway Spruce. Ideal for a light and flexible hull.
I will steam the garboards and cramp them onto overbent moulds so that when I fit them the twist is already there.

This boat type was developed from oar and sail driven predecessors to make the most of a small cheap inboard on a straight shaft. This one originally had a 4hp Bernard. An outboard would be very impractical.
In our era of energy shortages and climate change I hope this type of energy efficient boats would return. A decilitre or two of fuel per nautical mile at 5 knots. Or why not a small electric motor running for hours on a small battery pack. An optional spritsail as auxillary power.

All the timber in the boat except the thole pins is spruce. The same timber as Brits call Norway Spruce. Ideal for a light and flexible hull.
I will steam the garboards and cramp them onto overbent moulds so that when I fit them the twist is already there.

This boat type was developed from oar and sail driven predecessors to make the most of a small cheap inboard on a straight shaft. This one originally had a 4hp Bernard. An outboard would be very impractical.
In our era of energy shortages and climate change I hope this type of energy efficient boats would return. A decilitre or two of fuel per nautical mile at 5 knots. Or why not a small electric motor running for hours on a small battery pack. An optional spritsail as auxillary power.
Thanks for that.
I have seen outboards on this type of boat - on a frame & board, but they are not pretty .
A small electric engine would be ideal with solar panels on board to charge during the long northern day.

The old rotten keel and garboards are now removed. Pulling all those old galvanized nails without damaging the lands was very laborious. I set up the boat in a sort of improvised cradle to maintain it's shape while essential parts are removed. New garboards are steam bent onto overbent moulds. I am working on a new inner keel. I am forced to make the T-shaped keel in two parts an inner and an outer so I can slide in the garboards from below.

Attachments

• IMG_5302.JPG
    IMG_5302.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5305.JPG
    IMG_5305.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5310.JPG
    IMG_5310.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Stroke sanders are way more useful than people think. Sometimes they sell for little more than scrap value. I paid 400 euros for this one but I had to rebuild it completely and ever re-engineer some parts.

Another Göteborgseka for which I have made the bow and stern seats as well as plenty of custom stainless steel rig fittings got launched this summer
View attachment 145527

The next boat project is getting started. This 19 foot double ender needs a new keel and new garboards and new stem knee. The boat was built locally soon after the war. It was built by eye without drawings as they all were. I like the shape so much that I will make a set of full size moulds and put in storage in case someone some day wants a nice little motorboat.
View attachment 145528
Thats a hell of a tall mast on that.

Three things could easily go wrong in my oppinion:
1. Wasting too much time on furniture grade surfaces. Those fancy yachts with perfect varnish on them look great but in practice no commoner can spend that much time on a boat. It is better to aim at a good workboat finish and finish the project and go boating than to end up with a perfectly smooth unfinished hull and no means to ever finish the project.
2. Too little time. It takes time to learn to do things right. Boatbuilding is done largely by eye and as the perception of shapes has to be trained progress is slow from the start if you want to get it right.
3. Too large boat. There are any number of large unfinished boats left behind by hobby builders who just bit off more than they could chew.

The rest is just plain woodwork. I have never built a boat and I have no formal training as a boatbuilder but I rekon I could build a simple clinker boat if I wanted. My grandfather and my uncle have both built boats for their own use and none of us has ever been a real boatbuilder.

I have only learned traditional clinker building and know nothing about plywood building. It looks very difficult to me and yet people on the internet claim that plywood is easier for an amateur than clinker. I just don't know. The building method is totally foreign to me and maybe that is why it looks so difficult.

Per Brohäll was a very reputable designer with a knack for writing easy to follow instructions. Nothing exceptional about the boats but I have never heard on any exceptional weaknesses either. That is all I know about him.

I grew up sailing a Joemarin 17 with my parents. A plastic boat much in the style of a Stanley 19. I came to dislike this type of boat because in theese sizes nothing fits a full size adult. It was essentially a scaled down 22-23 foot boat and we humans were not scaled down. The fin keel was a nuissance in our shallow waters. When it's almost vertical forward edge banged into a boulder on the seafloor it was dead stop in a fell milliseconds. When it dug itself into sand or mud it was hard to get out. In short I don't like that type of boat for our cirkumstances.
If you are of small and slight build sailing in deep water it may be a totally different matter to you and then the stanley 19 may be just right for you. We are all rather tall in my family. Me at 193 cm tall and my father at 181 and my mother at 183.

I have only learned traditional clinker building and know nothing about plywood building. It looks very difficult to me and yet people on the internet claim that plywood is easier for an amateur than clinker. I just don't know. The building method is totally foreign to me and maybe that is why it looks so difficult.

Per Brohäll was a very reputable designer with a knack for writing easy to follow instructions. Nothing exceptional about the boats but I have never heard on any exceptional weaknesses either. That is all I know about him.

I grew up sailing a Joemarin 17 with my parents. A plastic boat much in the style of a Stanley 19. I came to dislike this type of boat because in theese sizes nothing fits a full size adult. It was essentially a scaled down 22-23 foot boat and we humans were not scaled down. The fin keel was a nuissance in our shallow waters. When it's almost vertical forward edge banged into a boulder on the seafloor it was dead stop in a fell milliseconds. When it dug itself into sand or mud it was hard to get out. In short I don't like that type of boat for our cirkumstances.
If you are of small and slight build sailing in deep water it may be a totally different matter to you and then the stanley 19 may be just right for you. We are all rather tall in my family. Me at 193 cm tall and my father at 181 and my mother at 183.
That's what I'm concerned about I don't want a fin keel boat as I cannot trail her! Would like to trailer her to Poole harbour, Devon East / west coast etc.

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/building-ryd-16-9-rocky-hull-21.58922/page-7
This one looks nice!

I cannot comment on it. This is not because of any kind of politeness...... politeness isn't one of my habits. I just know nothing about that style of boatbuilding and I am fully aware of my total lack of knowledge. Except it looks very difficult to me. Though they say it is easier than the things I do.

I cannot comment on it. This is not because of any kind of politeness...... politeness isn't one of my habits. I just know nothing about that style of boatbuilding and I am fully aware of my total lack of knowledge. Except it looks very difficult to me. Though they say it is easier than the things I do.
Np

This looks interesting as the designer is probably the most well known designer in your country.... Yet was designed for an English tool manufacturers competition.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32544072...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That's what I'm concerned about I don't want a fin keel boat as I cannot trail her! Would like to trailer her to Poole harbour, Devon East / west coast etc.

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/building-ryd-16-9-rocky-hull-21.58922/page-7
This one looks nice

It might be worth taking a look then at some Ian Oughtred designs. They are mainly ply/epoxy construction, well described & straightforward to build. Most are also designed for UK sailing of one sort or another.

Fitting the outer keel I had to make the keel in two parts to enable me to assemble it.
IMG_5401.JPG

Shaping the outer keel with spindle moulder and hatchet. When I was working it struck me how some youtube celebrities would have spent weeks building router jigs for the work I did in a couple of hours.
IMG_5402.JPG

The "new" engine has arrived. A 2 hp Wickström
IMG_5398.JPG

Love the engine 😍😍
I wish someone would start making this sort of small inboard engines again. Preferably modernised with overhead valves to allow for a better shaped combustion chamber to cut down fuel consumption even further.
Bröderna Wickströms Motorfabrik was disolved in 1980 and most of the casting patterns are lost. However it wouldn't be too hard to reverse engineer a motor and make new patterns.... if there only was more time and more money.....

In our time with rising fuel prices coinciding with the need to radically cut fuel consumption this would be a feasible future for motor boating. A 2-5 hp inboard on a straight shaft in a sleek easily driven displacement hull chugging away at 4 or maybe 5 knots.

Back